RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Drawn Picture- But how?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM

First, thanks to Swampy for such a nice image to play with.

Here's my way to get there ......

For the HDR effect:
1) Duplicate the layer;
2) Click on each channel in turn, apply Image>Adjustments>Equalize. *1

For the Sharpening / Edges:
1) Duplicate the layer;
2) Run the Filter>Other>Custom with:*2
Code:
 0 -1  0
-1  4 -1
 0 -1  0
3) Adjust with levels, white point at 127 - gives you a sort of outline sketch effect;
4) Set the blending of this layer to Multiply.

This looks good, but to get it more like the example:
1) Levels, lowering gamma to 0.8;
2) Slight yellow tint applied.

*1 I'm finishing a plug-in to do a controlled equalize but on this image we can just let it rip;
*2 Also known as the Laplace filter. If this is scaring you away, just use the High-pass filter - not quite as sharp but it's OK.

Hope this helps
(and it's a lot cheaper )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDRI-byRo.jpg (87.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by byRo; 08-25-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 01:52 AM

Ro, thank you so much for sharing your technique with us. As always you have presented it in a very readable way. I had never used the Laplace Filter before (had seen it once but had no idea what is was for) and now you have inspired me to fiddle around with it. Photoshop never ceases to amaze me. I have been using it for about a year and a half now and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, and know most of what there is to know about it, along comes someone with yet another completely novel approach to the situation and I realise that I probably haven't even scratched the surface. Anyway thanks to you and all the other really good folk at Retouch Pro for all your hard work and sharing. I hope I can do the same one day.

I have one question, however. I am a bit lost on Point No. 3.

3) Adjust with layers, white point at 127 - gives you a sort of outline sketch effect;
4) Set the blending of this layer to Multiply.

How do I adjust the white point with layers? Do you mean turn down the opacity of the layers until the white point is at 127? I am not quite how I would measure the white point anyway without using levels. And then Point No. 4. What layer should be set to Multiply. I am sure the answer is very simple but I just can't seem to work it out.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 AM

thanks ro...good advice..
what do the equalize command does?

Last edited by Yoolan; 08-25-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
.....How do I adjust the white point with layers?
Sorry, Syd, that was a 2 a.m. typo.
What I meant was Levels, oops! (see attachments for before levels and after)
I´ll correct my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
What layer should be set to Multiply.
When we put the white point at half-way most (half ) of our "Laplace" layer just became pure white.
Multiply blending will darken an image - with a white "overlay" having no effect at all and black making everything black.
So this is what we want, just darken the outlines and leave the rest alone.(see attachments for final levels palette)

Hope this clears things up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDR-Laplace-byRo.jpg (99.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg HDR-Levels-White-byRo.jpg (99.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg HDR-Layers-byRo.jpg (99.4 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 07:14 AM

Some great methods here. Thought I'd try too (hope swampy doesn't mind me using her image).

Duplicate main. Run Filter Accented Edges on a width of 1, duplicate, set blending mode to screen and drop opacity to 40%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (64.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoolan
...what do the equalize command does?
I don't know if you're comfortable with histograms, Yoolan - if so, then the first two attachments below will show what's happening.

If not, putting it in words: any image has a mixture of highlights, shadows and mid-tones. When an image gets concentrated in just one of these tones, although it may look cool, the overall contrast is low.
What the equalize function does is to (try and *) fill up each of the 256 channel levels equally - that way we get the best possible distribution of all tones. This will usually give us an image with more contrast.

* actually it's not so easy, and you will usually end up with unwanted artifacts where the equalize function had to skip a few tones.

OK, so why make a plug-in if PS already does the work?
1) If you run PS Equalize on an image (not the separate channels), it will equalize the sum of R, G and B - which, if you know a bit about channels and luminosity, is a very wierd thing to do and doesn't correspond to anything useful;

2) Sometimes we want to equalize the channels, sometimes the overall luminosity (which PS does not do) - and sometimes a mix of the two;

3) PS Equalization is all or nothing, just fill up each level as best you can - this is what makes the horrible artifacts. Often what you really wanted was some sort of smooth curve.
(oops, think I got carried away here - I'll stop now)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDR-Histogram-Before-byRo.jpg (99.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg HDR-Histogram-After-byRo.jpg (99.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Flat-Equalizer-byRo.jpg (98.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 AM

Got it Ro. You're a star. Thanks.

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Amazing the affects you can achieve, using Ro's method of equalizing all channels, noticed that the green channel was fairly dark and so upped the brightness on that channel alone, then noticing the colour a little skewed added a warming filter. Hmm after playing with some photos notice that not all photos are candidates for this type of treatment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after2.jpg (62.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 08-25-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM

Thanks Nancy.

I am trying a lot of settings here, but this plugin is really driving me batty. These figures will give me a starting point.

This plugin does work in Paint Shop Pro and I am still trying to figure out the fine tuning on the demo. The small window doesn't help much.

Thanks again.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanls
Sure Steve... close anyway. I "believe" I used Whyeth: radial button "3" Mix "33" and then once again with "exposure" on the same settings (or maybe a little less). You'll have to play, but it is close. I have the mac version. Don't know if it differs from the PC version or not. I really like this filter and I do use it quite a bit, unlike some of the other filters I have purchased.
Have fun!

~Nancy~
Old 08-25-2006, 11:00 AM

Here is a 5 minutes quick attempt using different workflow that I made up as I went along:

1. Duplicate the orginal.

2. Edge sharpening using Alpha channel (threshold 0, radius 1, amount 270). I made an action of this technique.

3. Apply layer mask to remove locally areas of excessive halos like the tree leaves.

4. Copy a blue channel to an empty layer on the top and set the blending mode to linear burn, opacity 25%.

By the way, you can't simulate HDRI using just one image (unless it is a raw file) ..you need at least two images of bracket exposures to extend the dynmaic range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickie1.jpg (93.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by singlo; 08-25-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching