RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Eye/MakeUP retouching help

Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 AM

Those makeups seems like were done on the model, and the makeup artist used different kind of techniques like airbrush makeup, if you want to achieve the metal look must use a metallic shade directly on the model, try using the really good ones. When you are using PS for a makeup photography it's 'cause the skin needs to be clean and balance the color a bit or intensify some areas, but just that, if the makeup is really good you don't need to do a major retouch on PS.

Silvia.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 AM

Hello Silvia,

I don´t agree. If you only intensify some areas you get the wrong color. I think if the makeup is done on the model, you can only do 2 different makeup set`s per day. Because makeup 2 hours, shoot 1 hour. And a niggle model.

So i know, it is a combination of both options ! Photoshop and MakeUp on the model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBux123
Hello Silvia,

I don´t agree. If you only intensify some areas you get the wrong color. I think if the makeup is done on the model, you can only do 2 different makeup set`s per day. Because makeup 2 hours, shoot 1 hour. And a niggle model.

So i know, it is a combination of both options ! Photoshop and MakeUp on the model.
Thats not true at all. Unless you work very short days or you have only 1 model and you do the makeup yourself.

Firstly, most makeup doesnt take 2 hours unless its very intricate, the second picture you posted could be done in under 20 minutes by an experienced makeup artist - obviously the first one would take longer than that but not 2 hours.
If you were maximising efficiency you would have 3 models on rotate, 1 in makeup, 1 shooting and 1 in cleanup/resting. You could get 10-14+ in a single day (the entertainment industry is notorious for long working hours, it would not be suprising for a shoot to go on for 18 hours or more)

Aside from anything else, very elaborate makeup in facial shots is generally only used in makeup campaigns or makeup artist portfolio shots - so there would be no point doing it in photoshop.
Photoshop is used - for cleanup - to make it perfect, but its not used to do the whole thing.
While you could do it - it would be far more efficient and effective to put the makeup on the model in the first place.

There are so many posts on this forum asking how to acheive x,y,z while completely ignoring the obvious - photoshop is no substitute for photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Hello,

You have right, the most but I´m not interested at the "most".

I can`t agree.My opinion. You can`t concentrate at 3 models 100 percent. And as a photographer you can`t work 10 or more hours. You can but not with 100 percent power. And the models need one or more hours to bring in.

And 20 minutes makeup, you forgot the hairs! Curls or normal ?....

I know photoshop is an additional thing and very good makeup is necessary you can make a good photo look like perfect. But you can`t make a worse photo look like amazing.

But this discussion have nothing to do with my "Question" at the top !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM

I agree with the others, it would take too much time to create a realistic looking photoshop makeup than to make the actual makeup.

But if you really want to try to make the makeup with PS, you could

Try to use the replace color and lots of layer masks

Or

Copy some the makeup from the first picture then blend it in your pictures with lots (again a lot of work) of layer (with different blend modes) and dodging & burning

I haven't tested these so they're food for thought, ultimately you have to be the one to experiment and do the hard work
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching