RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Getting rid of noise

Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 PM

Question Getting rid of noise

Hi guys! I'm new here. I feel very lucky that i finally found this kind of forum.

My concern is that how can I remove noise from the image or reduce it. Some shots are take at high ISO and the noise is active or its obvious. I tried noise ninja but there are too many settings which confuse me. Im looking for an easy way around (if there is any).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 AM

There's the "lab color" way and a quicker way

Lab Color:
+ Image>Mode>Lab Color (Turning to lab color mode)
+ Click to the channels pallet
There will be:
*Lab
*Lightness
*a
*b
Click on the a channel and Gaussian blur it till you dont see any grey noise.
apply the same radius of blur to the b channel too by clicking on the b channel and pressing CTRL + F.
+ Image>mode>RGB Color (back to RGB)

Quick Fix:
+ Filter>Gaussion Blur (Radius depends to the noise level of the image, same like in lab color fix)
+ Edit>Fade Gaussian blur (set mode to color)

hope these helps and welcome to RP by the way
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 AM

Fixing noise from high ISO can be troublesome. I use neat image which works very well in a lot of cases. I found Neat Image fairly easy to use so maybe you'd want to give it a try.

Getting rid of noise in LAB is probably the best way to do it. Using Surface Blur is often a better way to achieve it if you have CS2. Also, the majority of noise will be found in the yellow or blue channels depending on the colorspace you are in. Blue channels can be attacked a little harder than the others as well. If you decide to make the adjustments in LAB, they will most likely occur in the A/B channels rather than the L channel although damage will show up there in high ISO shots.

It's a difficult area that sometimes has no perfect solution. You always have to give up definition in return for elimination of noise. You have to find a middle of the road and sometimes there is no perfect middle of the road.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Patron

Noise

BlackPhnx, welcome to RP!
There are different types of noise which call for different remedies. The LAB method suggested to you above (blurring the color channels) works well for color noise. Other types of noise which affect luminance should be treated differently.
I find that noise filters like Noise Ninja and Neat Image (which is available for free) generally do a better job than the various tools in PS.
Those noise filters have a lot of options and can appear intimidating but are actually very simple, easy, and quick to learn.
Why don't you post a sample of your image and I will apply one of the noise filters and a description of the method of application of the filter.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 09:29 PM

well i tried the the quick fix but its not applicable in my photo.

ok here is one photo of my friend which is underxposed. i edit some stuff in CS2 . . . duplicate layer and then applied screen blending mode then duplicate again and applied overlay. I tried working out with the noise, but I failed. If you want the original unedited image. Just let me know.

Download Image
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Patron

BlackPhnx, the file at that link is compressed in rar, and most of us can not uncompress it. Can you either uncompress it or save it as a .zip file?
You can also attach a low res version directly here by clicking the Manage Attachments button below the text window. However the size must be limited to <100KB.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Patron

Color Noise

BlackPhnx, for attachment 1, I used PS Filter>Reduce Noise and used the color slider to reduce the noise. For attachment 2, I used Noise Ninja which I found to remove the noise but not desaturate as much as PS did.
BTW, it appears that the tone correction you performed on the original image created color noise to the point that it has become color damage which is why you have been having such difficulty removing it. I suspect that if you took a different approach on the original image tone adjustment, your noise problem could have been significantly attenuated.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg addictmobile MM PS.jpg (90.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg addictmobile MM NJ.jpg (91.7 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 AM

Hi,

blackphnx,

welcome to RP!!

I had a quick go at the picture you posted which, in my opinion:

* has too much contrast ... (parts of her hair are pure black and therefore whatever detail contained has been lost ... )

* is a bit oversaturated ...

* oversmoothed in some areas and still very noisy in others...

What I did is:

* Balanced Shadows and Highlights.

* corrected the colours

* 'balanced the noise by using Neat Image on the very noisy parts and adding a bit of noise on the oversmoothed areas.

A 'zoomed in' view in attachment 2

Very nice Murray!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_addictmobile.jpg (98.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-068.jpg (78.7 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 PM

Thumbs down

that was awesome! how on earth did you made that??? now im getting exaggerated over this . . . i used noise ninja but im stucked and messed up with the image. dont you guys have any tutorials on this? if you guys were only here in my place, i will treat you a bunch of beers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
BTW, it appears that the tone correction you performed on the original image created color noise to the point that it has become color damage which is why you have been having such difficulty removing it. I suspect that if you took a different approach on the original image tone adjustment, your noise problem could have been significantly attenuated.
exactly. i duplicate the layer and blend in screen mode and then flatten. duplicate again then blend in overlay. im making some sort of hight contrast and soft effect. something strong expression out of it . . .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching