RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty Shoot Problem with Hairs in the Face

Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 PM

Re: Beauty Shoot Problem with Hairs in the Face

One more . . . .

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hairs copy 5.jpg (58.3 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM

Bravo, Beth ... better than mine.

What was your work flow?

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Hi Stosh.....

Thanks for your kind comments........ it was such an easy thing and a cheating thing too because I stole the idea from Ikroll......

Download the Xero Filter Pluggin (free just Google it) once those are in your filter section, this is what I did....

I opened the file then went Image > duplicate > OK
(now you have 2 - Image A and Image B - you can do this other ways I'm just telling you how mine came about)

To Image A:
Ctrl + J to duplicate layer and on this layer I went Filters > Xero > Fuzzifier
played around with various strengths, found one I liked for pores and clicked OK.

To Image B:
Ctrl + J to duplicate layer and did the same as with Image A except I concentrated on making hairs softer..... click OK.

I held the Shift key down as I dragged Image A over Image B (so they'll line up perfectly) once A was on B I played with the opacity of the layers until I landed on one I liked......

Before flattening, I used the eraser to clean up lips and nostril.......

Again, thanks Ikroll for the idea !!!

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks Solitear - I'll give it a try. Can't argue with the results.

A suggestion - to line up the layers more easily (using photoshop), try converting either layer to Difference mode. Activate the move tool and do a rough alignment. Use the arrow keys to move the image pixel by pixel. When the pixels of each layer match exactly, the image will be all black as they are subracted from each other. Then convert back to normal mode and the layers are perfectly aligned. It's fool proof.

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Thanks stosh........ hey, I've got a question for you smartie pants ........ unless I've missed something (which is happening quite often these days) how is the Difference method easier than holding the shift key when dragging the whole layer onto a matching layer?

Don't be trying to mess me up by using one of those weird blending modes that nobody ever really uses........ you know the ones ........ Difference..... Hard Mix ........ those modes were just put there to make it look like Photoshop was hard....... that's why they're down at the bottom and not at the top of the list.....

oxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitear
Thanks stosh........ hey, I've got a question for you smartie pants ........ unless I've missed something (which is happening quite often these days) how is the Difference method easier than holding the shift key when dragging the whole layer onto a matching layer?

Don't be trying to mess me up by using one of those weird blending modes that nobody ever really uses........ you know the ones ........ Difference..... Hard Mix ........ those modes were just put there to make it look like Photoshop was hard....... that's why they're down at the bottom and not at the top of the list.....

oxox
Beth

Well Beth, my pants may have just gotten a bit less smart.

So far as I know, holding the shift key while using the Move tool restricts the movement to either horizontal or vertical ... nothing between. If your mis-alignment is other than a straight horizontal or vertical line, it won't help to align the images. If there is another use, I'd like to know more about it ... always willing to learn.

The only use I have found for Difference mode (a fancy blend mode at the bottom of the list (:Ž) is exactly what i suggested above ... to align two identical layers or portions of layers of identical images. For example, if faced with merging the overlap of difficult of mis-matched panorama images, you can align them manually by temporarily changing one to Difference blending mode and using the move tool as above. This blend actually subtracts the pixel values of the blended image from the base image. What happens is that when the pixels exactly overlay each other, the net RGB result is 0,0,0 and the pixel goes black. To perform an accurate, exact match, you can move the selected image one pixel at a time using the arrow keys, until you get exact coincidence - a totally black overlap area. It really works a treat ... try it.

BTW, this is not an original idea ... I read it in a book; one of many I often turn to for help. I'll be pleased to share, if you would like the reference.

Stosh

P.S. Here's another amazing shortcut for those esoteric blend modes. Take any image and make a duplicate layer. Select the top layer and activate the Move tool. Now hold the Shift key and click the "+" key ... the blend mode changes to the next one down on the list. By continuing to click the "+" key while holding Shift, the blend modes cycle and you can see what effect each blend mode has on the base image. Select the one you like most and vary the Opacity to lessen the effect to taste. The "-" key moves you up the list to retrace your steps. Now THAT is a smart set of trousers - eh? Same book!

Last edited by stosh7; 10-05-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 PM

OK stosh ......... you have completely redeemed yourself and, after reading your last paragraph, I've actually placed you higher than mere smartie pants level....... Wow....... what a great trick!!! Thanks!

I really have had the need to line things up perfectly and your "low down on the list Difference" blend mode would be a much better way than my "scientific, high-brow, drag over and hope my astigmatism isn't too bad while I squint and keep adjusting opacity" method......

I do thank you for the tricks and for the smiles, too.....

oxoxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2006, 02:56 AM

Angry Re: Beauty Shoot Problem with Hairs in the Face

Hey, talk about the "Beauty Shoot Problem". Do not talk about "Who is better than..." This can you discuss in the -Sigmund Freud Pro- forum.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 PM

I just tried a theory and I'm not too disappointed with how it turned out. I basically blurred the whole image, then added some noise until it looked decent. Then I used the history brush to get the hard lines back on the non hairy parts. Finally I used the history lightly to get some of the texture back in the upper lip, and then only had to do some very small touchups with dodge and burn. then I ran some dodge over the lighted areas to try to even out the light source because I think the hair cast a shadow where there shouldn't be one.

Anyway, I played for a few minutes and it looks okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hairs2.jpg (88.9 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching