RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Crocodile skin...

Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 AM

thanks, the rookie

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 AM

Hi therookie.

It is not very often I get to play with displacement maps, so I had to have a go.

I used HandMadeGod’s Texture and a map made from the image.
I set the blending mode of the finished texture to hard light and then did some colouring.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_SnakeSkin.jpg (97.1 KB, 182 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Untried it..but technically it should work...

hey guys.

For the examples you supplied from that site I see that the texture does not wrap around the photos very well.

textures should react to the "bumps" that are made by the muscles and or expressions (like a 3d landscape)

If want I'm saying makes sense, you could try to creating that "3d" landscape of the face with the mesh tool on the liquify dialog.

it's like sculpting over the photo making the highlight pop out and the shadows deeper masking the areas like lips or any corners that would distort the face too much, then you can save that mesh. (dont apply the liquify tool) then you can select the layer with the texture, open liquify and load and apply the mesh you just saved.

play a little bit with the layer transparency.

I haven't really apply this to people skin but on other kind of surfaces work pretty neat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 AM

Hi,

I remember trying something similar last year ....

attachment1 and attachment2 in this Thread...

pindaro,

welcome to RP!!

.... and thanks for the tips!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM

not a crocodile skin, but an animal.

its very easy.

you desturate the part and add a new layer with skin and switch the layermode to overlay...and u can use the distort filter.
to do this:
desturate your image, apply a little gaussian and save it as psd. the apply the distort filter...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zebra.jpg (97.7 KB, 177 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM

alright, i had another go at this, only this time using displacement mapping. i'd never used displacement maps before and wasnt even sure psp 10 had this, but it does. however, like almost anything psp vs photoshop, the tutorials will not quite match up. psp's own help files were notably lacking, so i had to find a ps tut and translate. it was pretty close, thankfully.

also, the tutorials for this on RP are lacking as well, regardless of ps or psp. yeah, i know, so i shld write one up....bah!

actually, it's pretty simple.

your 'source' image is the one you want to apply the skin to. the 'target' image is the one you are applying, in this case, the skin.

first, open your 'source' image AND your target image. have them both open in psp 10. dont combine them, just have them both open.

what most everyone forgot to mention is that you have to first desaturate your source image. save a copy that isnt desaturated too. you'll need it later. you dont need to use just one or two channels here. just desaturate the full image. you simply want a black and white in rgb 8 bit color.

now take your TARGET image and open the 'effects\distortions\displacement map' filter in psp 10. this will open up a new window showing the displacement tool. on the left will be a thumbnail of your image in black and white. click on that box and find the 'source' desaturated image in those thumbnails you now see. pick that image from the thumbs.

within this same displacement filter window, set to either 'stretch map to fit image' or 'tile map to cover image', whichever does NOT alter the shape of your source black and white. set to '3d surface', and 'wrap' and 'blur' to 1 (or to taste). set 'intensity' to about 10 (or again, to taste). set 'rotation' to 180 (or, to taste). then hit 'ok'.

what all that does is to take your target image and apply the source image to it and warp the target image to the contours of the black and white image as if the black and white is a height map of sorts. a height map is simply a black and white where the blacker it is the 'lower' the pixel is considered to be, or the further away it is considered to be. the lighter the pixel, the closer it is. but, there is a bit of a difference; a height map is for elevation where the displacement map is altering sideways or up and down with a bit of a displacement or warping. so, based on the black and white, you are altering the skin or target TO the displacement as dictated by the black and white source. (you really dont have to know any of this. just use the tool and it will do the thinking for you ).

ok. now you shld have an image that is a mix of the black and white and the target skin with the skin now being warped a bit or 'wrapped' to the black and white bumps/elevation/contours.

now, take your ORIGINAL color source image and add this as a new layer or your now mixed target and source. we can call the target and source layer as the 'effect' layer or 'mixed' layer. just put the original color layer over the mixed layer as a new layer.

now, here again you have some options. for mine as attached here, i simply used a blend mode of hard light on the original color layer that is now sitting over the mixed layer. you could also do other blends for other effects or even duplicate this layer and do some other blends. that's up to you. i simply used hard light.

you shld now have an image that is a nice mix of your mixed layer and your original. for just keeping this simple, i now duplicated the mixed layer and turned the original mixed layer off. on the duplicated mixed layer i now simply erased those parts that i didnt want the effect showing on, the lips, the eyes, the hair, the clothing and so on.

and that's it unless you used different sized images for the source and target. if you did do that, then now you simply copy merge to a new layer, use the selection tool on the copy merged layer to select out only that part you want and copy and paste that to a new image.

et voila', thou art done!

for the photoshop folks, here is a link to the tutorial i used to translate into psp. http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...ace/index.html i actually looked at several different tutorials and this one seemed the best and simplest to understand. just scroll down that page to where it says 'Star Spangled Girl' as a link and click on it and a popup will come up with the tutorial.

so, have fun and thanks for the introduction to displacement maps!

craig

edit: in the stage where you desaturate, it's also a good idea to add some contrast to the resulting black and white.

edit: even though i DID the work right, i wrote this up wrong. i've now corrected this. in the original text i had the source and target mixed up in the early stages. (edited july 16, 2006)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displacement-skin-1-k-1.jpg (93.8 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 07-16-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 PM

the example

hello again.

this is more or less what i was talking about earlier.

i did not spend to much time on the actual skin opacity and blend style, since i just wanted to show the animal skin reacting to the model (that is covered very well by the others post)

i did the same procedure that i explained on my previous post.

once i "contoured" the skin texture i just desaturate it and blend it in overlay mode over her own. (that's why it may look a little bit like scars)

please note the selection of and size of the texture is the most important part.

sorry for the noisy picture, it was the only one that i had on hand

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.jpg (99.9 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2006, 11:25 PM

wow, didnt see all the responses, this is great! I am trying to do the displacement map filter from this tut (star-spangled girl):
http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...ace/index.html

but i get this look to my image after trying to apply the disp map filter:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9...acesizeuz7.jpg

What is all the text about?

Anyway, great tut and effect Kraellin! I also really like the zebra manip of the girl and the thread you posted to Flora...

Last edited by therookie; 07-15-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 AM

therookie,

ummm, not sure where you got the text but you've missed a step or done a step incorrectly somewhere. remember, you are going to use the flag as the target and warp/displace it with the girl. so, the flag is the one you want active and highlighted when you open the displacement map filter and the girl is the one that you open IN the displacement map filter. it's a little confusing in that tut with the image names he uses and you have to make sure you have the right images in the right order and locations. he might have done that tut with easier names like 'flag' and 'girl' rather than those long names where he reversed the words in the names. i had to go back several times and double check the image names to keep the procedure straight.

also, i've just edited my tut here in this thread cause i had one step backwards also. doing the work is easier than writing up the work

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 09:12 AM

here's one that's a little more dramatic. this used one of psp's own displacement maps.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displacement-girl-1-k-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching