RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Getting skin tones right?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 PM

I vote for just changing the curve adjustment layer to luminosity blend mode.

do we get to vote?

If you like some of the increased color but not all of it, dup your curve adjustment layer, change one of them to color and the other luminosity. reduce the opacity of the curve layer that is using color blend mode to taste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 PM

My vote goes to Roger's suggestion which is essentially the same as Byro's suggestion. Byro converts it to Lab and does the S-curve on the Lightness Channel whereas Roger suggests setting the Blend Mode of the Curves Adjustment Layer to Luminosity thereby also nullifying any effect to the colour. Either of these suggestions would have avoided the yellow problem in the first place. While all the suggestions in this thread are very creative ( and I especially enjoyed Edgedwork's - thanks for such a clear explanation Edge - I went and tried it immediately and it is a tip I shall note down for future reference) none of them are necessary because the colour cast shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Why don't you post the original before the S-curve and we can have a shot at that and see if we can get the same contrast without affecting the colour?

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 AM

I usually set my layer mode to something other than Normal. Color and Hue do not effect luminosity and Luminosity doesn't effect color.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18831452

One way I fix skin color is by duplicating the layer in Color mode and then run Replace Color. I replace it using skin color charts (try Google Images).

Examples of my Replace Color action

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18951902
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM

apply image

just tried apply image very quickly to try and fix the toning in the channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newww.jpg (98.3 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 PM

LAB Rules

Working with skin tones in LAB is really easy if one starts with the basic Caucasian skin color of 80 -20 - 20 (L - A - B). this issue bcomes where to apply that metric. In this case, i selected the baby's cheek. First picking the black and white points using curves and then adjusting only the skin tones as above gave the result in the thumbnail.

Look pretty natural to me ... what do you think?

Stosh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M-and-D.jpg (98.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM

hello.

lovely pic.

1) autolavels then fade to about 10%
2) desaturate a bit
3) sharpen
4) filled a layer with blue and overlayed about 5%

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLOR-COR.jpg (95.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh7
.....the basic Caucasian skin color of 80 -20 - 20 (L - A - B).
I prefer to use relative numbers for A and B instead, in this case A=B, and let the circumstances decide the value to be used.

Actually, I was just going to comment that I use B with 4 to 8 points more than A, but then I remembered that you said Caucasian so A=B is about right.
It's for Latin skin (like here in Brazil) that B is slightly higher (i.e. yellower).

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 AM

LAB skin colors

I agree with you Rô, skin tones vary by race and even more so within the same photo. My decision is always - to which part of the face or body part to apply the metric. Averaging over a wider area seems to make sense, but the fine tuning always resolves to subjective tweaking. The cook book methods only take you to the general area, the rest is up to l'ouvre.

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 02:13 PM

So many ways to skin a cat!

I like the results from everyone it really has been informative. I like to try to keep the background white. So layer fills for me don't really work. The LAB colour technique certainly sounds interesting I shall now have a go at that. One question however, how is an image affected when it is swapped between different modes (eg RGB to LAB or CMYK?) am I degrading my image each time I convert it (I was some how under the impression that this was the case!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Ohhps

Oh something else that effects my workflow is that I shoot all pictures using RAW, which is then converted using a raw convertor program such as CaptureOne or I am currently experimenting with Lightroom. This means that the inital conversion and tweeking of the pictures curves is carried out before I play around in Photoshop (therefore I guess the "yellow" damage has already been done, eg As far as I am aware I cannot work in LAB mode) so I guess I then have to fix it in Photoshop. Sounds to me rather like I am doing something wrong here! This is not such a good workflow, or is it normal?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching