RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Changing background color

Old 06-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Changing background color

I'm trying to figure out how to isolate a background. And also how to change the color. For example, i'm trying to get the water turquoise...
I tried selecting it with the magic wand, but that doesn't really work... and plus I don't know how to change the color... so some help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 AM

You might try Select:Color Range. Click anywhere on the water and you can increase the tolerance to include more of the water (whiter). This may also select some sky but don't worry. Click OK and your pic will have areas selected with marching ants. Use Alt-Lasso to unselect areas of the photo u don't want to adjust. Use Image:Adjustments:Hue Saturation to change the color. Hope this helps.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 09:18 AM

You can also use Quick Mask to paint over the water. When you deselect Quick Mask, you get get the marching ants. From there you have several options. One of which is to create a mask with the selection and colorize the water at will without the possibility of affecting other parts of the picture.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 10:54 AM

Maybe it would've been a little smarter if I had mentioned upfront that i'm working PSP9. Anyway, i'll just add the pic i'm talking about...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of phyll2.jpg (38.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Hi there

Rather than all the selecting maybe you could just use color layers or as i did here gradient maps to apply color, then use a soft brush on the mask to paint the changes where you want them.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy-of-phyll2.jpg (99.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-17-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
Hi there

Rather than all the selecting maybe you could just use color layers or as i did here gradient maps to apply color, then use a soft brush on the mask to paint the changes where you want them.

Butch
Thanks i'll try that, but the thing is... it doesn't look as 'natural', and i'm going for that natural look.

Here's an example of the look i'm going for..

Example
http://i6.tinypic.com/14o0x9f.jpg

(I tried to attach it, but it was too large..)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Just group a hue/saturation adjustment layer to the gradient map. The colors are easy to adjust once applied

Sample from the second picture you posted to get close to your colors..it is easy to adjust the settings on the map and then group the hue/saturation or levels to the gradient map layer. Use at least three points of color on the gradient. A light, medium, and dark sample from the water for instance to use in your gradient.

It is the masking that is easy... no selections necessary. I apply the gradient then press <Ctrl><I> to invert and hide the gradient then with a white brush I paint it back in where needed.

If it is texture of the water you want to change... no problem use a mask to paint in water as needed.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14o0x9f.jpg (95.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-17-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Hi,

PhylisR,

... you won't be able to add colour to nearly white or nearly black areas of your picture... and by painting alone, you might get a rather flat/unnatural result.

My tip is to balance the exposure (shadows/highlights) first, and then go for your Hue/Saturation or whatever other colour adjustment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_14o0x9f.jpg (96.4 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching