RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colors for Colorization

Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Patron

Lonk, Using Surface Blur in CS-2

Another filter that works with your photo besides Neat Image is Photoshops (CS-2) Surface Blur. I used a Radius of 11 and a Threshold of 30 on your photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trio.jpg (66.3 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Neat Image is a noise reduction plugin. there is a free version, which can only be used as a stand-alone program, and the pro, pay-for version, which can be used stand-alone or as a plugin. it's a good program, but has a bit of a learning curve to it. you'll see it mentioned on retouch a LOT.

however, since going to paint shop pro 9 (and now 10), i prefer the routine for noise reduction in it. it's called 'digital camera noise removal' and is as good as or better than Neat Image and has a smaller learning curve.

you'll also want to check out Polaroid's Dust and Scratch removal program. this one is a free plugin from Polaroid and can also be used as a stand-alone.

i'm attaching two images here. the first is one using just psp's digital noise removal. in this one i attempted to remove as much noise as possible using just it and nothing else. the second is one using digi noise removal AND polaroid's D&S. the point being here that often a combination of programs using a bit less strength in each can produce a better effect than just the one when used at a higher strength.

psp does a great job by itself, but you have to sometimes do a lot 'blending' to get it all. polaroid uses a different method and by itself will tend to do a lot of blurring and blending to get all the noise as well. but, when the two are combined and you dont try to do it all with one program, this can often work very well together.

notice in the first one that there is a fair amount of smudging in order to get rid of the noise. and in the second one that there is more detail. also notice by doing an overlay of these two images, that the one using the polaroid has a tendency to wipe out some areas. this could have been prevented by using a mask or selection. i didnt here just for the sake of demonstration. the wiping of some areas was from the polaroid plugin because of the way it does its routine. even with fairly low settings this is going to happen in the polaroid one as a plugin. as a stand-alone you can adjust the mask in d&S and prevent this. as a plugin you are expected to mask first and then use the routine. so, it's a bit tricky at times.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg digital noise 1-k-1.jpg (97.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg digi-noise-polaroid-1-k-1.jpg (96.0 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2006, 02:55 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions and tips. I'm off to DL Neat Image and the Polaroid tool and try them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 09:51 AM

Here's my final result. How'd I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrownFamily.jpg (64.6 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Great work!!!

Does neatimage works on Mac?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Very well done! Your colorization has developed individuality of people on the photograph, especially red-headed boy behind. Clothing looks very nice also. Did you have a sample for the chosen colors?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Patron

Colorization

Lonk very nice. The colors are very pleasing to me.

StudioJ. Neat Image is available for the Mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 03:33 PM

Thanks guys.

Yes, studioj, NeatImage is available for Mac on their site. I didn't use it on this though. I did run it through Kodak GEM once.

OnAir, I used different skin tones for each to differentiate. I had no color samples for anything. It's all just guessing. I did take advice given in this thread and looked at many painted portraits of that time period to get a feel for appropriate colors. Also, since I was a portrait photographer for 15 years, I know people rarely dress to compliment each other for a group photo. They dress for their own tastes only -- of course in those days, most country folk only had one set of "Sunday best", so it wasn't really a matter of choice. I tried to similate that kind of situation a bit. As a cabinet maker for another 15 years, I figured the chair was red mahogany, so went with that to base my color choice. The colors in the rug seemed likely for that style of weave -- kind of persian. Hair was a toss-up. Gray is a real PITA. The tints in the background were chosen based on classically stylized painted portrait backdrops. In the end I felt it all came together quite realistically and most certainly an improvement on what I had to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Just a few comments about choosing colors. A great place to get ideas is to look at paintings, or color portraits.
When choosing skin colors, don't limit yourself to one particular color (no one's face is one single color, unless you're in a Willy Wonka movie). The same color theory goes for everything else in the image as well.
If you're going to be coloring a lot of images, it might be worthwhile to check out some sites offering information about period styles, color, and fashion.

Hope you don't mind a critique on the Neat Image technique....
For some reason, it looks as just the skin has been smoothed and softened, while the clothing looks crisp. I would try to even that out, so that the texture/noise/grain is more uniform.

All that said, here's my version.
Vikki, I love the colors and tones in this version on his face and hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 PM

ok, lonk, how nit-picky do you want me to get here

first off, i'll say i doubt i could do any better. my problem is that i can see better than i can correct, so take anything i say on this with that in mind. it's currently my biggest frustration that i cant meet what i know shld be, which may be why i get so nit-picky with others

i'll just mention a couple of things to start. i doubt her blouse has any violet in it, but there is a violet cast in there in your image. the boy looks really good. the man's white beard looks just a tiny bit pasted on and the same with that shock of hair on his right side... too much contrast between the hair and surriounding areas. there also seems to be a bit too much orange in the old man's face. the woman's face is a bit too pasty.

all that being said, it's still a very good job and like i mentioned earlier, far better than what i could do myself. if i were grading it i would give it an A- .

and vikki, that is an excellent job!

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching