RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hi everyone - help please

Old 07-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Here's what I've done so far (being a novice myself) and it has helped my understanding of photoshop...

1) Look into online courses through a community college. I went through Cerro Coso Community College in California (there were people in the class from all over the world) and took a beginner's class in Digital Imaging (MA C102). It was a great class that taught you the basics of Photoshop and along the way provided you with great feedback on how you were doing. Later I took an intemediate level course through Foothill Community College (also online). There are tons of community colleges out there with many different photoshop courses online.

2) I'm an avid reader so I buy books related to photoshop. Some of the books out there are fantastic and provide you with cd's that allow you to try out what you see in the books on the actual pictures used. Some that I have learned alot from:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book+CD (Good for Beginners)
Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann (3rd Edition) - (Fantastic for learning how to restore and retouch photos, no CD but you can download everything from the book's website)
I've got a human in my throat by Worth1000.com (Shows you some of the fun things you can do with Photoshop, comes with CD)

3) Check out various websites that offer tutorials. As mentioned before Pixel2Life.com and GoodTutorials.com are some of the best. RetouchPro.com is the best one I have come across for repairing photos and is one I check almost daily.

4) Take advantage of this website. Even if you are just learning you can post your work and ask for a critique. Feedback is so important because as we stare at an image for hours we sometimes lose perspective on how we are really doing (trust me on this - personal experience). What's awesome too is that there are a lot of highly talented and professional individuals here that know what they are doing and the advice they give is priceless.

Kerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Patron

G'day Smurf,
One thing to consider, whilst not directly related to your thread topic, is nonetheless an important consideration all the same, and this is your working space/ computer hardware and software setup... for example- on a 'bad MS day' a trackball mouse or a graphics tablet may be less fatiguing to use than ye olde mouse. So looking into such alternatives and learning how to work with them may be helpful to you and your work in the long term. I have no major physical limitations myself (just laziness...geek style) but I have a programmable Belkin N52 gamepad which rests on my lap, that I have customised to execute often used complex actions, multi keystroke keyboard shortcuts, and other multi step commands/ macros with just a single gamepad keystroke for each. So what I guess I am putting to you is to not only learn the ropes but to also learn how to make the ropes work best for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 02:49 AM

Where do I start ?

Firstly I must thank you ALL for your wonderfull support.

Firstly - I am in the U.K and I guess most, if not all, of you are U.S residents.

My computer is a Pentium 3.2 with 1.5 gig Ram - 128mb graphics card and a 19 inch flat screen. Have good quality printer and scanner which give me great results.
One thing I have no tried - but am certainly going to make my No1 priority - is a graphics tablet. This I am certain will help as I do have some problems at times using the mouse.
I have both Photshop and Paint Shop - finding it much easier to use Paintshop at present. Although I sometimes find Photoshop will do things Paintshop struggles with.

I consider myself as a complete novice at all this and usually find that it is 'try, try, try again' using different methods until I get there - sometimes it seems to take ages.

Hope this gives you some idea of where I am at

Once again
Many thanks to you all

Smurf
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Beth I am really enjoying the book. I am also glad that I knew how to use photoshop before Igot her book or it would seem a bit daunting. I love reading books and tutes the same. On the book side there is the way that the pro's do it and on the tutes there is ways that pro's do not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Hi Smurf,

welcome to RP!!

I'm so sorry to hear that you suffer from MS... but, as someone has already said, you have a lot of courage and I'm sure that photo restoring/retouching will be very helpful for you and for those who will enjoy your work.

What can I say ... you have 'landed' in the friendliest and best place in the whole 'www' ... ...

There isn't much I can add to the many tips you have already received ... beside, maybe, that I'm also a Photoshop self taught person ... and I simply started by reading first the PS Help File ... Searching the internet for help on what I couldn't understand has been (and still is) my main help source ... (by the way, that's how I found RetouchPRO and decided to stay... ) The only books I have bought are Katrin Eismann's ... which, as someone mentioned, are more for an intermediate/advanced level... But there are tons of other books on image manipulation just as good and valid on the market..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpapasmurf
Firstly - I am in the U.K and I guess most, if not all, of you are U.S residents.
... Yep ... but there is a 'very nice' bunch of members, from your side of the 'pond' (... just check 'my' Location on the far right of my avatar for one ... )
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Smurf,

Sounds like you have what you need -- hardware, software, interest, and positive attitude!

Katrin Eismann's book(s) expect you to know Photoshop basics, but her explanations are detailed enough to help follow along. You say that you are a novice on Photoshop and Paintshop -- that means you know more than I do since I'm not even a novice with Paintshop (I started with Photoshop and found it hard to switch to anything else). You will find that RetouchPro tutorials are mostly written for Photoshop -- see http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/
but there are a good number of members who use Paintshop and you can find posts from their work that can help you with skills in that program. Craig (Kraellin) is one of most avid Paintshop users/posters and there are others.

If you find that there are specific areas of Photo/Paint shop that you want to learn more about -- do a search and/or post a question. Same with a particular retouching technique. There is a ton of information already written here, but it's not always easy to find when you're new to the board (or even when you've been around for years and been thru a number of forum re-designs) -- it's always good to try a search first, but most folks here won't yell at you for asking a question that already been asked before -- this is a safe place for folks to ask questions, learn from each other and from the materials available. If some one person does bark at you, others will remind that person that we were all beginners at one time, and that we are all here to help and learn -- the learning never stops.

You can look at the Challenges (Retouching, Restoration, Manipulation, etc.) http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges/index.php/cat/507 and find skills demonstrated there as well as in the Tips Forum (be sure to choose "From the Beginning" as your choice of viewing the threads to see everything that is available. If you get mixed up in how to view the forum threads, someone will help if you holler loud enough.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/for...c&daysprune=-1
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Really sorry, this question may sound stupid, but, what is MS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 06:56 AM

Multiple Sclerosis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching