RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to acheive this look

Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 PM

It seems like there's quite a bit going on in terms of painting with light. If you take your time (something I didn't really have the luxury to do with the example below) it's incredible the dramatic effects you can achieve. the trick is to maintain your light sources and really use the brushes to their full potential. Below is a very quick example using Nancy's photograph. It's just separate layers curved darker or lighter, masked and painted back in. There is a final sharpening (which kills the details due to the compression of the JPG) and an overall desaturation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (98.8 KB, 486 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Amy Dresser retouched(/es?) Jill Greenberg's pics, so check out http://www.amydresser.com/pages/sipper.html for a before and after comparison. In an interview with her, she revealed her techniques as really bright frontal lighting in combination with highlight enhancing postprocessing (which is very visible in the example pic).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Do u think is possible to obtain a retouch like that starting from a pixellated starting photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2006, 10:32 PM

Of course it's possible; I mean, it all boils down to your intents with the photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arandel
Amy Dresser retouched(/es?) Jill Greenberg's pics, so check out http://www.amydresser.com/pages/sipper.html for a before and after comparison.
That one show that Amy is one of the best!!! Wow!

/megl
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM

HI ... Here is my attempt....
I've used some different method, didn't came out as I expected but, with better before photo I think that this might work...

here is what i suggest : first find the darkest and the lightest point, then duplicate layer, remove all white (transparency-eliminate white) on the duplicate, and set blend mode to darken.... you might want to make another copy of the original, just in case (I always do)... then go back to the original and pop up the highlights as much as possible...
the rest will be just some color adjustments to the duplicated layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1 copy.jpg (92.5 KB, 183 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM

nancy, i too borrowed your image -- i like your version a lot.

this was totally an experiment, a combination of things, and probably not close to what was being sought out in this thread, but it was a lot of fun to work on and i liked the end result.

marsha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1nancy.jpg (97.3 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 04:24 AM

Hope you don't mind Nancy, had to have a go at your image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jillesqu copy.jpg (68.0 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 08:02 AM

Goose came the closest so far.. all the others look nothing like what Jill is doing..:+{
I find it halariious when people jump in saying "oh it is so easy... jsut need the right picture".. cough cough
It is not easy and if it was, everyone would be doing it instead of "trying" to do it..
These guys are very experienced Photoshoppers and have "their" technique that gives theirs or others photographs a "special" look.
It is not just done in one try on some photoshop forum.
Hate to sound harsh, but these come up all the time.. First Rave was the "DRAGAN" look , that by the way no-one really ever got.
And then there is the Loretta Lux "look" with her pale colors and enlarged kids heads and eyes..
Then there was the Jim Ficus "Look" and now we have moved to the Jill Greenberg "Look"
Ofcourse these people are marking the times with great photography first of all, accompanied by awesome photoshop skills and retouchers.
So for some one to comment.. That is easy this is how you do it.. Must be Joking themselves and the people on these forums..
It is great that people comment and work together to try and figure out some of what is going on in these retouched pictures to help "all" of us,
But jumping in Saying Oh that is easy Just makes my skin curl...
Just my 2 cents.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 PM

rIGHT ON, sNOOK

Thats exactly what I think when one of those threads come up, theres always someone saying "that's easy!" and post a result which sometimes is laughable.
I dont want to be rude too, theres nothing wrong about trying to get better, and ask for positive critiscism and advices, but when people post an his workflow as the definitive solution, but the result proves otherwise - thats the problem.
Ricardo
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching