RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need Help Retouching Wife

Old 09-28-2006, 07:02 AM

Re: Need Help Retouching Wife

Hi Dan

I am afraid I did not keep the file, but you have a good start. Your biggest problem I think is in the type of background replacement sky file. You need to find a file that has water as well as sky. That way the waters will blend and you will have a horizon. Check out the stock.xchng they have lots of quality photos you could use.
I included the background I used.

The halo around her hair is not a big problem. Notice the lower left shoulder and hair there is no halo there. That is because of the color of the background. When you add your background with water you will be blending the water and sky to match and there will not be a large luminance difference . Otherwise the water or sky showing thru her hair will better match the new background color.
You could also work on the mask but that would be pretty complicated to describe here. There are some good books out there to help you. One I would recommend is Photoshop Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eismann.

You may want to compare your mask with the one I posted earlier. Notice the circled area it is white to black with gray that will blend with the new background. After I made the mask from the blue channel copy, I ctrl clicked on the channel to load its luminance, clicked on RGB then back to the layer pallet with the selection still active. I made a duplicate of the background and while on the top duplicate layer I clicked the mask button in the layer option menu. This transferred the selection to the mask. Then I opened my sky and water picture and inserted it below the masked layer. I made a quick example from the Jpeg file to show my layer configuration.

Then I used curves to match the brightness and basic color of the existing and new waters. If needed you can spot brighten areas…say behind her head so the halo does not show.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (96.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (62.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (18.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 09-28-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM

some nice work here!

one thing to remember on this is, you have to add a horizen line. sky does not blend into sea in one fell gradient.

to create a horizen, i drew a 1 pixel line in blue across where i decided the horizen was/is. i then used the new 'color changer' in psp xi to change the too white areas to more blues and greens.

i then selected the sky based on brightness and changed this to solid blue and promoted this to a new layer.

i then used the MuRa's Meister plugin filter 'Cloud' to add in a new sky. this also added a semi-opaque cast over the entire layer. i wanted this semi-opaque to help blend in the sea with the rest of the sea as well as to put the clouds over the solid blue sky.

then i simply erased the parts of the blue, semi-opaque cast i didnt want.

i also ran a usm filter on the girl and land. she was a bit blurry.

copy merge, paste to new layer, reisized for posting, done!

craig

edit: oh yeah, i cloned out the power lines too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg positanocr3-1-k-1.jpg (97.1 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 PM

I think the Veed has a great idea. It blends in realistically because it's hazy. Also, I think you can massage the tonality better if the image is monochrome. The colors are really falling apart when you try to do any adjustments. Here's an example using the Veed's image:

Pam
http://www.pbase.com/pam_r
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stretch-RP-sm.jpg (99.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Pam; 09-28-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Is there an easy way to mask just the girl and the wall? Not necessarily easy, as long as it's effective.

I've tried isolating using channel mask but can't create enough contrast between the girl and the plants.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Stretch

You are not limited to using tools like levels or curves to create contrast... go ahead and pick a brush and set it to black or white and paint... Or use a paintbrush set to overlay with an opacity to 50 percent... that will allow you to refine your mask.

You can also use burn and dodge on highlights or shadow. And experiment with the opacity... and remember when the mask is done and in use you can still click on it and use tools to reveal and hide as needed.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 AM

Daviskw, Kraellin - Thank you for your advice.

Here is my best effort. I gave up on the sky altogether and went for the all-water look. No sense trying to blend the sky and water (maybe after I've become more proficient).

I'm not happy with the hill in the background. It's too washed out. I could have cut it out but Positano would not be Positano without hills and mountains. I added the flare to hide the wash-out. How could I have fixed this?

I stamp-cloned out the car. I tried using Vanishing Point but gave up. The wall stone pattern could be much better I know.

The water background is really of Positano. I found the pic on Pbase. It's truly a beautiful piece of Italy.

All in all, I'm happy with my first attempt at photo retouch/composite. I thank you all for your valuable advices and efforts. This is a great forum. I think I'll stay a while.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynda-above-Positano.jpg (80.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM

I think you did a very good job... I really like your wall and the water looks good. As a suggestion... I went on the net and found an acceptable picture of the exact same hillside. I will include it below. I inserted it as a smart object then used a mask to fit. I also took a little time to remove the lensflare from between her legs. Did it in a hurry but you can take a little time... I think it is coming along great.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynda-above-Positano.jpg (99.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg posit2.jpg (57.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 09-29-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM

Hi All,
Here is my attempt to fix this print hope you like

I used a combination of mask's and background's images to get the sky
small mountains and added boats
I added a curve layer to improve the color over all; And extended the white dress a little.Here is a revise version

P/S: How do I upload larger then 100k file? I notice when I click on some
of the other Images they open up at large scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revise_wife.jpg (74.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by skyjely; 10-05-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 PM

Skyjely,

How did you make the dress to extend? Liquify?

Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi Dan
I copy and Paste the area I need to extend;Then I use the free transfrom tool to make the dress look right.Make sure you overlap the copy and paste
Image then use a layer mask and paint off the overlap area blending
it with the bottom layer.

Cheers!
Skyjely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help.jpg (95.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching