RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What kind of technique is this?

Old 07-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Guys, what are you so upset about? What do you expect?

When somebody tells you to use selective color to adjust some skin-tone and it doesn't work for you, don't blame the others!

The selective color-layer has four sliders ranging from -100% to +100% to adjust 9 different colors. This gives you a total of settings of (hold on your pants)700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possibilities! How is anyone supposed to guess the settings suitable for the picture you are working on?

It's like driving school, the instructor won't tell you how far you push the pedal through. You just have to find out. Practice makes perfect.

Dog, what's wrong with critism? That's what makes you grow better! A comment like "this sucks" is sure not very constructive while "I'd adjust the skin-colors, they look too dark" is certainly a good way to make you realize what's wrong with your work. Agree?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 AM

Patrick I was only talking in general. It may not affect this forum but it happens a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 05:53 AM

Maybe the most important question is, is selective color the best way to do it? In this porcelain-thing it probably is, but in general you can do the same thing in million ways in photoshop but inevitably some techniques are better than others. Some are even so called "cheap tricks" that you can do with minimum effort vs. doing it with dozens of layers.

All in all, I think we're all looking for the simpliest way to do things so asking different methods shouldn't be considered foul even if someone has provided info how to do it one way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk
All in all, I think we're all looking for the simpliest way to do things so asking different methods shouldn't be considered foul even if someone has provided info how to do it one way.
Theres a difference between wanting to learn all the different techniques to achieve the same goal and repeatedly asking the same question on the same forum, over and over again. Particualrly, ignoring when the question has already been answered by the person they were asking.

Yes there are many ways to 'skin a cat' in photoshop, but how many is too many? Why does anyone really need more than 1, if that technique works for them? I've personally seen on this forum at least 6 different techniques for achieving porcelin skin without looking desaturated. Given that the number of different techniques possible to achieve the same effect are finite but indeterminate (to the person asking, at least), if its ok to continually ask the same question, at what point do you draw the line? When is enough, enough? Do you think its ok for the same person to ask the same question every day/week/month? How many times? When does curiousity cross over into rudeness? (In other forums, asking the same question twice would be considered rude, and possibly be removed by a moderator)
When will the questioner be satiated?

I have no real objection to the desire to learn new techniques, I may object to seeing the same question posed by the same person multiple time but the real issue here is the assumption that its all a big conspiracy. That retouchers arent willing to share their techniques.... even though theres not a single thread here where someone's technique has been questioned, that one of the forum members hasnt 'demystified' and explained. We can impart every ounce of knowledge we have, but that wont make the untalented, talented nor will it make up for years of practice and refining of technique.
Retouchers with a signature style dont crop up overnight. Their style is there own and they have spent a lot of time honing their talents and refining that style. To expect to create an exact replica, relying only on 'technique' is unrealistic. There is no magic formula, every picture is different, you cant just plug in some numbers and make every picture perfectly match a particular style - there is much more to making an image that than.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 07:22 AM

Nancy , why don't you let Singlo answer for himself for one and for two if you do not like people asking several times something then do not answer the thread... Some may be sick of you answering everytime also.
It goes both ways you know.
In any case no body said it was a secret formula...
Have a look at my site, I do all my retouching and the Photography.
I am a photographer first and a Retoucher second.
No body is saying or has said it is a secret One button trick they are doing.
I should know how much time it takes to retouch. Especially since my forte is BEAUTY. Even starting With a great canvas (good models(?) and make-up artist helps alot). I believe that it takes the whole team coming together to produce amazing shot's. Not some retoucher's work.
But I must say the photography "Before" shot's on that site are AWFUL. And that 80% of the shot IS retouching. It varies.
There is nothing wrong with trying to learn "More" is there?
Basically what your saying is that you and Patric know how to do it(which I have my doubts) So it does not matter.
Well that is what forums are for...Hello
After all I learned ALL my techniques from forums and asking AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN, as I am a Visual learner, not textual!
So please do us all a favor and say something Positive or do not say anything at ALL.
Thanks, I hope you understand
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM

i think the problem is snooks approach. i'm no psych grad, but how he talks, he's like, "you know some secret? then tell me! i want to know!" of course those are not his words, but you get what i mean.

Snook,
i'm not against you, i also reap the benefits of this site, i just don't like reading so much arguements.

Nancy,
i think you are too harsh with snook. i think it's just proper to pm him instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305
Nancy , why don't you let Singlo answer for himself
He already has, BEFORE you asked. 2 Posts above your question, Singlo answers the exact same question.

Quote:
In any case no body said it was a secret formula...
...you did
Quote:
Why is it that all the big retouchers are so secretive.....
seems like nothing get;s leaked out??
Completely ignoring all the information that is being given to you.

Quote:
Basically what your saying is that you and Patric know how to do it(which I have my doubts) So it does not matter.
Thats not what we've said at all, we have both shared techniques and given advice, something again you seem to ignore.
You say you doubt our knowledge - but our knowledge is proven - we have shared it, often with picture examples - for the 'visually minded'

Quote:
So please do us all a favor and say something Positive or do not say anything at ALL.
The same can be said to you also. Your attitude is impatient, demanding and rude, and you will be responded to in kind. You're so desperate to learn this big secret that doesnt exist, you're completely blind to all the great advice you are being given.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Snook,

I've been working in the internet-business for some years and have collected some experience in forums, newsgroups and stuff around all this IT-things. Believe me, this forums are a "put a ton of sugar on top"-people. If somebody on those groups asks a question like "hey how do I get dior-skin", he get's an answer like "Ro's tutorial, RTFM!!!" In case you don't know: Read the fu.... manual

I'm one hell of a friendly person and get bashed for being too harsh, so much for this

People like Nancy, Flora, Ro etc. are well respected members who are ALWAYS willing to help and assist other people. It's probably the attitude of some people which makes them become a bit disappointed, in friendly words. They spend hours to sit on pictures someone posts here to help them and give them some good advice and suddenly someone pops up and says "All those things don't work, give me some advice I can actually use!"

Oh and only because Nancy doesn't say something you don't like to hear there is no need trying to attack her, nor to disrespect her opinion or disgrace her knowledge. btw, where is your mentioned website, I'd love to have a look at it and see your skills
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Exclamation Please, let's slow down a bit!

Hi everybody!

Just a quick reminder: politeness goes a long way ...

snook305,

I'm sure you didn't want to hurt anyone ... but ...
Quote:
Why is it that all the big retouchers are so secretive.....
seems like nothing get;s leaked out??/ Hope that changes with these new threads,,
...could be understood as 'brushing off' all the help received so far as coming from 'lesser' retouchers .... and that can really hurt, be considered insensitive or even offensive ...

From what I see, that's where Nancy's objections started .... and she's absolutely right here: no secrets whatsoever ... This Tread alone is full of different tips and advice on how to get to the desired/required result .... in addition, here is what I got from a RP search for smooth skin ... you might find the following Threads of my search very interesting:

Given Photoshop's (and other image manipulation software) 'flexibility', it's not wrong to ask for different ways to reach a goal... so, here are some of our Tutorials on different ways to retouch skin .... The final aim of a couple of the Tutorials listed below might be different from what you are looking for, but in them all you'll find different techniques for skin smoothing, retouching, highlighting etc. ...

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits
The quick de-grunge trick
So So to So Sexy
Wet Skin
How to create Metal-Like Skin

Questions on how to imitate special techniques used by incredibly talented people found on the Internet are a regular feature at RP and other image manipulation Forums ... Personally, I'm not even sure it is right trying to imitate any of them ... but this is only my opinion... and I couldn't agree more with Nancy:
Quote:
Amy Dresser's work is amazing, no question about that but theres nothing special or secretive about her techniques, her work is amazing because she's very talented, not because she has discovered some magical technique that she must guard with her life.
...and again:
Quote:
....years of practice and refining of technique.
Retouchers with a signature style dont crop up overnight. Their style is there own and they have spent a lot of time honing their talents and refining that style.
.... Meaning ... if it were only a matter of technique ... sooner or later we would all become 'whatever' with a signature style .... or?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Good post flora! Right to the point.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching