RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advanced color shading - how the hell did he do that?:-)

Old 05-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Hi Faust,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but usually i'm pretty good at this type of thing.

Each image is a little different.

Try desaturating the picture to begin with, but not completely. Then go into the channels pallette and duplicate a channel a couple times and make some simple masks, if you know how. What you're going for with the masks is to create ones with varying contrast, so you can get at the darks and lights to varying degrees. You'll need these as you go along. However, the effect can be achieved without masks.

Then think about the hue you want as the primary hue for the pic. This guy likes blues. They're moody. This hue, along with contrast, and the wispy nature of the photos themselves is what tricks the eyes and draws them in and provokes an emotional reaction to the photo. This is the secret.

When you have the hue right, work on the contrast, or vice versa, doesn't matter. His pics are very contrasty.

There's a couple things to help finish it that will make a big difference. You need to either make selections or use the masks as selections that I recommended you make at the beginning. These masks (or selections) would be used to either/or, further boost contrast in specific areas, but more importantly, add subtle changes to hues, and you'd do that by using the tools in ps for colour, such as selective colour, colour balance, or curves, or whatever you're comfortable with. Even variations might work, as would duotones.

Also, consider experimenting with with screen and multiply modes and adding layer masks or just erase if you don't use layer masks. The multiply layers would be for the shadows of the pic, and the screen would be for the highlights. Reduce opacity for both of these layers though.

Also, add a layer on top of the layer order and put black gradients (to transparency) into the corners and darker regions that you want to de-emphasize and play with the layers' opacity. This will further draw the viewers focus into what you want them to be looking at, which in the case of your personal photo is the girl's face, esp her eyes and lips.

I've seen this thread several times here; it's a nice effect he does. With the original photo the effect can be duplicated just as he does it by measuring the hue/sat and other issues with the pic using photoshop's info pallette. This is a worthwhile tool to learn to use. I think most people aren't aware it exists or don't know how to use it.

I hope this helps. You'll have to experiment. A tutorial would be much easier to follow and since seeing this thread repeated several times I considered putting a tutorial together so people could get some ideas on how this is accomplished and return to it later, but last time I wrote one for this site several people trashed it so I'm done with tutorials here. Perhaps I'll put one up for this on my personal site if I get around to it.

I hope this helps anyway - if you like the effect but I was unclear, just pm me.

gl,

mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg id13121-1148054596copy.jpg (83.1 KB, 607 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Mig, that looks great! i don't know about anyone else, but i'd like to learn more details.

Marsha
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 02:30 PM

wow Mig!

That looks amazing, I'd love to learn from you too. Please let us know if you do a tutorial on it on your site
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Hi, just a thought but have you tried a low opacity grad map and then just brushed the bits back in you want? I'm very impressed with this guy's work....

Have you tried emailing him? I can't see him turning you away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 PM

leuallen: that´s a good point, thank you. it actually crossed my mind as well. Here´s my other picture to play with, I think that the colours and background are much more suitable for emphasizing the effect - http://www.fotoaparat.cz/g/06/05/04/226588_bfff3.jpg

Mig: thank you, I think you are close to the desired look. I know how to use techniques such as painting with light, blue channel etc separately, but just cant figure it out. any tutorial welcome!

Squggle: yes that´s definitely part of the process, I am trying that as well I know the photographer pretty well, but he quite understandably doesn´t want to share his magic sometimes he organizes a small workshop here in Czech Rep., I promise I will share the secret with you all once I take a share in it here are some more pictures if you like his style - http://www.klucivespolek.cz/web/ . P.S.: please forgive me my horrible english
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 11:22 AM

Ok, I had to give this a try as well. How's this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AGmypick4 play before.jpg (89.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg AGmypick4 play after.jpg (96.2 KB, 347 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 12:24 PM

Tried the new picture you listed.

Feel like I am getting closer but not there yet.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226-LL.jpg (97.3 KB, 204 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 PM

I gave it a try as well with your pic. But I am wondering if it is more the lighting that makes the biggest difference? Maybe if in your image the light were more from the side as in the example you are going for, it would be easier to get a match?

(some rough making here - sorry.)

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226588_bfff3 my try.jpg (92.1 KB, 139 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM

I have to agree with you that it´s the lighting that makes the biggest difference. take a look at a few pictures made by a mate of mine today, with a 500W strobe/flash and softbox above the models. the first one is without ANY ps corrections, just underexposing the background during the shot and changing the white balance from raw... in the second picture, the left part is just slightly saturated with reds and yellows emphasized, the second one a bit desaturated, that´s all... I thing I am selling my CS2 and getting a new softbox guys:o)

http://www.neweselo.com/_galls/ukazka.jpg
http://www.neweselo.com/_galls/ktery.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Yeah I am on my way to getting some lighting - wish I could say it was decent lighting. But, I will have to save up for that. Say - how much you want for CS2? lol

As it is I cannot even afford decent strobes. But I know I have alot to learn about lighting, so I will wait to make that investment, after I figure out what I am doing with my cheap-o set of hot lights. BTW - can you use soft boxes with hot lights? Or am I going to be limited to the umbrellas?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching