RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour)

Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 AM

Re: Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour)

"how about using curves for smoothing skintones ... if i add adjustment curves.. i can only edit the 3 colors rgb , dont i ? so i have to add loads of curves, right ?

thx
mario"

that sounds even more arduous to me, Iwas talking about a basic curves and levels adjustment before starting off or on finishing off
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
"how about using curves for smoothing skintones ... if i add adjustment curves.. i can only edit the 3 colors rgb , dont i ? so i have to add loads of curves, right ?

thx
mario"

that sounds even more arduous to me, Iwas talking about a basic curves and levels adjustment before starting off or on finishing off
ahh ok..i do that normally always... on this image not yet
but i thought of curves with masks on every seperate color to even skin tones...
but that would just be another way than pwl right ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM

Doing it that way, I think, would give more scope to skewing the colour
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 AM

ok... ty all... hav to work on these tips... i will post another result...

but if u like .. i , and i think others too, would be very pleased to see other approches and explanations...

regards
mario
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM

First off, let me say, I am no expert on this, having only recently begun to experimenting with this technique myself but perhaps I can give you some pointers.

Actually, I think you did very well on your D&B effort. With just a little more work it could look good. I took the liberty of taking your D&B and ratcheting up the contrast a bit to show you where work needs to be done. (Attachment 1)

Then I had a go at it myself, and although it is by no means perfect, I include it to show you the general direction in which you should be moving.
(Attachment 2)

For what it's worth (and please bear in mind I have very little experience in this) here is my two cents on D&B. Here I must also give credit to TheVeed who gave me some very valuable pointers. He advises to start big (say at 100 - 200%) and then, if necessary to zoom in closer. I use a 2-10% opacity brush, with a flow of 50%, a hardness of 25% and a size of anywhere from 1-50 pixels although most work is done at about size 10.

Some other tips....zoom in and out constantly, add a curves adjustment layer to bring out the contrast. This will show you areas you haven't seen. Get up from your desk and stand about a meter away from your computer. You will see more from here. Switch off all the lights in the room. This will give you yet another angle. Leave your computer for a while. Go and do something else. Come back again with fresh eyes.

Can't think of anything else now. Hope this helps.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dana-D&B-Contrast-Exag.jpg (88.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Dana-D&B-Contrast-Corr.jpg (87.6 KB, 155 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Okay here is my completed (well, is it ever complete?) D&B effort. All the skin work was done on one Soft Light layer. No clone tool, no healing brush, no blurring. I did however, color correct, sharpen and add contrast.
I will attach the D&B layer for you to see. Copy it and Shift-Click-Drag (this will ensure that is centered) it over the original. Change the blend mode to Soft Light and switch it on and off to see the results.

Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flawless-Skin-Help.jpg (99.2 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Flawless-Skin-Help-D&B-Mask.jpg (76.0 KB, 187 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
Okay here is my completed (well, is it ever complete?) D&B effort. All the skin work was done on one Soft Light layer. No clone tool, no healing brush, no blurring. I did however, color correct, sharpen and add contrast.
I will attach the D&B layer for you to see. Copy it and Shift-Click-Drag (this will ensure that is centered) it over the original. Change the blend mode to Soft Light and switch it on and off to see the results.

Sincerely Syd
thx syd that was exactly what i asked for ... it is brilliant... u did an awesome job !!! how long did it take you ?

it is really just this grey layer... i will practice a lot on this to achieve the same result...

thx
mario
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 PM

It's my pleasure Mario. It took about three hours. I forgot to add I only have a mouse and I use mostly a clicking action but sometimes use a 'swiping action'. It's not easy but it is very rewarding. It leaves the pores intact but smoothes out the tones. You want to smooth out the transitions between the light and the dark areas. You DONT want to flatten them entirely! otherwise you will be left with a homogenized 'wall' of skin which will hardly resemble a face. Don't try and do it all in one go. Do some and then rest. Go and do something esle. Come back the next day (if you can possibly hold back the excitement), just take a break. It is really important.

I include a slightly more 'contrasty' version side by side with the original for comparison. It doesn't need this much contrast but when I looked how it came out in Explorer it just didn't have the punch it did in Photoshop.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dana-Comparison.jpg (96.1 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Re: Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour).. Part II

Such a great shot to work with, I continued more into the 'glamor' look using my #2. I softened her skin a bit more, added sharpening so that her eyes and lips, contrast and color to her lips to brighten, PWL II action to reduce some of the shadow areas further and reverse unsharp mask to a duplicate layer for 'punch', using settings of Amount=20, Radius =80 and Threshold =0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model-like-II.jpg (97.4 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM

looks also really fine and even more glamourous
thx mario
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching