RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advanced color shading - how the hell did he do that?:-)

Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM

1STLITE: you mean permanent lighting or how is it called? sorry I don´t know the english terminology much. I think so, depends on the temperature. I have been using some cheap halogens that are usually meant for building sites etc, and they were WAY too hot for even an umbrella, which started to melt after a while:-D I am using just normal system flashes (one speedlite 420EX and two 80´s Metz flashes) and umbrellas so far and it suits me on my current low photographic level I think I don´t know the situation in the US but here in Czech Republic you can buy even many sorts of "professional-wannabe" strobes imported straight from China, for amazing prices. For example a decent set of two 350W strobes with stands, 160cm softboxes, umbrellas and radio trigger for around $1000. these pictures were shot with the same setup from the same brand, just in 500W version by the way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM

Yeah that is what I am talking about saving up for. Can't really swing that 1000 right now. I am this week ordering a cheap-o set of Smith-Vector lights KT900 I think is the name of the set). comes with two umbrellas, two lights and a smaller hair light on a boom-thingy, and stands for all of them, a case with wheels to carry it all in, and a book on lighting, all for less than $300. I just know I gotta have some lights for now - having to wait for the weather to be right is not fun.

Check out Alien Bees. I have gotten ALOT of recommendations that they are great lights. Only down side I have heard is that you b asicly are stuck buying alien bees accessories - softboxes and such - because their mounts are different than others. That is what I understand about them anyway - but no personal experience there.

I am excited about getting the set of SV lights though. I can't wait to start experimenting. Since I can't put the sun where I want it, I am currently stuck waiting all day for it to get into position for me - lol.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM

I know the alien bees from some forums on the internet, they probably dont have any branches here in europe. most renowned brands around here are probably Bowens and Hensel, but they are way too expensive for me. For the price of a single light I can buy entire set with softboxes etc elsewhere. I really need something portable as I am travelling a lot, I like shooting outdoors and in various locations, I don´t have a car and moving all those strobes, stands, huge softboxes and a generator is my nightmare + the need of some strong electric supply in case of permanent lights is pretty limiting for me. I like using those old shabby flashes, worth a few bucks, that fit in any pocket anyway, I got a 1yr intership in Beijing from this september, I may find some alien bees or bowens for factory prices around there and let you know:-D lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Good luck Faust! I envy your internship. My photography is while I am not being Mommy, and with no formal training. Good luck with it!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 PM

I had a go too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226588_bfff3-srj.jpg (98.2 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 PM

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino
I was just discussing this metallic look with a friend of mine, and we boiled it down to several of the things discussed here...good lighting/makeup/model/photo quality... also the use of a diffuser to prevent any harsh lighting. In PS I think slight overall desaturation, then removal of yellows to give the coolness. Increasing the contrast will really make the highlights pop. This is a photo I pulled off stock exchange to use as an example.

-Kate
Is that a picture taken by you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust
I am looking for the contrasty look like http://www.klucivespolek.cz/web/in%2...he-city-FA.jpg . It seemingly not JUST desaturation, but also some painting with light and something with curves. In the other thread focused on this style, many people tried to imitate it from a source image from the same photographer - http://www.klucivespolek.cz/web/Lenk...-u-2005-FA.jpg - which is pretty easy, as it´s a low-key picture which seemingly recieved some "treatment" already It´s easy to achieve this cold look on that one just by using selective color/photo filter. But I just cant achieve it on a normal picture, with high contrast and fully bright colors etc. for example a picture I took last week: http://www.photopost.cz/foto/2006/05...1148054596.jpg . Any tips?
referenced to the picture you mentioned. I used Levels, Hue/Sat./Colorize, and Paint With Light action (www.atncentral.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro1a.jpg (97.9 KB, 237 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 07:41 AM

Like It?

Is this what you have in mind ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg id13121-1148054596.jpg (93.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg A ver.jpg (97.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg A ver2.jpg (84.3 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Godmother; 06-30-2006 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Add a third option
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM

is this what you mean? if it is...something in thi sarea, maybe you give me a messag at my email?

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro-for-hudorg.jpg (99.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg retouchpro-for-hudny.jpg (94.9 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 11:38 AM

A shot....

Hey Faust, I don't even know if you're still checking this thread, I just happen to come across your post while looking for something else and gave it A Shot.

Jon

Oh, I guess I should explain what I did???

all I did was make 2 copies, the top copy I desaturated, then made it a little brighter/lighter, then went to color balance and pushed up the blue to the color I thought would work and then finally just played with/lowered the opacity so that some of the base/original colors would shine through.

I made the second copy in case I needed to make any adjustments to the color on the base layer, but I didn't need it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue 1.jpg (38.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg blue 2.jpg (41.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by SkunkyMonk; 08-19-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching