RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Newbie Question Color Fix

Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM

Thank You Flora.

This looks like another job for FilterMeister.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately I am still working with PS 7. Is there anything similar there to the Image > Adjust > Match Color?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
This looks like another job for FilterMeister.
.... I'll have to leave that to the 'brainy' ones ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Christo,

as you have surely understood from my answer to Ken, I haven't got a clue about what goes on behind the 'Match Color' Command ... I only know that it usually works!!!

What I can do is show you alternative ways to get there with any PS version which allows Adjustment Layers...

The first is described in this Tutorial .. even though it really works best with very strong colour casts ...

Another one is the 'Set Grey, (White, Black) Point, described here by Gary, which is one I still use a lot... It works both with Levels and Curves and it consists in finding the points in a picture which are commonly known to be Grey, White or Black ... Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error, but, usually, Grey could be the shadowy part of a building or darkish shadows anyway ... Black could be the pupils of the eyes ... etc.

Before doing anything, though, you should read this post with the tip from Katrin Eismann's book for setting Black and White Targets!

All these methods, however, change all the colours in the image (and, when using the 'Set White, Black Point', the contrast as well) ... even the colours you would like to keep from the original ... so, when this happens, either create a Layer Mask for your correction Layer, or use the Layer Mask which comes with the Levels/Curves Adjustment Layer and, with a Black Brush (starting from 20-30% Opacity) gradually paint over the parts you wish to restore to the 'original' colour.

The other alternatives I can think of are specific Colour Corrections by Hue/Saturation, Selective Colors and Color Balance.

Hope this helps ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 AM

OOOOoooooooooppppppsssssss... I'm going to be executed on the spot ...

I forgot to mention the cast removal by numbers, by changing to L*A*B* and acting on the a and b channels only leaving the luminosity of the image unaltered, the Apply Image Adjustment, and probably a couple of hundred more possible methods ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Color fix

Thanks for answering. When I go to your link for the Katrin Eismann's book, and try to connect to the attachment 1 and attachment 2 nothing happens.

I really appreciate your help and tutorials, although I know at times it must seem like I am a complete moron.

Your technique for making the sky blue is great and I use it frequently. The only problem I have is sometimes when I use it, it blows the color out somewhere else.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for being so understanding and sharing you expertise. It really is appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Hi Christo,

thank you so much for your kindness , and so sorry to have missed this post of yours!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
When I go to your link for the Katrin Eismann's book, and try to connect to the attachment 1 and attachment 2 nothing happens.
... the link connects to one of my replies in another Thread ... In that reply I quoted a tip from Katrin Eismann's Book about "setting the black and white target values" so that, when using Levels or Curves to set your black or white point in a picture to either minimize a colour cast or improve contrast, your shadows will never be solid black and your highlights pure white which would make you lose any detail in them.
"attachment 1 and attachment 2" in the same post, aren't links ... you simply need to scroll down the window completely and you'll see the attachments right at the bottom ... just click on the attachments to view them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
Your technique for making the sky blue is great and I use it frequently. The only problem I have is sometimes when I use it, it blows the color out somewhere else.
... If you use the "Blend if" technique you migh have to refine/correct the possible colour 'bleeding' into other parts of the picture with the help of a Layer Mask ....

Hope this helps ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching