RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Body manipulation

Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM

I had trouble finding a a decent shot with texture in the bkgd.

Here's a quick example i did for you…

••pic 1 shows the path that you would make, to reshape the woman's thigh.
-you're basically going to trim off that area inside the path, by cloning the bkgd over it. Your cloning skills will determine how natural this looks.

••Pic 2 shows that i made a clone layer, that's where you'll clone the bkgd info over the thigh. (this way your original is still intact incase you need to reshape the path to someones taste.) Turn your path into a selection so you don't clone past the area you are targeting.

••Pic 3 now shows the new thigh shape with the cloning i did over it. Looks flat and ugly and pretty obvious.

••Pic 4 shows the D&B layer i used to bring back some shadow and contour. You can do that with whatever method you are comfortable with.

I suck at writing directions on how to do things, much better in person....so let me know if theres anything that's confusing.

hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step1.jpg (75.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg step2.jpg (93.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg step3.jpg (89.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg step4.jpg (91.7 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by KR1156; 08-09-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2
The blurring isn't significant, but the problem lies with textures like jeans. After only one stroke you'll lose the original texture. I'm gonna give the layer duplicate to bring back texture a try.
I don't have any problem with texture other than what you'd expect--ie., if the texture pattern is less than 2 pixels across and you compress it then naturally you'd expect loss of detail because you are effectively downsizing it. If that's your problem, then upsize your image before using liquify.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
I don't have any problem with texture other than what you'd expect--ie., if the texture pattern is less than 2 pixels across and you compress it then naturally you'd expect loss of detail because you are effectively downsizing it. If that's your problem, then upsize your image before using liquify.

Bart
I tried that, it's a great tip and seems to work quite well so far. How many percent do you recommend I upsize the picture?

@KR1156: Thanks for laying that down in steps, I tried it and works great. The only problem I'm having now is creases in clothing, but I guess that can be fixed by spending some more minutes on the picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 05:19 PM

A couple of years ago, our singer at the time was not pleased with the way she looked in a photo that a guy took of us when we were playing at a festival in Houston. She asked me "Can you please make my legs thinner?" This was going to be a flyer for our next gig, and to tell you the truth, I didn't really notice anything unflattering about her legs, but she was serious; she begged me to do something to make her legs thinner. Well, I zoomed in on 'em and I started with her left thigh and I selected some of it and just moved it over to start with. Then I did the other side of the leg, and moved down and did her lower legs the same way. After doing her right leg the same way, I got the clone stamp out and worked around the area till it was all filled in. I also did a very light smoothing over it with the blur tool. She was happy. The liquifying, burning and layer mask concepts to me are fascinating and creative. Thanks for those posts, I will try them next time I get something like this. John
Amy, before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AmyB.jpg (70.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Amy.jpg (81.4 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM

My assistant loves the liquify tool ... I never have ... lol

This is what I find real quick and easy (I use photoshop);

- make a selection a little larger than the area you want to change the shape of - think ahead on the size of the area to include good blending/transition areas, but not any larger.

- Control-J to copy selection to new layer

- Control-T to Transform layer - if you have CS2 right click and select warp - tug and pull and you are done - if not CS2, hold down the Control key while grabbing any of the tranform 'handles' and push and pull to get the shape you want. Mask this layer and paint on the mask to blend.

Sometimes this can be done in one fell swoop, sometimes in smaller steps.

A perfect example of this technique is removing a double chin ... select the double chin area, control-j, mask out the face area down to the lower chin, control-t and stretch the lower chin up to the upper chin. Now you have the shadow of the lower chin blending off of the jaw line and hiding the area in between ;0)

best of luck,
roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2
I tried that, it's a great tip and seems to work quite well so far. How many percent do you recommend I upsize the picture?
It would depend on how much warping you're doing. I guess 200% in both directions would be a good start that way when you downsize it's an integral amount which is probably less strenuous on whichever interpolation method you choose. I don't have any experience doing this since I've had good enough results without upsizing--I just thought of the idea when I read your post.

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching