RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour)

Old 10-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour)

hi all... i spend the last two days reading this forums... a great place to stay and i am not new to retouching... i read about dodge and burn techniques and about the dior skin tutorials. so i decided to try these new techniques on my lovely wife dana...
here is the result.. i am not happy with this...
1. original file
2. removed all wrinkles by myself
3. blurred and highpass from here : http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1169397 but i got lots of shadows on the hands an chin ...
4. dodge and burn thechnique...wich made me cry

can u please help out and give some tries on my file.. i put it here: http://www.ml-artdesign.com/dana_ret.tif its 9 mb ... pls share your work.. i am especially interested in how to dodge and burn...i read all the threads here but it is never really explained... i found the d&b - set but my try was horrible and just flattened out the skin... i even didnt make much darker.. just lightened the skin its even more uneven and blotchy

pls help ... i want to recreate a flawless skin and the look of the glamour mags...diorlike models...like shellby shows on hers http://www.retouchme.co.uk/ .. i like that work very much...
regards... mario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danaskinretouche1.jpg (96.2 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg danaskinretouche2.jpg (95.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg danaskinretouche3.jpg (96.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg danaskinretouche4.jpg (95.2 KB, 405 views)

Last edited by bullys1974; 10-07-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Re: Need help creating "flawless" skin (glamour)

You need good photography and make-up to create a glamour look. You have to start off with the right product to get that finished result.

I think you need to practice your dodge and burn technique, as well. Practice makes perfect, remember. Don't rely on blurs or filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed
You need good photography and make-up to create a glamour look. You have to start off with the right product to get that finished result.
yeah..i know.. apart from that i dont think that this is too bad photography for an amateur photographer...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed
I think you need to practice your dodge and burn technique, as well. Practice makes perfect, remember. Don't rely on blurs or filters.
thats the point... how to do that ? i cannot practice if i dont know how ? i just lighten up the skin ... just clicking around makes no sense...would like to see how you would do that in this particular pic.. so i can practice..pls help

thx
mario
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 AM

- healing brush tool to smooth out the skin and match colors in areas that are blotched, lines under her eyes, etc - done on separate layers so that the opacities can be adjusted,
- Chip Springer's Paint With Light(Color) II action found at http://www.atncentral.com/download.h...e_Enhancements
using a white soft brush and very light opacities to decrease shadowing and again, using skin color to balance any areas that the healing brush didn't fix or match properly,i.e. her finger tips, chin area, etc. At atncentral, there are also other 'glamor' actions that you may like.
- image/adjustments/shadow/highlights to lighter her hair as well as increased midtone contrast to highlight her eyes
- added a dark vignette to a duplicate layer, adjusted the opacity and masked out any over-effect,
- sharpened the lightness channel of a duplicate in LAB mode, pasted back overtop of the original and applied a 'hide all' layer mask to allow applying the the effect only to specific areas by painting them with a soft white brush. i.e. eyes, lips, hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model-like.jpg (96.4 KB, 397 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
- healing brush tool to smooth out the skin and match colors in areas that are blotched, lines under her eyes, etc - done on separate layers so that the opacities can be adjusted,
- Chip Springer's Paint With Light(Color) II action found at http://www.atncentral.com/download.h...e_Enhancements
using a white soft brush and very light opacities to decrease shadowing and again, using skin color to balance any areas that the healing brush didn't fix or match properly,i.e. her finger tips, chin area, etc. At atncentral, there are also other 'glamor' actions that you may like.
- image/adjustments/shadow/highlights to lighter her hair as well as increased midtone contrast to highlight her eyes
- added a dark vignette to a duplicate layer, adjusted the opacity and masked out any over-effect,
- sharpened the lightness channel of a duplicate in LAB mode, pasted back overtop of the original and applied a 'hide all' layer mask to allow applying the the effect only to specific areas by painting them with a soft white brush. i.e. eyes, lips, hair.
wow thx gary.... thats the help i search...
u have done very very well... a little too good perhaps ... but thats not the point...
u didnt use any blur thechnique ?
can i use the pwl action for dodgeing and burning ? that atn creates 1 grey-layer ... i read that it is not so good like a burn and a dodge curve ?

any other tries ?

regards mario
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 04:45 PM

Biggest problem was the lack of contrast. I bumped the contrast to give a little more shape to the face and added a touch of glow, made the lips a little glam and enhanced the eyes. Skin smoothing and lots of healing brush.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/dana.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Something like this ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15249.jpg (69.0 KB, 233 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullys1974
wow thx gary.... thats the help i search...
u have done very very well... a little too good perhaps ... but thats not the point...
u didnt use any blur thechnique ?
can i use the pwl action for dodgeing and burning ? that atn creates 1 grey-layer ... i read that it is not so good like a burn and a dodge curve ?

any other tries ?

regards mario
Thanks. Yes, the ATN sets down a grey layer in Soft Light mode so, instead of using the dodge and burn tools, you can use a black brush to darken and the opposite to lighten. Dodging and burning are great tools but for me, this method is more effective and less 'color damaging/changing' for this type of project. Also, you can select any color within the project and use this to increase saturation, smoothing, etc by simply changing the brush and layer opacities.

As for smoothing, I neglected to state that I used Dynamic Skin Softener filter within the NIK Color Efex Pro bundle on a separate layer so that I could adjust the effect and mask out those areas that I wanted untouched.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 07:46 PM

Pure painting with light is arduous to say the least, especially when starting, maybe meet it half way with a DeGrundge via Byro's method http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=213
and then finish off with painting with light. As you get the hang of it maybe drop the degrunge opacity more and more. This way I'd think it should not be so overwhelming. I am by no means any expert, just my two cents

PS. BTW, don't forget about things such as curves and levels adjustments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danaskinretouche1 copy.jpg (90.2 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-09-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework
Biggest problem was the lack of contrast. I bumped the contrast to give a little more shape to the face and added a touch of glow, made the lips a little glam and enhanced the eyes. Skin smoothing and lots of healing brush.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/dana.jpg
that looks really nice and i will remember the bumping of the contrast and the glowing for the lips... thx

@crex: this looks also really fine.. what was ur way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
Pure painting with light is arduous to say the least, especially when starting, maybe meet it half way with a DeGrundge via Byro's method http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=213
and then finish off with painting with light. ...

PS. BTW, don't forget about things such as curves and levels adjustments
how about using curves for smoothing skintones ... if i add adjustment curves.. i can only edit the 3 colors rgb , dont i ? so i have to add loads of curves, right ?

thx
mario
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching