RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What kind of technique is this?

Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 AM

Nancy,

I appreciate the time you took to find and make this post. Information like this is what I seek. It provides me some guidance on some of the basic tools and approaches that I need to learn and practice. I always sent my son to the best guitar teacher in the area to learn those "little things" that would take him to a new level...then he would practice ...practice...practice...

thanks again..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 10:45 AM

Thank you Nancy for once and always crushing the myth on mysterious techniques and magic retouchers. I agree with you, Amy and Flora that every image requires a unique approach. There are definitely no shortcuts to getting good results. I remember an ad from Klinko & Indrani where they explicitly were looking for a person willing to spend weeks on a single image. That alone ought to tell how much work is invested in a single project. It's all a matter of creativity and patience - as well as an intimate knowledge of Photoshop. Mastering the tools completely are the basics of any craft, really.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Singlo.. how did you get that picture on the previuos page so white with out being too B&W looking.. Very nice can you explain..
Hi Snook Sorry sorry for the late reply. i have not checked out this forum for a while..i thought nobody is interested in this thread. With regard to your questions. I thought I answered it already but maybe I didn't explain it in details. So here is my workflow specially for you ( i am sure there are half dozen variations to get the same effects):

1. Duplicate the original and desaturate the copy partially using Hue/saturation adjustment layer.

2. Create a layer mask "reveal all" and brush back some skin colour "locally" using a low opacity black brush. Merged down.

3. Creat a curve adjustment layers. Sample skin tone control point for the curves. Fiddle with the RGB curves to make the skin pale.

4. Fine tune highlights and shadows: Dodge and burn with a grey softlight layer.

5. Subtle highlighting: Creat a new layer. Sample a fairly "white" colour using color picker. Airbush the white highlights using a very low opacity brush set to color mode. You build up the highlights slowly and carefully by brushing several passes as if you were airbushing. This gives the illusion of a porcelain shine. As I said before, the hardest part is to know where to put the highlights and that's creativity from Amy's mind.

Snook I love your photos and followed your threads in Dpreview. Your works are awesome!

Please don't be so harsh to Snook. He meant no harm or tried to cause offense to the retouchers here.

Last edited by singlo; 07-30-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
To prove thats its no conspiracy, no secret tricks that cant be shared, just hard graft and a hell of a lot of talent... here is a tutorial by Amy Dresser herself, included is a PSD of one of her images.
Great!!! I have only seen this now. Thank very much for sharing!!!!!!!!!! I can see the differences and similarities between her and my workflow.

Quote:
5--this may possibly be my only "trick." This has to be done as a
final step or it will magnify any so-called-flaws that are white in
nature. Make a new empty layer on top of everything. with pure
white selected as the foreground color in the tool bar go to Select >
Color Range. The whites of the image should already be selected by
default. Move the fuzziness slider so the slightest dusting of
selection will be made (click selection radio vs. image radio), hit
OK. Fill this selection with white. Mask or erase out what is too
much. sometimes i blur this layer a bit.
This is interesting. I try to get my head round on what does she mean by white highlight flaws...patchy or blobby white highlights??? Really what she does here is to fill selectively the solid white highlights with fuzzy soft edges on the top of the final.

Last edited by singlo; 07-30-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 AM

Thanks all that is what I was talking about.. Seems I am not the only one that is Thankful...
I still think Patrick needs to take a Chill Pill and give 2 more to Nancy.. But I do appreciate the explaination..
Thanks guys(and Gals)
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 07:15 AM

Is the Carve Layer in the Highlight layer a Dodge and Burn Layer?
50% grey layer set to Overlay.. That lost me a little bit?
Looks to be....
Thanks for any information..
Snook
That is really cool.. I like the PSD.. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Is the Carve Layer in the Highlight layer a Dodge and Burn Layer?
The Dodge and burn layer is on top of the two curve layers. The two curves layer masks are to "pop" and "tune down" local areas selectively.

Quote:
50% grey layer set to Overlay.. That lost me a little bit?
That's straightforward PWL or dodge and burn..I am sure you used it a lot already in your car junk yard photos.You can download Kent Johnston's or whoever PWL action from somewhere called plug-in action central i can't remmeber URL. This method not only change the luminosity of the pixels but also causes small colour shift if you aggressively burn the shadows...yucky muddy colour sometimes you get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 AM

Singlo.. Yes I use PWL a lot or D&Bing a lot.. Just in the PSD that was given .. there is a layer (In the Highlight Folder)that is called Carve layer..
That is a D&B layer right.. Just never seen so much detail in a grey layer.. If you option click on the layer you'll see what I mean.. A lot of detail in the Brushing.. Or is it something else..?
Thanks Singlo,
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
That is a D&B layer right.. Just never seen so much detail in a grey layer.. If you option click on the layer you'll see what I mean.. A lot of detail in the Brushing.. Or is it something else..?
The "carve" layer shows her B&D brush strokes with graphic tablet using fine to broad brush sizes...the details show a lot of B&D on eyes as well.

"Painted white " layer shows hand highlighting/airbushing with pure white.

"Sampled white" layer is her colour range trick with fuzzy edges and then she masked out those unwanted whites. The fuzziness slider adjusts the cut-off threshold and coverage areas of the selection. This final layer reinforces the spectacular highlights.

It is time for me to study human anatomy and revise my figure drawing skills.

Last edited by singlo; 08-08-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 04:28 AM

Re: What kind of technique is this?

Hi All - I worked in Hair and Make-up for 15 years before jumping head first into this world of retouching .

Alot of these looks start with great editorial makeup - they may spend an hour getting the base correct or using an AirBrush to apply foundation This changes the whole look of the skin and looks like porceline straight away .I will sift through some shots ive got and post to give you some ideas of manually applied foundations and airbrushed .

Stray hairs is just sloppy work alot of the time and that all comes down to the hairdresser on the shoot - sometimes you might see hair that has a sheen to it but not alot of detail - maybe its best to keep it that way as its a look they may be going for with the direction of the shoot .

last but not least -Lighting plays a major game in all this as a finished product.

Hope this is of some help
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching