RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get the Patrick Hoelck look?

Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Re: How to get the Patrick Hoelck look?

one more...think this is looking better..adjustet the dark and mask out down under the feet and face...

his pictures is more about dark and shadows...and the back lighting is very nice...

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kristine-trapp.jpg (98.3 KB, 558 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 PM

I guarantee you that much of his work is accomplished with studio lighting. While retouching is an intregal component, the 'proverbial' canvas he started with already had some dramatic lighting added to each image.

I also think some people forget how man man hours are probably spent on some of these images. While many want to accomplish the same 'look' in a matter of minutes or hours, I'll be some images take much longer in the digital darkroom. What Hoelck considers 'not much' post-production work may be infinitely more than what many on here are used to.

Johnny
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Johnny....Welcome to RP! Well, my response is that we are all on different hours and seconds on how much is much in post production...But I don't think that PH is doing the post pro on his pictures,...His talent is with lights...when the lighting is good and the models get teh right look in the face, the pictures is set to be great on any camera and anybody...But his pictures is fantastic due to posproduction...I don't think that PH has the time to process them all alone...He is quite famous and is heavily used by the hollywooders and celebs of america!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blood
I guarantee you that much of his work is accomplished with studio lighting. While retouching is an intregal component, the 'proverbial' canvas he started with already had some dramatic lighting added to each image.
Johnny
well, how can you guarantee? maybe you have a bigger experience with studio lighting than I do, and I really have some, but I dont see much "dramatic lighting" in his pictures. as for the picture that shows his light setup, there are just 3 equal light sources from the very same direction in case it´s a great use of lights with minor postprocess, how come we haven´t seen this effect before the PS era? I have seen so many photographers using obviously very similar workflow and saying things like "it´s my very special way of developing my negatives"/"it´s my very special lighting setup using years of experimenting and experience" etc reminds me of Jill Greenberg and the flamewars about her amazing lighint skills, it all ended when someone discovered her before/after comparison at the website of her retoucher amy dresser
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax
Me and a buddy of mine had a photoshoot the other day, we experimented with one flash against a silver reflector...i think that there is some patrick hoelck in this...picture...please state your comments on how to get it more right

the picture is taken by my buddy, Jorgen I'm holding the flash adn reflectore...I have one more picture I will share...

Gerry
I like the first one the most, I think you got it you masked the background and lowered it´s contrast and brightness + some PWL on the figure, skin tones turned a bit to yellow and bg more to cyan/green, correct?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 04:12 AM

faust: In fact i tokk up the yellow abit, but maybe too much...hehe,.,.the typical I can't see whats to much yet...training the eye is what I'm struggling with these days

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm probably an idiot for asking this, but what is PWL? I'm not familiar with the term.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Veed, it's a fancy term for Dodge and Burn. It's an acronym for Paint With Light, hence: PWL

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Understanding of light and how to usage is very important, but like a good magician that doesn't reveal his tricks, Patrick won't give much credit to retouching, no one does.
And for those who advocate on he only uses light, have a read on this article from a retouching company he works with

http://www.digitalfusion.net/news/fe...0061024-01.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
Me and a buddy of mine had a photoshoot the other day, we experimented with one flash against a silver reflector...i think that there is some patrick hoelck in this...picture...please state your comments on how to get it more right

the picture is taken by my buddy, Jorgen I'm holding the flash adn reflectore...I have one more picture I will share...

Gerry
Very nice work there superkoax & your buddy...also inspirational.

With some photographers, I'm in agreement with your <50% contribution from them....especially since I'm responsible for making their wide-gamut rgb images look good in cmyk print. Also had to correct and/or redo all of their attempts at using PS filters, masking, color corrections, compositing. etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching