RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how did he/she did this?

Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 PM

how did he/she did this?

found this beautiful picture on the internet.
i'm wondering how the he/she created the vivid colour and glowing effect on the leaves. the glow is very impressive...
Anyone has any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 141395.jpg (92.6 KB, 210 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2006, 10:50 PM

I was experimenting the other day in Photoshop and came up with a similar result. Here's an example I quickly put together...

1. Duplicate original layer.

2. Run Filter > Noise > Dust & Scratches (so that image is really blurry - I used Radius of 17, Threshold of 9)

3. Fade the effect to a point you like by going to Edit > Fade Dust & Scratches (I did 50% Opacity). You now have the glowy effect and just need to adjust the color to taste.

4. I used a color balance adjustment via Image > Adjustments > Color Balance and played with the shadows, midtones, and highlights. Keep preserve luminosity checked.

5. Hue/Saturation adjustment to saturate or desaturate according to taste via Image > Adjustment > Hue/Saturation (I slightly desaturated and lightened this image).

6. Run the unsharp mask to add to the glowy effect via Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask (I used an amount of 115% radius of 1 and a threshold of 8).

7. Extra step if you want a part of the picture to not have this effect apply a layer mask and paint out the item you don't want effected (like the statue in my example).

Hope this helps,

Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example.jpg (94.4 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 AM

old camera trick kind of. get a spare UV filter, put some vaseline on the lens around the edges of the subject, it will give a selective focus look, create a bit of bokah and generally enhance the colors of that area.

for the love of god though, dont put the vaseline on the lens itself....lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Patron

Here is something similar I acheived with a Xero Plugin- "Softmood"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lorifeed.jpg (85.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg lorifeed1.jpg (99.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 AM

Yay Littlecoo! Thanks for sharing that site - tons of awesome plugins! Not to mention you got a great effect with a whole lot less work.

Thanks again!

Kerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Jason,

One of the easy ways to get this effect, at least the portion of the image of the foliage in the foreground, is to use gaussian blur, then after you've applied filter, go to Edit>fade filter and fade gaussian blur in darken mode. It's important to make sure you're fading the filter in darken mode, so look for that option. You'll get that slight glowing halo effect that I believe is what's drawing you into the image you posted.

M.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 AM

thanks

tried all the different method posted in this thread. they all seem to give different effect but i still can't get to the effect which we get on the picture ive posted. strange... sometimes the holo effect is too much and detail disappears. the glowing effect just seem different...

here's another image that seem to have the same effect as the first one posted. very nice glowing effect but cant seem to figure that out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.7 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Patron

Hmmm... does look like some style of diffuse glow lighter with colour saturation bumped up a bit. There are some clean details there such as the model's face which suggest that some masking was used there. I like that effect too... might look further into it.
Kerry, the Xero filters are a perennial favourites of mine, there are some gems there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 AM

I think you're right Littlecoo regarding the diffuse glow. I took another stab at it this time keeping the second example provided right next to what I was trying and here is what I came up with (I'm sure there is an easier way AND I am a terrible drawer/painter so my "sparkles" could use some work).

1. Find image you want to use and adjust color, hue, levels so that the greens and yellows are boosted.

2. Duplicate layer and apply gaussian blur to new layer.

3. Duplicate blurred layer two times (ctrl + J on PC). Set first blurred layer to multiply, second to overlay, and third to lighten.

4. Add a blank layer above all of this. Select brush tool. Create a brush with medium softness, size and scatter jitter.

5. Use brush set to overlay to carefully paint on blank layer where you want your sparkles (not messy like mine) using a color of your choosing (I went with green). Make sure you vary the size of your brush - don't paint all your sparkles with one brush size.

6. When done and you like where your sparkles are, duplicate the layer and apply a gaussian blur to the new layer. Duplicate this layer once.

7. On first blurred layer set to overlay, second to lighten.

8. Adjust various layers opacity to taste and voila (I hope).

I don't think I have this down 100% but I think I'm close, a little more experimentation and I just might get it. Any other ideas? I really like this effect myself and would love to master it.

Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (47.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AnotherTry.jpg (93.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Brush.jpg (71.3 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching