RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help Recreate This Look

Old 10-03-2006, 01:06 AM

Re: Help Recreate This Look

Thought maybe it'd be better to show the before and after for a better comparison...... these are so smashed because of size limit but maybe you can get an idea.....

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeAfter.jpg (98.5 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 AM

Not time to say much (late for work) a lot of the colour seems to have been lost in saving to jpeg so the second less saturated version seems unecessary now.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, it may be becaue its early and my eyes arent fully awake but I dont see anything special in those images other than, good lighting, sharpen and correct white balance - I'm not seeing any 'glow' to the skin - but like I said - its early

These attempts are more based on your description than on the sample images, if its close to what you want I'll write up what I did but I have to get dressed for work now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fit1.jpg (89.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg fit2.jpg (87.9 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitear
Thought maybe it'd be better to show the before and after for a better comparison...... these are so smashed because of size limit but maybe you can get an idea.....

Beth
OMG!!! Solitear! I think you have almost got it! Great work!!!! Thanks SO much!!!! Can you give me the detals of your method (ie, what duotone to use etc).. You guys are the best! (Ps. awesome picture)

NancyJ, although I dont think yours is exactly what I was looking for, very good attempt! Thanks guys so much for trying! Also, great attempts Ziaphra and Skydog, thanks for taking the time to help. I love this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 AM

Keeping in mind that you are looking to automate the process, my solution was to;

firstly change the background colour of the palette colour to white,
Filter ->Distort ->Diffuse Glow (Graininess = 0, Glow amount = 4, Clear Amount = 17,
Image adjust - > Levels, 20, 0, 255
Copy Merged to New Layer
Filter->Highpass = 20
Set Blending mode to Soft Light

You could record these steps as an action, but naturally, in order to get the best results across a number of images, you would have to compared the results across a number of images and adjust accordingly. Other adjustments for levels or curves should also be able to be incorporated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NA9S1196 copy.jpg (89.8 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 05:05 AM

Cassidy,

Thanks alot! I have considered the diffuse glow filter as being a possible part of the process. I think I will give your process a try and let you know what I think. It looks pretty good at first glance.

After all is said and done, maybe I should offer those guys money for their action I'm sure they would say NO, or demad LOTS! hehe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 AM

They didnt come out here as they did in PS - I will have to have a fiddle with them when I get home
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
They didnt come out here as they did in PS - I will have to have a fiddle with them when I get home
NancyJ, I had another look at your pics, and I really like the process, especially the slightly undersaturated version.
Would you mind explaining what you did?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Btw, One of my favourite photographers was kind enough to share his post techniques for his fitness images which look quite similar to the above images. However, he says he has to do each image individually depending on lighting.
Basically he applies shadow/highlight in CS2 at it's default setting, uses curves to get richness, adjust saturation levels to normalize colour, then play with levels to get whites white and blacks black.

I've tried the above technique, and my images still look nothing like his. I actually find the shad/highlight tool at default tends to ruin my images, especially when shot at a high ISO (as most stage shots are).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Hi drisley....... of course I'll tell you ....... it's something I learned from someone else anyway...... it's so easy you could turn it into an action ..... here's what I did:

Open photo and duplicate it then close your original.

With just this copy open go to Layers > Duplicate > click OK

On this copy go to Image > Mode > Lab then click on Lightness channel

Go to Image > Mode > Grayscale..... now

Go to Image > Mode > Duotones....... pick any one of the brown duotones from the Pantone offerings

Now go to Filter > Blur > Gaus. Blur and blur a tiny bit..... I think I used .5

Finally, click back on your colored photo because we're going to pull the Duotone on top of it

Holding the shift key down, click and drag the Duotone on top of the colored one ....... which now looks duotoned, too .... until you ...

Change the blend mode to Overlay.......

That's it....... play around when choosing your duotone browns because, while it makes little difference, it does change the undertones.

I feel terrible that I don't remember where I got this tutorial ... I'd scribbled it down instead of printing it out and have had it for awhile ....... hope it helps you!

Beth

Thank you drisley for finding the tut........ it's posted by Mig in the tutorial section (I hate not giving credit where credit's due) and thank you, Mig!

Last edited by solitear; 10-03-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks Beth!
It wouldn't happen to be this tutorial would it?
http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/...d_duotone.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching