RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Having difficulty changing the color of pupils...

Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 AM

Having difficulty changing the color of pupils...

What's going on people? I read the tutorial on hoe to change eye color, but I'm having difficulty getting it to work to my satisfaction. The pic I want to practice the technique on is attached to this thread. It's Halle Berry. Can someone guide me in how to to this properly step-by-step? I didn't like how the tutorial was set up. Thanks in advance....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hallenhat.jpg (24.3 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 AM

1.copy background layer
2. on a new layer dodge the iris somewhat.
3. adjustment hue/saturation layer (colorized checked) choose your colour.
4. apply mask to the adjustment layer
5. fill with black(mask that is)
6. paint with white on the mask (iris part)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye1.jpg (14.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg eye2.jpg (14.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg eye3.jpg (14.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Cyber Cat; 07-12-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Easy, Roah... Sorry you're having difficulty following a tutorial, but there's no need to disparage the tute and the time and trouble someone took to put it up in the forum.

Simplest way to change the eye color.

1 make a selection of the eye area (the iris)
2. Copy the selection to a new layer.
3. reselect it and do a hue saturation adustment layer sliding the hue slider to the color you desire.

You may need to clip the adjustment layer to the iris layer (in Photoshop, Alt click on the separation line between the adj layer and the iris layer.)This sets the adjustment to only affect the layer immediately below.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Easy, Roah... Sorry you're having difficulty following a tutorial, but there's no need to disparage the tute and the time and trouble someone took to put it up in the forum.

Simplest way to change the eye color.

1 make a selection of the eye area (the iris)
2. Copy the selection to a new layer.
3. reselect it and do a hue saturation adustment layer sliding the hue slider to the color you desire.

You may need to clip the adjustment layer to the iris layer (in Photoshop, Alt click on the separation line between the adj layer and the iris layer.)This sets the adjustment to only affect the layer immediately below.
I wasn't trying to disrespect at all. It just didn't work for me, but the other tutorials so far have been great. How do I make a selection? What tool do I use? I still getting used to CS2.

Thanks to both of you for the help so far....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Use the marquee tool or the lasso to draw a selection. or you might also get lucky with the magic wand. Short of that, enter quick mask mode and paint the area with a black brush.

There are so many ways to make a selection (I didn't even mention the pen tool). so to ask "how do I make a selection" tells me you haven't even cracked the manual or looked up the online help that comes with CS2.

I've given you enough key words to search the online help or manual index to discover ways to make a selection that you should be busy for a week. :-)

Selections are BASIC stuff and you need to get a grip on various methods.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Use the marquee tool or the lasso to draw a selection. or you might also get lucky with the magic wand. Short of that, enter quick mask mode and paint the area with a black brush.

There are so many ways to make a selection (I didn't even mention the pen tool). so to ask "how do I make a selection" tells me you haven't even cracked the manual or looked up the online help that comes with CS2.

I've given you enough key words to search the online help or manual index to discover ways to make a selection that you should be busy for a week. :-)

Selections are BASIC stuff and you need to get a grip on various methods.
I had figured it out yesterday playing with the program before I went to work. Thanks for both of your help. I got the hang of it. Is it just me or does it seem like you don't get a lot of color choices doing this technique? Once again, you guys have been a big help. Do you do photo-art or do you just like to retouch photos?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 AM

Roah,

(I'm going on memory on some of this, I didn't re-read 'today' all of the above posts, so I hope that I am not repeating what has been said)

I think that if you use Saturation Layer in Layer Adjustments, it'd probably benefit you by scrolling through the Blending Mode afterwards. If you highlight the "NORMAL" in Blending Mode you can then use a mouse wheel and scroll through all of the different types really quick. (I don't know what version of PS you have though) You may already know that, but it's just another way to get brighter and different effects too, and of course, don't forget to slide the Opacity to different settings too.
You can also paint on a separate Layer colors of your choice and do the same thing, and combine colors on different Layers to, and testing the Blending Modes again. I sometimes use many Layers to get the effects I may be looking for, and 'most times' I find something unusual that I like. You may find it useful also if you scroll through the Styles at the top of Layer Styles, and experimenting with them.
You asked about "photo art", I do that all of the time, and use all of the above all of the time too.
I wouldn't consider this "art", but it was a long time ago, and I did it for fun, but I did use 'all of the above' in this.
http://4dw.net/crisp/ra/mouse.htm
Just for the record, I'm not too proud of this nowadays, I see more than a few mistakes.

I hope this stuff helps some...

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roah
Is it just me or does it seem like you don't get a lot of color choices doing this technique?
Roah, Once you have a "basic" color change selected from the hue slider, continue playing with the other two sliders (saturation and lightness) to get variations of the basic color.

Then, as Randy, blending modes can also affecte the final color.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching