RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hand Coloring

Old 01-30-2002, 12:04 PM

You havent stared too long, Jeanie. That is better. I find this interesting because this is so hard for me. The only thing I would add is maybe Lisa's right arm is still too yellow and from the start, the suit has been too purple. I'm going to try those areas but I doubt if I ever post it, I can do hideous things to color.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 12:07 PM

Okay, if my previous post doesn't make any sense, it's because I missed one whole page!!!!

Sorry about that.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 03:13 PM

Hand Coloring

Thanks Vickki - the sepia tone gives the picture a more aged look as well as softer appearance overall. I know what you mean about the contrast - older pictures seem to have a great deal of shadows and less contrast due to the flash. I have read a tutorial which suggests you take the picture and colorize it adjusting the hue and saturation before you begin hand coloring. I start with basic level adjustments, midtone, highlight etc after I've scanned. Then I spend time fixing the obvious rips, dust etc. One lesson I have learned is to save, save, save. I have about 15 copies of this project with variations and saved as both a psp and psd so I can later change the opacity or levels of each layer. The skin color is sure a challenge even with the skintone chart. I find most of the skin tones too yellow or orange. I end up making several adjustments to finally get a basic skin color.

Your quick rendering looks great. I appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:11 PM

Thanks
I also keep too many copies. I never delete anything until I get a print that I'm happy with. Sometimes I don't, so I have to do rework, which generates even more copies! More is better when you've put a lot of work into something.

Regarding skin colors. I find a photo that has the skin colors I like, and use those to make my own palette. I also find that it looks more natural if the people in the photo are slightly different colors, as is true in real life.

My biggest problem is trying to find the right color mix for blonde hair. I want to get the color that you see in photos done with Marshall oils. I have yet to find one color that works. I usually end up layering a few colors on top of each other, and I've never been completely satisfied with the results.

Little nusiance aside, this is still one of my top 3 favorite things to do digitally, so it's nice to chat with someone who enjoys it as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:55 PM

Hand Coloring

Hi Again Vikki (this time I spelled it right)! Blonde hair is a tough one too. I have a friend that works on Marilyn Monroe pictures that gave me some wonderful tips. He suggested using several layers for just the right shade of blonde. He used the platinum shade for highlights and the used a darker shade for the areas that were shadowed framing the face. Then an overall color. It really does make a difference. Here is a picture of my great Aunt in which I used that method to color. Her highlights were in platinum blonde and next to her face I used a pale gold blonde and finally for all over, I used bleached blonde.

BTW - the original picture was ripped, faded and someone scribbled all over the back side. This picture took me an entire evening just to smooth out her skin! Arrrg. But the challenge - was too much to pass on. She has my colorized picture in a frame and shows it to everyone. She loves to tell everyone - "see, I told you I was a blonde" - hard to imagine with her white hair now. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auntie mickey hand colored resized.jpg (35.3 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 07:59 PM

Hand Coloring

I thought I would attach the original. It would be fun to see someone tackle this one. I know it was a challenge for me. If anything, you see the kind of work the goes into the before and after process
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mickey before resized.jpg (81.0 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 09:56 PM

Lisa, that is excellent. You are really talented. Kudos.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 12:19 AM

Re: Hand Coloring

Quote:
Originally posted by OhThatGirl2001
I thought I would attach the original. It would be fun to see someone tackle this one.
Ok, here's my shot at it. I...
  • Used WinImage's Remove Feature, Remove Horizontal and Remove Vertical for the scratches and specks
  • Re-textured the cleaned area that resulted using the Dither operator
  • Mildly sharpened the eyes, brows and lips
  • Took the dynamic range of her right eye and then pushed the entire image to match. That burned the hair and the left shoulder a bit, but it really brought the face up, so I kept it.

Also - and this has nothing to do with the photo, really - but I really love the look on her face - I bet she was someone to really reckon with at this point in her life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auntie_micky4.jpg (69.6 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 12:21 AM

Argh... the high level of JPEG compression put a certain level of cruddism in there that's not actually in the edited image. Oh well. Se la vie, se la guerre!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 01:11 AM

It's beautiful, Walt. And you did bring out her attitude.

BTW-when I looked on the WinImages site, I couldn't find a demo. Do you know if there is one?

Sharon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching