RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colors for Colorization

Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 PM

lonk,

well, i'd still like to see it. your work is exemplary and worth showing. what little 'criticisms' i made were minor compared to the overall work done. so, i'd love to see it and in a slightly larger version if possible.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks, MajorSONAR. I’ve done only about a dozen colorizations, so I’m not really qualified to teach you much. Furthermore, I use PhotoImpact, which apparently few others use. The steps I use probably wouldn’t be of much help to you if you use another editor.

I can say, though, that I think it’s most important to begin with a solid base with a full range of tones. The more time I spend optimizing my base, the better my final results. Then, for skin/hair colors, my biggest asset is Bruce’s Skintones Color Chart and Hair Color Chart (found http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/colors.html). I primarily use a Colorize Pen tool to paint the color on a selection object, then tweak it with hue/sat and opacity adjustments. On top I overlay a gray adjustment layer to selectively darken/lighten or add minor color accents. “The devil’s in the details!”

I’m sure you can get some excellent guidance from the fine folks here at RP if you post some of your efforts. That’s certainly how I’ve learned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 02:41 PM

OK, Craig. Here's the alternate colorization. Sadly, it loses a lot in the translation to JPEG. I'd love to show you something larger, but alas, this is the size of my original source. I do try to work on an enlarged version, but it is really sad with aweful JPEG artifacts, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeanK5.jpg (42.6 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 PM

lonk,

excellent! spot-on!

and thank you for the extra posting!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Top-notch job, Lonnie! The colors look great!! I really like the choice of background too. Very nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 PM

Moving on...

I want to thank y'all for the kudos. Ya really know how to boost someone's ego! I don't know any of ya from Adam, but when I see such responses from folks with 1000's of posts on this board, I expect they've seen and done a heck of lot more than I have. You've certainly given me impetus to charge ahead.

I have 100's of old family photos in various states of "abuse". Here's my next challenge. It's the same fella, a few years later, posing with his grandparents who essentially raised him. They'd be my great-great-grandparents! The photo was probably taken around 1912. Yes, this is the full size I have to work with (converted to JPEG for RP). The original is a scan in TIF format weighing in at about 650KB. The grain artifacts look to be a real joy to overcome. If anyone would like to take a shot at it, be my guest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrownChal1.jpg (93.9 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Patron

Using Neat Image

This is your picture after running Neat Image on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrownChal1.jpg (70.6 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 PM

That's certainly a striking improvement, Phil. I've been seeing a number of references to "Neat Image". Is that a PS function or plugin? I wonder if I could use it with PhotoImpact. I guess I better do some research, eh?

This is what I came up with, partially through my process for establishing a good colorization base. I haven't reduced grain as much as you did, but I think I got a bit more detail in the highlights which I find helps later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrownFamily2.jpg (47.0 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM

neat image

http://www.neatimage.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 09:31 PM

Just a few comments about choosing colors. A great place to get ideas is to look at paintings, or color portraits.
When choosing skin colors, don't limit yourself to one particular color (no one's face is one single color, unless you're in a Willy Wonka movie). The same color theory goes for everything else in the image as well.
If you're going to be coloring a lot of images, it might be worthwhile to check out some sites offering information about period styles, color, and fashion.

Hope you don't mind a critique on the Neat Image technique....
For some reason, it looks as just the skin has been smoothed and softened, while the clothing looks crisp. I would try to even that out, so that the texture/noise/grain is more uniform.

All that said, here's my version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeanK-.jpg (52.4 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching