RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Plastic skin

Old 09-18-2006, 07:53 AM

Exclamation Plastic skin

Does anyone know how to make this plastic look:

link

I've seen this technique a few times but I have a hard time finding some tutorial on making the plastic skin.. its not just some blur.. but if anyone can tell me how to make this style i would greatly appreciate it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 AM

To my eye, that first plastic look actually looks 3D rendered rather than a photoshop manipulated person.

A thread you may be interested in from a while ago is
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/13164-how-make-plastic-skin-highlights-sample.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 AM

After having a bit of a play on an image borrowed from another thread, best I could come up with was a heavy median with heavy highlights. Would be better with a more consistent tone though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jancikelq5 median hevy copy.jpg (92.3 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-18-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Those images are airbrushed - either completely from scratch or using a photo as a guide there are plently of 'tutorials' around that cover this technique but they're usually not very insightful - when it comes down to it, its just hard graft and artistic talent.
You can kinda cheat it though. The look is basically very smooth gradients and exaggerated highlights.
If you have CS2 you can use surface blur to get a great airbrush finish - on a complete image you will probably need several layers with varied settings to get it just right. There are a number of ways to exagerate contrast, my fave (atm anyway) is to use a high pass overlay layer with a high radius - its a very versatile filter.

The other - more difficult way is to make a smudge painting of your picture with a soft airbrush changing mode between lighten, darken and normal.

Attached is a quick example of what you can do in about 5-10 minutes with high pass and surface blur. If I get bored later I might demonstrate a smudge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbrushfake.jpg (82.1 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by NancyJ; 09-18-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 04:01 PM

i THINK THIS IS A JOB for the people behind the magzine computerarts! This is reminding much of vectoring....The idea si to get everything plastic that enhances the feeling of everything being plastic! O've seen the other pictures and look at the lighting oin face and body! it's painted in! Maybe this retoucher is more experienced withing graphic design or witihn art sketching in photoshoP!

GErry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM

thx for the replies ..ill look into them here in the weekend.. there might be something usefull in them..but if anymore ideas are out there i will gladly see them

I have heard about the airbrush thing before..but im not quite sure where to find a good tuturiol about this.. so if anyone have a good link to one just put them in too ..
thx for the help
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Re: Plastic skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Those images are airbrushed - either completely from scratch or using a photo as a guide there are plently of 'tutorials' around that cover this technique but they're usually not very insightful - when it comes down to it, its just hard graft and artistic talent.
You can kinda cheat it though. The look is basically very smooth gradients and exaggerated highlights.
If you have CS2 you can use surface blur to get a great airbrush finish - on a complete image you will probably need several layers with varied settings to get it just right. There are a number of ways to exagerate contrast, my fave (atm anyway) is to use a high pass overlay layer with a high radius - its a very versatile filter.

The other - more difficult way is to make a smudge painting of your picture with a soft airbrush changing mode between lighten, darken and normal.

Attached is a quick example of what you can do in about 5-10 minutes with high pass and surface blur. If I get bored later I might demonstrate a smudge.
can you explain in more detail what you did step by step?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM

I think, that these are photo based paintings. The first layer can be the photo base and on it are a lot of hand painted layers, something like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAD0...eature=related
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM

(but in PS of course)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by per77 View Post
Does anyone know how to make this plastic look:

link

I've seen this technique a few times but I have a hard time finding some tutorial on making the plastic skin.. its not just some blur.. but if anyone can tell me how to make this style i would greatly appreciate it
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

To get that Perfect Skin/Doll look or Plastic Skin... use a combination of techniques that would be applicable for your particular image from the following tutorials

1. The quick de-grunge trick
2. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits
3. So So to So Sexy
4. Wet Skin
5. How to create Metal-Like Skin
6. 5 different methods to achieve the Amy Dresser look:
Amy Dresser Tutorial.pdf
7. Comments and work flow from Amy Dresser(Download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see the work flow she used to achieve this)

The search button at the top of each page is a very convenient tool

Hope this helps.... looking forward to seeing your pictures
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching