RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to acheive this look

Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM

Smile What do you think SNOOK

AM I CLoser?

Mostly dodge and burn (With a set of curves)

Selective colour

Contrast and so long...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-atempt.jpg (96.0 KB, 322 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Yeh GodMother that looks pretty good. But have to see the original I guess to determine that.
In any case no one has to ask me.. I was just making a comment.
I have learned all I know in these forums mainly and some VTC's.. So I am not sturring trouble.
Just do not like when the "know" it all's do not know.
You are belittling someones artistic interpretation and something they have worked hard to create. So to say oh that's easy I can do that attitude is not Kewl in my mind...
Anyways looks good. Just maybe missing that oily "wet" contrasty skin I guess.
Looks good
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM

First of all, Jill worked on the original images already got some existing spectacular highlights on the skin and she strongly enhanced it with Photoshop. She didn't start off with a flat photo. She mixed hard and soft lights in studio. Unless you got an orginal of Jill's before photo, it is difficult to work out her techniques. (I don't enjoy looking at crying children photos and personally prefers Lorreta Lux's "other worldly" photos more, but my opinion is off-topic here.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarts
Put aside the controversy about this artist and let's discuss how she acheives this look in her photography: http://www.paulkopeikingallery.com/a...erg/index0.htm

It has been suggested that she works in the Lab color space. Any ideas?

Cool, I was a student of chan chao (who is represented by that gallery) few years ago
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Smile I don't like them either

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlo
First of all, Jill worked on the original images already got some existing spectacular highlights on the skin and she strongly enhanced it with Photoshop. She didn't start off with a flat photo. She mixed hard and soft lights in studio. Unless you got an orginal of Jill's before photo, it is difficult to work out her techniques. (I don't enjoy looking at crying children photos and personally prefers Lorreta Lux's "other worldly" photos more, but my opinion is off-topic here.)
This is not question of like and dislike.
And we all know (I asume) she takes the picture knowing where that image is going to end.
What we try to do here is duplicate that "style"
If client tells me: "Hey... I Want this picture to look like that" the only one who is going to care about original light source... it's me.
And... It's good for the mind to study a picture and try to know what what you can do in Photoshop to "get it"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 AM

These forums and these type of objectives have a very real benefit to many. It stretches us, makes us explore methods, find new methods etc. Even if one pronounces they have it down pat, it does not matter, as everyone executes differently and by exploring methods and ways of doing things, you grow in your skills and awareness.

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the comment Snook.

I agree it is not easy and in fact is quite time consuming even for a low rez. A high rez print image is down right painstaking. My sample is mean as a very quick approximation as this is a learning site.

I also agree that a little humility is in order when trying to disect/reproduce the work other skilled artists took the time to develop, master and in some cases pioneer.

To say the process is easy is like saying impressionist painting is easy; just take some paint and put it on the canvass until it looks like a Monet. You can make it sound easy but really there's a lot involved.

That said, I think that to try and approximate an approach that will yield results in some small way similar to those of an accomplished artist allows for a great many lessons and new techniques learned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Patron

Can't get the skin shimmer.

First, I did use Nancy's image (hope you don't mind Nancy). Since I don't have (or can afford) Lucis arts, I tried to duplicate a few of the features using Flaming Pear's Mr. Contrast. I also did some smoothing and such, but I can't seem to duplicate the edge shimmer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jillesqu.jpg (67.8 KB, 117 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM

This reminds me of something I stumbled on a while back. It's semi-formulaic, but goes something like this:

-Add a channel mixer, set it to monochrom, and slide the blue channel towards negative (near -100%) and slide the red and green channels towards positive (near +100%). Push red higher than green. Tweak things so as to prevent blown highlights on the subject.
-Set the blend mode to luminosity.
-Merge duplicate (ctrl-alt-shift-E). Set blend mode to overlay.
-Apply high-pass filter--adjust the radius to look about right.

I attached one I dug up:
1. Original
2. Channel Mixer
3. High pass

In this particular case, the channel mixer was RGB = -88, +70, +142. And the highpass was radius 30 and I set the fill to 80% on the highpass layer. It's best if the subject is lit with diffuse light (overcast day or in the shade). I don't have the benefit of bright backlighting as in the referenced gallery--that would probably complete the effect.

Gives the eyes a funky color too.

Bart

Last edited by bart_hickman; 09-18-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305
Goose came the closest so far.. all the others look nothing like what Jill is doing..:+{
I find it halariious when people jump in saying "oh it is so easy... jsut need the right picture".. cough cough
It is not easy and if it was, everyone would be doing it instead of "trying" to do it..
Yet again snook you're mistaking technique for skill. You're also trying to compare quick sketches with the finished artwork and complaining because they dont look like something that takes a few days and a wad of cashola to create.

Theres a huge difference between being able to easily see how something is done and reproducing it.
It is clear from looking at those photos that they are all well lit and well photographed, the subjects are sharp, slightly cold and the expressions have been exagerated through enhancement of the lights and darks - otherwise known as pwl.
Simply knowing that wont make you Jill Greenberg though.
You made the same complaints in the Amy Dresser thread - who very kindly provided a sample file and written tutorial - showing that there was nothing special about her 'technique' and that she was doing exactly what we all said she was.
In fact nearly all these 'big names' that everyone wants to emulate are using the same techniques - sharpen, tint and pwl - but that doesnt mean their work is all the same. The same simple techniques used in different ways create a multitude of different effects.
First and foremost *most* of these people are photographers not retouchers - they may retouch their work but its about the photography and the finished product - not 'oooh see what a great photoshopper I am' - so yes - the right photograph does make a BIG difference. Thats why photographers shoot hundreds of frames and use only 1 or 2 of them. They're not just snapping the first shot that they can get or grabbing a pic off stock xchange.
They have training and experience in photography and lighting - these things are far more important than the post production work - which is the metaphorical icing on the cake.
You're not going to convince anyone that your retouched 'jo bloggs' is a Jill Greenberg original but that doesnt mean you cant use the same techniques in a similar way on it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching