RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Increasing image depth - Looking for ideas

Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Increasing image depth - Looking for ideas

I read Flora’s tutorial about removing photo paper texture from images and was very impressed. Flora, you get some amazing results! In the middle of the tutorial, she talks about increasing the depth of the image. I have had the same problem after removing excessive noise. I started to research on increasing image depth and found little help so decided to experiment.

BTY – I only do restoration as a hobby for family members and friends. I have ZERO experience in retouching so am on somewhat shaky ground. I “borrowed” four photos from recent post on RP to play with. Many thanks to the original posters. I have posted the results on my web server as mouse-overs (original on top – revised underneath). In the world of retouching, is this a step forward or a step backward? I seem discussion about removing “hot” spots and here I am trying to create them – Well at least “warm” spots. It may also be overdone. I would like your comments.

Also, are there any other techniques that improve the depth of an image?

http://oosterbaan.us/Photoshop/Depth_Examples/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 03:51 AM

Hi duwayne,

..thank you so much for your kindness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwayne
In the world of retouching, is this a step forward or a step backward? I seem discussion about removing “hot” spots and here I am trying to create them – Well at least “warm” spots. It may also be overdone. I would like your comments.
In my opinion, in the world of retouching (as opposed to restoring), it's a matter of personal taste...and even more so if you do this as a "hobby for family members and friends"!

In general, I like all retouches you did..

From left to right:

1° Picture: ...I would have kept the shadow around her mouth/lips lighter ... it seems to create a darkish halo around it ...

2° Picture: I would have desaturated the reds a bit and gone for a stronger 3D highlighting on the skin. (Attachment 1) ... (I used your retouched version and overdone mine a bit just to show the differences I have in mind)

3° Picture: a bit soft on the skin but fine!

4° Picture: a barely noticeable improvement...

This is only my taste, so, please, take my comments with a grain of salt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwayne
Also, are there any other techniques that improve the depth of an image?
... a few more that I know of :

create a blank/empty layer set to Soft Light or Overlay (Screen, Multiply etc.) and with a very soft white (or very lightly coloured) brush (adjust diameter), paint along the light parts you want to enhance.... Or with a very soft black brush (adjust diameter), paint along the dark parts you want to enhance.

Color Dodge/Burn (on a full duplicate layer)

Finally,to enhance the 'flat' light parts of the picture, you could use Filter>Distort>Diffuse Glow ... making sure you background colour is white (or very lightly coloured) ... and experimenting with the sliders...

Hope this helps..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_bef2b.jpg (100.0 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM

Flora - I love the effect you got on the image you posted above the way the skin has that sprayed bronze look is very effective a great retouch.

duwayne - I only see three now, but I agree with Flora especially on the second image the reds. Now I only see the a third and that is the girl with red necklace. The one thing that stands out to me is the added makeup (I assume it is) under the eye, it is either just not needed or needs to be more subtle and less clumped. But all in a all a great job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 AM

Not usually my sort of thing this I hope it helps.
Used pic 2 used one of Scott Kelby's methods for softening the skin tones, duped background twice. changed blend mode for layer1 to darken and gausian blur to 40 pixels, layer 2 changed blend to lighten and gausian blur to 60 pixels. Hid bottom layer, merged visible,Masked out the details I did not want to soften (around eyes etc.), unhid bottom layer, flattened. This smoothed skin tones. Removed the remainins blemishes with the healing brush. Applied Shadow/hIghlight adjustment. Then painted with history set to Screen/multiply to highlight or darken bits. especially the cheek bones. Did a final levels adjustment.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steph.jpg (99.9 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching