RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Snake Skin

Old 12-30-2001, 11:08 AM

Your welcome Ed. Alot of good people who are willing to exchange ideas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2001, 08:18 PM

snakeskin

Anthony,

Here's what I did, it's not perfect--but seems somewhat better. Of course I didn't do any retouching, just focused on the "snakeskin" problem.

I'm working in Picture Publisher, but I'll try to translate into Photoshop where I can.

As I see it, there are a couple of problems here:

If what you posted is what you scanned, I would have adjusted the exposure on the scan to acquire more detail in the shadows and I would have scanned at a very high resolution. Does your scanner have a "de-screen" function? Does it help?

Here's what I did with the image you posted:

1) using the "Average" interpolation, I increased the size to 1200 ppi.

2) in order to unblock the shadows and increase the detail in the low end: reduce the contrast of the image until it all smooths out and is pretty gray (don't adjust the brightness)---I'm sure the Pic Pub scale is different than Photoshop, but I reduced the contrast about 3/4 or a little more of the total possible reduction.

3) Ok, since that now looks like crap, we have to fix the histogram. I went into "tone balance". I don't know what it's called in Photoshop, but it's the one where you can set the black pt, white pt. and mid. It's pointless to give numbers here---but set the three points until it looks good to you. Set all three independently; don't let the mid move with one of the ends.

4) Good, that looks better! Now your noise and interference kind of looks like mostly horizontal line patterns. So,

5) Duplicate the base layer

6) reposition the layer to x=9, y=0. In other words lower the top layer by 9 pixels. Merge/ combine with the base layer (flatten the image) using the Luminance mode at a 50% transparency on the top layer. Use whatever value you like--9 works pretty good.

7) You have now cancelled out a good deal of the horizontal banding, but have not affected the facial features too badly.

8) Apply the unsharp mask at about a radius of 4 and a 100% factor------experiment with this one. It's important to sharpen before you shrink it back down.

9) Now, using the spline interpolation, re-size the image to 150 ppi. (or wherever)

10) you should have approx. what I attached--

11) The background still shows some banding, but the subject is pretty good. Now you can mask out the subject and do whatever you want to the background in terms of smoothing that out.

12) I worked with the RGB file but you could go to grayscale either before or after all the above

This is yet just another approach--hope it was helpful and not too weird. The histogram looks pretty gnarly--I wonder if it will print.

Regards,
wof43
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snakeskin-fix.jpg (83.0 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching