RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get the Patrick Hoelck look?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 PM

How to get the Patrick Hoelck look?

Hi all,

Really enjoy reading through the forums and getting some ideas on retouching techniques. Does anyone here know how Patrick Hoelck gets his colors? I love his low key work - and it seems some fair amount of retouching goes into them.

www.patrickhoelck.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 AM

Hi eosguy,

welcome to RP!!

Patrick Hoelck's retouching reminded me of a 'similar' retouching style dealt with in this Thread.

Hope this helps...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 05:37 PM

to get the look is to go to school for 3years and study studio lighting, then experiment with set ups and F/stop vs light and so on! he has a nice picture were he have explained the ligt,så you can see how much effect the light has to the models face

http://www.patrickhoelck.com/color/porsche2.jpg LOOK HERE!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 PM

Re: How to get the Patrick Hoelck look?

I love it when people say things like "this is just masterful studio lighting and excellent makeup", adding even more mystery I work with up to 12 strobes in studio and can honestly say this has nothing to do with it, same as with Andrzej Dragan, Loretta Lux and other "mystical" icons, the lighting setup is obviously very simple and the light itself flat and soft, even a big softbox and maybe a contra light would do the job. to me it seems as a combination of the basic illustrated look with color tweaking towards cyan/green + lowering the contrast and brightness using curves, underexposing the background, maybe using a ND filter on the lens itself. sorry for my terrible english

Last edited by Faust; 12-16-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 05:12 PM

I actually read an article last month that Hoelck did in a big photography magazine - although I can't recall which. He claims that he doesn't use too much post, and that the majority of his effects/look are acheived through lighting. He's said to have spent many hours on tweaking things for certain shots.

I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I read it. I've seen his portfolio before and there are obvious (although flawless) digital things going on in some shots, but I could understand how a lot of the stuff is done with lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 PM

He has some work done in post, but the majority IS in lighting. I recognize some of the retouching on it (Marcus Klinko & Indrani primarily.) It's a lot of good photography and lighting. Obviously a retoucher tweaks things and brings in more colors, etc, but not to that extent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 AM

of course, it always sounds much better to state "I am simply a great photographer", then admitting that your pictures are actually very common and it´s "just" a lot of photoshop. on the contrary, people like Loretta Lux spread urban legends like the one that she spends up to 6 months on a single picture etc I don´t believe this at all, at´s a LOT of (very good) postprocessing, including the colours, highlights, the circular vignete, probably even the underexposed background is masked. anyone who actually works with studio lighting knows that there is no way how to achieve these in preprocess and that his lighting is obviously very simple and flat on most of the pictures. this is no disrespect to the artist, but I think that people often tend to create mysteries and some secret techniques, that don´t even exist

Last edited by Faust; 12-16-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 PM

It's so bad to take all the glory for a picture when sometimes the pictures only 50%of the job! sometimespictures is even less...I've seen work on the net where retouchers do all the manipulation and the photographer sits back and relaxes for a few weeks...collects the new pictures, sends them out to the wolrd and dod't give the retouchers any recognition...

If I some day get a picture out I will give teh retouchers equal recognition...

Probably the best way is to have a crew...1 photographer, 1 stylist and 1 retoucher...And go under a name nick name of some sort...then everybody get's the recognition....

hmmmm....

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Me and a buddy of mine had a photoshoot the other day, we experimented with one flash against a silver reflector...i think that there is some patrick hoelck in this...picture...please state your comments on how to get it more right

the picture is taken by my buddy, Jorgen I'm holding the flash adn reflectore...I have one more picture I will share...

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kristinejernbanen.jpg (98.5 KB, 683 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 PM

here is the other one....

taken by me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kristine-container.jpg (98.6 KB, 505 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching