RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Guide Lines

Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM

Guide Lines

Is there anyway in PhotoShop 7, or does any one have any ideas on how one can use guidelines but make them able to be manipulated so that they can be used to allow for perspective? As I have used guides, they seem only to be able to produce horizontal or vertical lines, but what if you need a diagonal line? I know I am wording this badly, but maybe this will illustrate what I am trying to do. Case in point, a photo of a house under construction where no garage door has been attached. Because the angle of the photo is slightly to the left, there is some skewing. I do have another photo of a house with garage door that I can copy and past in. I used the skew command, and was able to make it fit, but there are some subtle areas, that show a less than consistent line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingping 1.jpg (90.0 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Hi Christo,

I'm not sure why you want to use guidelines. I'm assuming you don't care about guidelines, you just want to add a new door realistically. Post what your result was and post the image from which you copied the replacement door so we can troubleshoot. Seems to me if you cut out the garage door properly and then properly reshaped it with the free-transform tool, it should have turned out correctly.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 AM

Christo...

To move an object from the center or left of a photo and paste it into the right side of another photo requires a change in the perspective (the degree to which the top and bottom are parallel). I don't think you need to use the gridlines. The garage door opening defines where the top and bottom of the new door must be. The only trick is to reshape the new door to fit.

Two functions are needed: 1) EDIT->FREE TRANSFORM and 2) EDIT->TRANSFORM->PERSPECTIVE and maybe EDIT->TRANSFORM->SKEW. Be sure to turn off VIEW->SNAP to allow for fine-tuning. To get correct lighting or shadows you may need to EDIT->TRAMSFORM->FLIP HORIZONTAL
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Guide Lines

Thanks all. this is what I was able to come up with. I know it isn't perfect, but I was able to make it look somewhat realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingping Lp. 002 (C).jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Janitor

All that's really missing is matching the shadows.

I sampled something I knew was white in real life, but in the same shadow (the trim above the door) and filled an empty layer with that color, then set the blending mode to multiply. Then I just selected the door with the magic lasso and used that selection to mask the new shadow layer.

It still needs a bit of refining, but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingping.jpg (13.9 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 PM

It looks like you might not have cut the door out from the original perfectly because the angle of the panels is a bit off near the top.

As for colors, similar concept to what Doug mentioned except I used a levels adjust layer and the set black/white points to directly transform the shadows/highlights on the door to nearby shadow/highlight colors on the trim.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage_door.jpg (40.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Changes the hue and tone of the garage door. Straightened thedoor panels. Couldn't stop - Added a nice Pella front dorr and grass. All you have to do is water and mow it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingping 1a.jpg (92.8 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2006, 09:25 AM

A little shadow around the edges of the door would look less "placed" as it is usual for a garage door to be slightly recessed from the facia, also on having a bit of a play, the perspective looks a little out

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-22-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching