RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Remote Collaberation

Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 AM

Remote Collaberation

um, I'm sure I spelled that header wrong, anyways

There are programs for music, where you can get online and colaberate with other people, I was just wondering if anybody knew of any programs or plugins etc where you could work remotely with someone on image editing.

It's something I;m very intrested in, does anyone know of anything or is any1 intrested in maybe developing something along those lines, I stopped proggraming years ago so I wouldnt be able to do it by myself, it might also be a great addition to this forum.

Any feedback?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 05:28 AM

Hi biskit27,

If you work with Photoshop CS2, the Version Cue Option seems to be what you are looking for...

From PS CS2 Help Files:

Quote:
Version Cue managed projects

Adobe Version Cue® is an innovative set of features designed to increase your productivity when you work alone or collaborate with others. Version Cue integrates design management into your existing workflows within and across Adobe Creative Suite components, including Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe InDesign CS2, Adobe Illustrator CS2, Adobe GoLive CS2, Adobe Acrobat 7, and Adobe Bridge. You can also work with Version Cue in Adobe InCopy CS2.

Version Cue streamlines the following tasks in Adobe Creative Suite:
  • Creating historical versions and branched alternates of your files.

• Maintaining file security.

• Organizing files into private or shared projects.

• Browsing with file thumbnails, and searching file information and version comments.

• Reviewing file information, comments, and file status in private and shared projects while you browse.
In addition, you can use the Version Cue Workspace Administration for more advanced tasks:
  • Initiating and managing online reviews of PDF documents.

• Duplicating, exporting, backing up, and restoring projects.

• Viewing information about projects in the Version Cue Workspace.

• Importing files to the Version Cue Workspace using FTP or WebDAV.

• Deleting file versions in batches and removing file locks.

• Creating a roster of project users and defining their project privileges.

• Restricting access to a specific project.
Hope this helps..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi biskit27,

If you work with Photoshop CS2, the Version Cue Option seems to be what you are looking for...

From PS CS2 Help Files:

Hope this helps..
CS2 hasnt ever really worked for me, idk why.

ill try installing that again, and see if itll work,
although it seems like it might not be what Im looking for, i meant something that two people could work together in real time on, perhaps a program that could make a screen 'shared' and then connect to someone, so that two people could work on one screen at the same time.

I remember that msn (i think) has a feature similar to that, where you can basically share your screen and whoever you shared with could basically take control of your mouse.

The feature described there seems to be more of a feature that allows easier sharing of files and such, and not a 'hands dirty' total realtime collaberation tool.

Anyways, thanx for the heads up, I'll see if thats it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 11:54 PM

ah, what you want is remote desktop access/management/sharing, where basically i can log into your computer from my computer and run your computer with my computer. and yes, windows does have this capability. at least, windows xp does. not sure if xp home does, but it shld.

i dont know what you need in windows to do this. i know it's possible, but i dont know if you can do it with just the native windows stuff or if you need another program. i have seen programs you can use to do it. the old 'tech tv; screensavers' show used to demonstrate programs like this.

again, i dont know what you'd need, but a google on 'remove access' or 'remove desktop' or 'remote desktop sharing' shld get you what you're after.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 AM

Hi,

.. Sorry I hadn't understood you meant real time collaboration...

Craig is right about the Remote Desktop!

Again I'm quoting .. but this time from Windows XP's help file...

Quote:
Remote Desktop overview

With Remote Desktop on Windows XP Professional, you can have access to a Windows session that is running on your computer when you are at another computer. This means, for example, that you can connect to your work computer from home and have access to all of your applications, files, and network resources as though you were in front of your computer at work. You can leave programs running at work and when you get home, you can see your desktop at work displayed on your home computer, with the same programs running.

When you connect to your computer at work, Remote Desktop automatically locks that computer so no one else can access your applications and files while you are gone. When you come back to your computer at work, you can unlock it by typing CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions on a single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their applications running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while others are logged on.

With Fast User Switching, you can easily switch from one user to another on the same computer. For example, suppose you are working at home and have logged on to the computer at your office to update an expense report. While you are working, a family member needs to use your home computer to check for an important email message. You can disconnect Remote Desktop, allow the other user to log on and check mail, and then reconnect to the computer at your office, where you see the expense report exactly as you left it. Fast User Switching works on standalone computers and computers that are members of workgroups.

Remote Desktop enables a variety of scenarios, including:
  • Working at home - Access work in progress on your office computer from home, including full access to all local and remote devices.

• Collaborating - Bring your desktop to a colleague's office to debug some code, update a Microsoft PowerPoint slide presentation, or proofread a document.

• Sharing a console - Allow multiple users to maintain separate program and configuration sessions on a single computer, such as at a teller station or a sales desk.
To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
  • A computer running Windows XP Professional ("remote" computer) with a connection to a Local Area Network or the Internet.

• A second computer ("home" computer) with access to the Local Area Network via network connection, modem, or Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection. This computer must have Remote Desktop Connection, formerly called the Terminal Services client, installed.

• Appropriate user accounts and permissions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 AM

great, I'll see if I can set that up, now another question is, anyone around that wants to try this out with me and see if we can get it to work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 AM

The new Mac OSX is suppose to have a collaborative feature where two people can supposedly work on a file at the same time with real time updates on both ends. Not sure where I read it or how credible it is but it sounds pretty cool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
The new Mac OSX is suppose to have a collaborative feature where two people can supposedly work on a file at the same time with real time updates on both ends. Not sure where I read it or how credible it is but it sounds pretty cool.
definately, thats exactly what Im talking about, if anyone one knows anything about that or wants to try find out how to work it message!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM

Seems like it is not available for xp home users. Is the right?? I looked under remote desktop and it says it is only avaliable on xp professional. Is this correct or is it available ?? Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Patron

Remote Assistance available in XP Home is similar, albeit more limited, to Remote Desktop. There are other alternatives out there... Netmeeting etc
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching