RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hand Coloring

Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 AM

I think you did a fine job on this, and I like the background colored. On my monitor it looks a bit heavy on the magenta end (I would prefer a bit warmer color). Although I love the old black & whites, Isn't it great how these come to life with color?!
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2002, 03:36 PM

Lisa, it sure looks like you're catching onto hand coloring very quickly. Nice job.

I will have to agree with Vikki, though, that it does lean a bit heavy into magenta. Wonder if your monitor is calibrated?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2002, 07:47 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think you're doing a great job for someone just getting started on it. Like the man said, you're catching on very fast. I think what you choose to color is a personal choice, and I also agree that the skin tones could be a little warmer.

Ed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2002, 11:10 PM

Hand Coloring

Thanks Vikki, Tim and Ed (I appreciate the encouragement). It sure is fun taking a plain Black & White Photo and bringing it to life. How would you suggest I tackle toning down the magenta. I've tried Paintshop Pro manual color adjustment - I didn't really like the results. I have also tried manually adjusting the color balance (Photoshop). Each time I moved the slider over to tone the magenta color the green and blue background got brighter. I've also tried Photoshop to look at the different color variations. Most gave the overall picture a yellow hue

P.S. Ed - I'm sure my monitor is calibrated... remember the horrible time I had calibrating monitor, scanner etc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 12:52 AM

What a fun picture!! The expressions on all of your faces are priceless!! You're colorization looks VERY natural. GREAT JOB!! I downloaded the photo to play around with the color balance. I used the Color Balance tool in PS:
Highlights: +5/0/-3
Midtones: -1/+3/-3
Shadow: 0/+4/0
I didn't have any method to getting these numbers - just fooled around with the sliders. After I changed the color balance, I also increased the saturation +15.

I probably shouldn't be posting this b/c I've been staring at the screen for too many hours and can barely distinguish color casts (meaning I'm likely to over correct), but here's what it looks like after the adjustments I made.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lisa, sherry, billy newbackground2.jpg (56.6 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 01:51 AM

Hand Coloring

That looks great Jeanie, thanks for the step by step. The colors do look easier on the eye and I don't believe you've over- corrected. I like the results.

I have to laugh everytime I look at this picture. I was on 2 1/2 when it was taken but remember to this very day how my brother was not co-operating and was given a stern lecture - hence the big pout.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 05:01 AM

Try using "Variations" in Photoshop to adjust the Magenta.

Whenever I do a coloring, I usually start off by applying a sepia type tone (only warmer) over the whole photograph. Another thing that I've read, and found to be true, is that when coloring, it's best to keep the contrast lower. Most of those types of photos don't have good contrast, and the color is usually subdued. Here's an example of what I mean. It's just a quick rendering, but another way to tackle the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1.jpg (66.1 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 06:00 AM

Lisa,

Here's a tip you might use for future jobs....Go to the "Resources" area on this site and download Bruce Beard's Skin and Hair charts. Then you can use the color sample tool in PS to get your basic color started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:29 AM

Hand Coloring

Thanks Tim. I do use the skintone and haircolor palettes and find them very helpful. I find skintone's to be a little on the yellow side and often apply several layers of at least 2 skintone colors to get the result I want. I often have to tweak the color after I've done a test print depending on the results. Paintshop Pro has a neat tool that allows you to manually adjust the color and it has it's own skintones built in. If the color is too yellow or even sallow or grey, I use it to add depth. I made the mistake of adding more of a magenta color to this image as it printed a little muted compaired to the original. I do find epson papers to print true to color than HP. I've experimented with a few different papers and find they very greatly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:51 AM

If you adjust your coloring on the skin tones, you should isolate the areas so you only change the skin tones but still keep that rich red in the dress. I think that color tuned out great.

Just a little tip:I like to color each area on seperate layers or save my seperate color selections to load later so I can go back later on and change any colors or saturations that I'm not satisfied with without affecting the other color areas.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching