RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Body manipulation

Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 AM

Body manipulation

Let's say I wanna give someone thinner legs. I could use the liquify filter and play around with the different tools there (pucker, warp, turbulence), which gives me the exact result I want. The problem with that is the loss of detail. Areas that have been touched by the liquify filter are blurred because of the moving of the pixels. Does anyone have any tips on how to succesfully make legs (or other bodyparts) thinner (or bigger) while retaining detail? Muchos gracias!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM

Smile One thing I can think of

If you make a new layer with the original texture of the skin, use liquify on you original layer and then overlay the texture back.

Maybe you can post one of the image you want to edit, so we can try diferent things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 AM

Another Option

When I need to thin a leg or body part, first I usually try the pinch filter to see if that works, then I will use the liquify for anything additional that needs to be done.

Select the area, feather it a bit, and go to filter->distort->pinch, and use a positive number. Keep going up to see what works without looking to artificial. Then use the liquify for anything extra.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Patron

Manipulation

Liquify on a duplicate layer then apply a layer mask to brush back in parts of the orig layer to restore the original texture where possible.
Another technique is to select an area and use the Transform tool set to a reduction / enlargement % to modify the lentg or width and then use the clone tool to repair the gaps which are left. This works well on some images (for example making a person thinner).
Regards,
Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM

I'd be interested in the way you use the liquifier? If you use masks and make only straightforward strokes the blur should be down to a not noticeable minimum!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Another tip for liquify is always use the largest brush you can... the larger the better. It may mean a few trips to the filter but with a large brush as Patrick says the blurring should be negligible.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Patron

I often use the healing brush (or clone tool) and/or some good ol' dodge 'n burn to fix unflattering bulges. I have come up against 'puffiness' in faces etc resulting from incorrect lighting and flash and just some careful use of the burn tool to bring back some definition and depth to facial features does the trick. I also like to use the healing brush (no special reason really, just my personal preference). In my example I made duplicate layer, set a slightly softened healing brush to replace, sampled the edge of the arm with some shirt included, painted where I wanted the new edge to be, sampled and healed some more to clean up the job, the did some dodge and burn to correct shadows and hightlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (98.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (95.0 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 AM

@PatrickB: The blurring isn't significant, but the problem lies with textures like jeans. After only one stroke you'll lose the original texture. I'm gonna give the layer duplicate to bring back texture a try.

@berko1021: I used to use shear and spherize for manipulating bodyparts in certain ways, that always seemed to do the trick but it took considerably more work than using the liquify tool. Thanks for the pinch tip, didn't use that one yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2006, 07:49 AM

I think the liquify filter works wonders quickly, but not the best route for high-end work, or something that will print fairly large. To maintain 100% original texture / patterns / or grain...i would recomend drawing paths to your liking, mask out he area you want to slim, then do clone work to replace the information you tranformed or deleted.

One thing to be careful of....if you slim down skin areas like thighs or arms, the more you cut into it the more shdaow / highlight you lose.....you'll have to D&B that info back in on the edges to give contour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156
i would recomend drawing paths to your liking, mask out he area you want to slim, then do clone work to replace the information you tranformed or deleted.
Could you give me some step by step help with the 'drawing paths and mask out the area'? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching