RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this look?

Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
The rest of the elements may or may not be composited but with any dodge/burn it is easy to distort the effects of the light sources and make any concrete source less distinct (pools of light).
Totally agree. I guess some of us have already used the dodge and burn tools
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
larger version here:
http://www.andreamassari.com/adv_massari_big.jpg

...she has light hitting her right side (left on the photo) of her body but the right side of her face is in shadow...
Actually if you look closely she doesn't have a shadow on the right side of her face (left side photo) She is looking in that direction and there is a clear blown out highlight on her cheek and chin. There is a shadow under her eyes but that can be attributed to her bangs. The shadow under her cheek is due to her nose and the shadow under her mouth is due to her lips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adv_massari.jpg (96.0 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Patrick,

Anybody want some homework? How about drawing some arrows with the light source(s) for the various parts of the image?

I think that pretty much solves it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adv_massari1.jpg (98.7 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
I think that pretty much solves it.
2 light sources means 2 shadows... she has only 1.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
This applies for a "normal" shot. Since she was placed into that environment I'd rather call it an error but a hint on the light-source.

Just look at the cat which was totally screwed up in this image: It doesn't cast a shadow at all. Even more, the shadow on it's chest is totally wrong anyway 'cause it's totally different than the position of the girl's leg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 AM

What a interesting set of observations. To my eye it certainly looks odd. I tried looking at in photoshop then using sort of cone shaped overlays to mimic where each highlight vs shadow would be coming from.
I certainly got confused.

The clouds indicate the sun is almost straight above. If I were standing in the field with her, standing sort of right in front of her,

oh never mind, lol, too complicated for me to try and explain my thoughts.

I suppose all the different light directions could not be explained by the use of photographers bounced light reflectors. The light is too intense in certain areas for that explanation.

The cat is definitely an addtion, In reality, it's paw on her leg would not be so distinct.

The entire image looks to my untrained eye to be a compilation of several elements, both natural and computer generated or very much computer "worked on " elements. I don't think it is the original sky either. The light sorce there looks like it is coming from more then one location.

Sorry for the lack of technical terminology.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM

That shot is not as Complicated as you all try and make it..
It is a Light source ,above her slightly, (picture left) and a flash to camera right. The first (left)Picture) is either sun or Open light source to mimic sun. I think it is Sun for sure and the other is A rim light, most likely flash.
It is all the Post that thows you off or makes the Picture "look" surreal.
The lighting is actually not that technically good. Heavt shadows and Burn Hightlights. But who cares it's "Art"...:+}
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I think in this photo, trying to find a natural explanation to the lighting/shadows across the entire photo is like trying to figure out how the gardener was able to perfectly mow DIESEL into the grass and where they were able to find such a tiny lawn mower.

It is obvious the photo has been worked on out of camera. My point is the girl was lit predominantly from two light sources (and then heavily retouched).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM

hehehe, gotta love an image, and consequent discussion about it, like this. i can actually find 4 separate light sources on this image, so artificial lighting just doesnt account for all of it. look closely at the 'sun' light source, then at the angle she's standing, then at the cat, and then at her left side (camera right). it just doesnt add up

but, oddly, it's still an interesting image.

craig

edit: oh, and if you look REAL closely, you may even find a fifth source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:52 PM

3 images (maybe 4)

First, the girl was shot alone. The lighting almost reminds me of Philip-Lorca diCorcia, (but not quite). He was known for ambushing the public with light. If you haven't heard of him, Google him and check it out.

I think the girl had 2 light sources... probably strobe, but it's hard to tell because she was composited into another image, where the lighting is very diffused. She could have been lit with natural light and a reflector. Now that I'm really looking at it, there was a shot of a winter or fall landscape where the grass was either colorized, or was stripped in from another shot. The sky could also be from a separate image, where the clouds may have been embelished as well.

The cat... who knows? In today's digital world, who would ever believe that the cat happened to pose like that when they shot the girl?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching