RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What kind of technique is this?

Old 06-30-2006, 06:42 PM

What kind of technique is this?

Hi

I often see this kind of technique used in commercial and fine art photography. It is specially visible with skintones. Looks to me like it could be some kind of massive airbrushing, but I don't know, it could be a global PS effect..
Notice how colors look half way between paintings and photographs.

Here are a couple of examples (if you see a pattern in all these images, you probably see what I mean, if they all look different to you, just forget about it)

one here and 3 more in attachment

thanks for any ideas you might have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (97.6 KB, 2589 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (98.0 KB, 2733 views)
File Type: jpg cesare.jpg (90.1 KB, 2558 views)

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 06-30-2006 at 07:14 PM. Reason: read the FAQ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Here is a more extreme example (extreme as in, the effect is a bit more pronaunced)

http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/img/..._posterart.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 PM

My first thought would be to take a step back in the whole process before it even gets to PS: make up. All of those look like a similar type of make up.

I may be talking out my proverbial bottom here but a lot of pros that I have heard/read when asked about certain PS techniques mention that it is more effective to do as much as possible towards the "look" of a photo before even pressing the shutter button. I am sure there is some PS done on these but I think the look is achieved mostly through make up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 05:20 AM

It's a lot of painting, drawing, sharpening, color-adjusting
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley guy
My first thought would be to take a step back in the whole process before it even gets to PS: make up. All of those look like a similar type of make up.

I may be talking out my proverbial bottom here but a lot of pros that I have heard/read when asked about certain PS techniques mention that it is more effective to do as much as possible towards the "look" of a photo before even pressing the shutter button. I am sure there is some PS done on these but I think the look is achieved mostly through make up.

Yea, you are probably right about the make up, but if you take a look at the clothes, and surroundings (like in the second attachment) you can see the same "treatment" done to that too, not just the skin.

I've been digging some more and it seems this is some sort of painting after all. Here is one retoucher/illustrator doing that kind of stuff:

http://www.amydresser.com/retouch.html

Sometimes the whole photographs are repainted to make illustrations out of them, like in this case:
http://www.amydresser.com/img/startrek_comp.jpg

Now I'd like to learn more about this. For example, surely they use photoshop, but what tools?

I already know how to make those fashion skintones, by using dodge/burn tool to "repaint" highlights and shadows. But I wouldn't know what to use for drastic repainting like in the previous example.
Is it airbrushing?
Also was this kind of thing done before photoshop? Did people do this kind of thing with chemical retouching techniques? (any examples?)

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektacrow
I've been digging some more and it seems this is some sort of painting after all. Here is one retoucher/illustrator doing that kind of stuff:

Here's my attempt with one of Amy's before pics

/megl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amy_dresser_try.jpg (86.2 KB, 1662 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the amydresser link. That gave a lot of inspiration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Patron

Well of course yer dodge, burn and sponge I know I used alot in the darkroom before I got hooked on PS. The first thing that sprung to mind when I saw your posted images was colourization... the traditional, hand tinted way which is not that highly saturated and tones are clean and simple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektacrow
Yea, you are probably right about the make up, but if you take a look at the clothes, and surroundings (like in the second attachment) you can see the same "treatment" done to that too, not just the skin.

Sometimes the whole photographs are repainted to make illustrations out of them, like in this case:
http://www.amydresser.com/img/startrek_comp.jpg

Now I'd like to learn more about this. For example, surely they use photoshop, but what tools?

I already know how to make those fashion skintones, by using dodge/burn tool to "repaint" highlights and shadows. But I wouldn't know what to use for drastic repainting like in the previous example.
Is it airbrushing?
Also was this kind of thing done before photoshop? Did people do this kind of thing with chemical retouching techniques? (any examples?)

thanks
Hey this is very interesting, have you found any more of this?

where can I find the dodge/burn technique?

cheerrs
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Amy Dresser's stuff is a real eye opener for me. I bookmarked her site for sure. Her retouching skills are far superior than the lighting skills of some photographers who took the photos....she transforms only not the skin, facial features but radically change the lighting as well. She really understands very well the physics of light---how highlights and shadows behave and manipulate it in such way they look very convincing.

Here is my attempt (2nd photo) to retouch one of her before photo, reproducing her techniques (3rd photo); my first nose, chin and lip jobs ever done in my life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg janelle_before.jpg (59.5 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg my-attempt.jpg (56.4 KB, 970 views)
File Type: jpg janelle_after.jpg (21.4 KB, 1115 views)

Last edited by singlo; 07-14-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching