RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need Help With Dark Image

Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Used Karen Eismann's Fill Flash action on this action photo.
Cinderella
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fill-FlashDark1.jpg (97.1 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Hey Cardmnal...... take a look at this...... the only thing I did was:

1. Ctrl + J to duplicate the layer

2. Set that layer to Screen with opacity of maybe 20% (play around with this but don't make it too light

3. Then I flattened it

4. Then I ran an action based on Katrin Eismann's Fill Flash written by Dave Jaseck by permission from Katrin and posted here as a free download:

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

I didn't change to Lab nor did I do any sharpening..... maybe this could work for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fill-Flash.jpg (89.8 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Oops..... sorry Cinderella........ I saw your post after I had already hit the "post" button....... my mistake......
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 AM

Nice photo...

I ave it a try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rafting.jpg (99.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2006, 02:17 PM

cardmnal,

ok, gotcha.

this is still a matter of light, for the most part. the trick, after looking at this closer, is that brightening does tend to wash out some of the highs. histogram adjustment works, but tends to mess up the colors a bit. so, what i did was add a contrast/brightness adjustment layer to the levels that looked right on the people (not the water). then, i set this to half. that ended me up with 40 bright and 20 contrast. remember, adding contrast tends to raise saturation, particularly in the reds.

leaving the adjustment layer up at those settings, i then clicked on the image layer and did a historgram adjustment to even things out across the boards a bit. this kept the white water from being too bright but brought up the midtones on the faces, effectively restoring the colors there.

then, just to add a bit more definition, i duped the image layer and ran a clarify at a medium setting.

after all that i went back and adjusted the brightness/contrast layer back down to almost half of what it was, now making it 24/12, i think.

basically, the original histogram was showing a very unbalanced picture, with a LOT of stuff in the lows and another bulge, though not as severe, in the mid-range. the trick is to even all this out without losing color or clarity. curves alone wont do it, nor will levels or, as i originally thought, brightness/contrast. so, i stand corrected

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dark-2-k-1.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Hey Craig...... that's awesome ....... and a great way to do it ....... I realize that on mine, in order to brighten their faces, I managed to make them look like they were rafting down white cotton candy .......

You managed to avoid that and you could see the people's faces with some healthy color..... which I would imagine they'd have being outside and on the water.

Great job!

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2006, 02:43 PM

thanks beth

i'm afraid that sometimes i 'engage mouth and insert foot', so i had to take another look when cardmnal wasnt pleased

i'm also finding that 'histogram adjustment' is a very powerful, useful and under-used tool.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM

I agree, good way to get the job done.

Not that I wasn't pleased, I just felt that maybe the situation wasn't fully understood and that maybe I should explain why this seemingly easy task was becoming frustrating.

As always, I appreciate everyone's input and find a tremendous amount of value in these threads , Thanks again.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM

Hi,

Craig has already done a great job on this one, but I had already worked on it... and since it's a very quick PS fix, I'll post it anyway..

Selected the people on the raft (not very precisely because I was going to blur the mask anyway).

Created a Levels Adjustment Layer set to Screen to lift the shadows and adjust/increase the colours in my selection.

Inverted the selection and used Selective Colors to add a bit of colour to the water as well..

My workflow in Attachment 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_dark2.jpg (99.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-063.jpg (95.4 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM

Flora,

Beautiful job....... I'd also want to add "as usual" but it seems to take the special-ness out of your work which is beautiful!

oxoox
Beth
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching