RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Question on adding color

Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Question on adding color

I use photoshop 6 and a Wacom tablet.
When I add color, the opacity setting (amount of color I see) is constant as long as a keep my pen down. If I lift the pen and continue coloring, if a go over a prevoius colored area, the color is "multiplied". If I do not lift the pen. I can go over colored areas again with no change. The attached picture shows what I am trying to convey. Is there some flag I have to turn on to prevent coloring "twice".

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (13.4 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM

how about setting the brush opacity to 100% and the layer opacity to the desired level (ie 10%)? works for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks

That was the ticket.
Wonder why the reverse did not work???????

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Coloring

I do what's suggested by Faust also. I have a teeny weeny wacom tablet so I am often lifting and brushing again. Plus it's not feasable to try and color something in and never lift your brush (you won't get a very natural result, and goodness knows I've tried, but I'm just not that talented :P).

Though sometimes if I have an area where I want to combine two colors that I've painted (maybe from having overlaps like your example) I then use a brush where I've specified Color Dynamics using the brush presets area. You can play around with different setting but the amount of jitter here will help blend the two colors. 57% seems to work pretty well for me. This also works well in combination with the various layers set at different opacities and can be used at the end to blend them all.

Oh yeah, I use PhotoShop CS2, so things may differ a bit depending on what program you are using.

I hope this helps a little, or if not maybe at least I've suggested something you can use in the future.

Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ex-1.jpg (37.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ex-2.jpg (80.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ex-3.jpg (43.4 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 08:08 PM

Hi,

Faust,

wlcome to RP!! ... and thanks for the great Tip!!!

Rich,

It happens while painting with the mouse as well ... I don't know if the Wacom Tablet has a special command/option to prevent this ... I know the mouse doesn't ...

That said, it only happens if your 'brush' is set to an Opacity other than 100% because as long as you keep your pen down (or the mouse button pressed) PS still regards it as your 'first hand' of colour even if you go over areas you have coloured already ... but, as soon as you lift the pen (or release the mouse button) then start again, is just like giving a 'second hand' of colour which increases the saturation when overlapping with the first...

As far as I know, the only ways to prevent this are:

* either not lift your pen until you are finished colouring the selected part (erasing the possible colour 'bleeding' afterwards),

* or, provided that you are painting on a different layer, following what Faust said ... keep your brush to 100% Opacity and 'play' with the Layer's Opacity ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 11:49 PM

some of the tools in psp 10 have a 'continuous' checkmark you can check to keep this from happening. it will only allow altering up to the original level you set with the opacity. so, if you set your brush/tool at 10% opacity, no amount of additional strokes will go beyond that no matter where you use it. also, right off the top of my head, i dont recall which ones have this or not. dont know if ps has the equivalent or not.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 AM

Thanks again

To everyone who helped answer my question, thanks.
Rich
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching