RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to whiten teeth, nails, and eyes

Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM

I've hand colored this beautiful photo, however, when I used the eraser to erase her nails, eyes, and teeth of the excess coloring, they all turned a grayish color. I would like to know how can I bring the nails, eyes, and teeth back to their original color. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLORPRACTICE.jpg (59.3 KB, 232 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 AM

The eyes look ok to me?

For nails and teeth you can use hue/saturation layers, check colorize, turn the saturation down to 1-3% and adjust the jue to fit the rest of the picture. That should do what you need.

I just gave it a try but the picture is so small it's almost impossible to mask the gums so you can make it more realistic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 08:10 AM

Gerald,

You could try this: Make an empty layer at the top of your palette stack, set the blending mode to Soft Light and with a soft, white brush at 5-10% opacity go over the darker teeth and whites of the eyes. Be careful, over doing it will make the image look un-natural. I heard a portrait tip one time that said the teeth and sclera should be about the same level of whiteness to look natural.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Patrick to make the larger, just click on it. I tried both of you guys method and it work. Thanks for the info.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 AM

nails, etc.

Hi Gerald,

Attached is the adjustment that I made following on from your requirements for nails, teeth and eye whitening. the easiest method that I use and would recommend is as follows :

Open Picture, duplicate and zoom in to the required area. edit in quick mask ("Q" on keyboard as shortcut), soft paint brush around 13px, brush over teeth, etc, edit back to standard mode ("Q" again on keyboard), select/inverse, image/Ajustments/hue saturation (saturation should usualy be around 60), ok, layers pallette/create new fill/adjusment layer/levels then slide the slider from right to left (dark to light) until desired blend of white is achieved.

Hope this helps for next time

Regards,

Tinamou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLORPRACTICE_WHITE.jpg (97.8 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 AM

You should colour the eyes, nails and teeth the same as the rest of the picture, nails are generally the same as the skin colour, maybe a little pinker on caucasians and paler on darker skin, the areas around the eyes should be a light pinkish tone, around the teeth should be pink also - remember its not just teeth in there, never forget the gums and a little yellowing (not too much) on the teeth adds naturalism. If you're painting in soft light or colour mode then the whites will stay white and the colour will just stick where its needed. I would demonstrate, but at patrick said, the image is just too small.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2006, 10:22 AM

Nancy,

Gerald said in his first post "how can I bring the nails, eyes, and teeth back to their original color", there was nothing about whitening.

But it's funny to see all those people answering a different question
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Nancy,

Gerald said in his first post "how can I bring the nails, eyes, and teeth back to their original color", there was nothing about whitening.

I dont say anything in my post about whitening...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 04:58 AM

Patrick,

Gerald wrote the following in his thread "How to whiten teeth, nails, and eyes" therefore this is the reason that people got the idea his problem was whitening!

tinamou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Nancy,

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 AM

Sorry if I had confused anyone, maybe I had used the wrong topic, instead it should have been "How to bring teeth, nails, and eyes back to their originial color". I new how to whiten the teeth and eyes etc., but my problem was how to bring them back to their original color after hand coloring. For example, I had colored the face including the eyes. I had used the erase tool over both of the eyes to take off the excess coloring, but they turned a greyish color instead of the original color. I hope that explains everything.
I thank everyone for their info and tips, especially NancyJ on the coloring of the teeth, nails, and eyes. Those information are really handy the next time I hand color a photo. Thanks everyone.
p.s Here's a larger picture

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLORPRACTICE(2).jpg (64.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching