RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make hair in photoshop

Old 04-01-2006, 11:18 PM

I had copied this little girl on a new background and her hair came out too black. Can someone please tell me how to make her hair wavy again. I had used the Level white and black eyedroppers prior to making her dress white.

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img367 4-01(1).jpg (67.3 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 04-01-2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 04:04 AM

You could try painting in some lighter strands where the curls should be or drag a copy of the original image back in and mask it to just show the curls.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Patron

Some Hair Highlights

Hi Gerald, it looks like you are making nice progress on this photo. What I did to your picture was to remove the lightened area at the edge of her hair on the right. I made the hair edge/background slightly more irregular using the clone and smudge tools.

On a separate layer I painted some white streaks in the hair using a photoshop brush #112. That brush looks like a blade of grass or a piece of hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hair1.jpg (64.0 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 AM

Hi, To get a little more detail from the original photo, you could try converting the image to lab colour mode and using a tone curve on only the lightness channel.
You basically need to grab a point close to but not on the black point and drag upwards. This should make everything lighter and hopefully reveal some detail in the hair. In this case some hair shape becomes slightly visible .
You can then copy the hair from the lightness channel, undo back to the original photo and paste into a new layer. I used lightness mode for the new layer to keep the original photo colours.
To give her both sides of hair i duplicated and flipped that layer , moved it over the other side of her hair and then erased outside the edges to match her hair shape.
I gave it a quick try on the photo you posted but this should work much better if you have higher resolution originals to work from.

Hope it helps,
Angela
Attached Images
File Type: jpg littlegirlhair.jpg (39.5 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks gentlemen for the information and techniques on making the hair looks more realistic. I'll try all of them and see which one I like. Thanks again.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 AM

Why hair and skin changes color when adjustments were made?

I have a problem, I would like to know why the hair and skin change color when I had made some adjustments to the photo. For example, the hair color in the original wasn't dark, as soon as I use the color balance, hue saturation, level, or curve, the skin and hair changes color. Can someone please tell me how and what layers to use so that the changes can take place in a specific area of the photo. In other words, I would like to make changes to the dress and not affect the hair and skin.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Patron

Selective adjustments

Well, Gerald There are several ways to isolate parts of the photo to make changes. What I usually do is select the part of the photo I am interested in and copy the selection to a new layer and make the correction there.

Another way is to copy the whole background layer to a new layer and make your corrections and then use a layer mask with the mask painted black. Then on this new, masked layer you paint the mask with a white brush to reveal areas of the picture you want changed.

You can select areas on the same layer to make changes which may be quicker but it also can mess up the photo.

So those are a few ways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 AM

Phil when you said copying a selection to a new layer you meant layer via copy? In other words, I would make a selection with the magnetic lasso and then copy that selection to a new layer. First, lets say I had just used the level or curve layer, how can I put the layer via copy above the level or curve layer. Second, how can I blend in the color around her forehead.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Patron

Layers.

Your right. Using Photoshop

If you have a portion of the photo you want to work on, you can select that portion and "copy to a new layer." Make a selection; then in the menu at the top of the screen select Layer/New/Layer via copy. That will copy the contents of your selection to a new layer on top of the selection. A quick way to do that is to make a selection and then use the Control + J key or in a mac the Command + J.

The second part of your question is "What to do if I have used a levels adjustment layer and I want to make a layer that combines the background (bottom) layer + the adjustment layer. Photoshop help calls that to "stamp all visible layers." What you do is hold down the alt/Option-Mac and in the layers palette select merge visible layers. That will create a new layer on the top combining what you were seeing below the layer. In your case the background layer plus the levels adjustment layer you placed. The Keyboard shortcut for that is: Shift+Control+Alt+E.

The final part is how to blend layers. To blend the whole layer you can dial the opacity of the layer down from 100% to any value that you want.

Another way is to add a layer mask. That will be colored white and when you select that option in the layers palette the mask will be selected. You can tell that by a thickening of the mask frame in the layer icon. When the mask is selected you can then paint the mask with black to hide parts of that layer you don't want to be seen.

I guess its time to stop rambling on but using layers is a very important tool to use in retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching