RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Drawn Picture- But how?

Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Regarding Lucis Art--as Danny says, it is pricey, and not to everyone's taste, but they do offer discounts via various vendor codes. I did actually buy the copy I use for my various artwork (not a review copy).

Be aware that you are not limited to one effect--you can use different Lucis effects on different layers and combine them using various blend modes. Here is an unfinished tutorial layout from my upcoming ezine, showing two completely different Lucis Art effects combined via Darken blending mode. I followed it up with BW Workflow Pro, because the issue will be all about BW conversion.

Aside from art effects, Lucis Art is great for opening shadows and revealing detail you wouldn't see otherwise. Note especially the X-ray on the page linked above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucisblend.jpg (57.8 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 AM

I notice you are using the pro version here.

Do you have tutorials where you have used only the plugin?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels
Regarding Lucis Art--as Danny says, it is pricey, and not to everyone's taste, but they do offer discounts via various vendor codes. I did actually buy the copy I use for my various artwork (not a review copy).

Be aware that you are not limited to one effect--you can use different Lucis effects on different layers and combine them using various blend modes. Here is an unfinished tutorial layout from my upcoming ezine, showing two completely different Lucis Art effects combined via Darken blending mode. I followed it up with BW Workflow Pro, because the issue will be all about BW conversion.

Aside from art effects, Lucis Art is great for opening shadows and revealing detail you wouldn't see otherwise. Note especially the X-ray on the page linked above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Wink

Hi Steve,

Are you referring to Lucis Art or BW Workflow Pro?

If Lucis Art, I am using the standard cross-platform plug-in version (as opposed to the Windows-only standalone LucisPro).

In issue 1 of my ezine I have a couple pages where I used Lucis Art by itself. I tend to use it a lot because you get great artistic effects quickly. Issue 2 has a couple of examples on the last page. Issue 5 shows results from Lucis Pro done by the developer using my images. I used it as one of the first effects for the cover art for issue 7, which will explore creative effects more thoroughly.

The Lucis Art options I use most often are Sculpture and Klimpt. Sculpture gives you a colored pencil effect while popping the shadows and sharpening detail. Klimpt is the opposite--you get wild pixie stix color effects which are quite cool and unique. More recently (as I showed earlier), I've been combining these two effects into one image.

I haven't spent much time with Plaid; Wyeth and Winslow are useful at times. In practice, if you crank the slider when in any of the options, the effect can morph to resemble any other option. Try using the percentage slider to blend your original back in to modify the Lucis effect.

I'll keep you in mind for a focused Lucis Art tutorial in the future!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks for sharing your methods but none in my opinion is egual to the first posted. How to achieve that exact result? anyone know this?

It's just HDR and some PWL?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 PM

Angel

Nobody here can say "exactly" how the artist achieved his great effect. We can only guess. There are so _many_ ways to get from point A to point B in Photoshop. Perhaps you can drop him email and ask him?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Angel

Nobody here can say "exactly" how the artist achieved his great effect. We can only guess. There are so _many_ ways to get from point A to point B in Photoshop. Perhaps you can drop him email and ask him?
Hmmm...nice idea...i'll do it now.
wait for me, I'll be back!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 06:15 PM

HDR is a fantastic way to get very nice effects! But it should be as good as the picture shown on top her...This requiers som skill in coloring an d adding shadows and light really!

To get your HDR pictures just take a few underexposed and overexposed pictures...get a good range from dark to normal normal to light pictures...more then six pictures is ok! In PSCS2 it's a function under automate thats is called HDR! The hdr program ask for the pictures you want to use, u load them in and PS takes care of the rest! But if you want to get bette results search for HDR tutorials on google!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 02:35 AM

I agree HDR is a very good way for unusual effects. but i dont think the post picture is not only HDR theres much more work in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax
HDR is a fantastic way to get very nice effects! But it should be as good as the picture shown on top her...This requiers som skill in coloring an d adding shadows and light really!

To get your HDR pictures just take a few underexposed and overexposed pictures...get a good range from dark to normal normal to light pictures...more then six pictures is ok! In PSCS2 it's a function under automate thats is called HDR! The hdr program ask for the pictures you want to use, u load them in and PS takes care of the rest! But if you want to get bette results search for HDR tutorials on google!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Hi Everyone.

This is a great thread. I really liked the original picture posted by Yoolan.

It is difficult to try to emulate the results without seeing the original but I thought Nancy may have been heading in the right direction with Lucis art.

Using Swampy’s picture I have been trying to write a filter to match Nancy’s results.

Here are the results so far. I used FilterForge to write this (I have not submitted it yet)

I wondered what you thought about it?
Am I getting close to Lucis?
Do you like it?
Could you suggest any improvements?

Thanks.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_before.jpg (97.9 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM

Well for those of you who enjoyed her work, you can see more of her's here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-...ser_id=2171843

Her homepage is in Russian, but sadly, she doesn't appear to mention much about her techniques.

Enjoy... I'm now also curious to how this technique was done... hehe... gonna go surf some russian sites now lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching