RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Question about the Dior tutorial

Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM

Re: Question about the Dior tutorial

Hi... love the twinkle in your Grandmothers eye... that little devilish half smile.
Like a dummy I took that away in trying to smooth under the eye… It was a mistake.

Glamour retouching is sure not my thing…but I tried anyway…lol

Good Luck
Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandma.jpg (98.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 10-16-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Thanks everyone for helping.

Irshgrlkc... I love the makeup! I thought about adding eyelashes, but didn't have a clue how. I also like the evening of her skin..the glow that it seems to have. I'll give the de-grunge method a shot. Hopefully I can follow all the way through using PSPX.

Suzzie1234...I tried the Dior, but seem to only get so far with PSPX and was not pleased with where I had to stop at, but thanks anyway.

Daviskw...for someone who doesn't excel in glamour retouching, you sure did a good job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 PM

Thank you. The eyelashes I used are actually a brush where I paint them on a layer and then contort them to fit the eye. Since I use Photoshop I don't think you can use the same brushes, however here are some PSP brushes that you can download.

Eyelash Brush
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Irshgrl,

After all was said and done I decided that she looked better in black and white so there is not much worry about color and tone. I did use the de-grunge method. I think she will like since she doesn't think she is very photogenic. THanks for all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized.jpg (97.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM

i had a go at this also. the first thing i did was to increase the image size by 300%. this will give you smoother lines and transitions. if you're short on computer memory, you may not be able to do 300% but try to increase it if you can.

one way to even up the skin tones is with the airbrush tool in psp. make a new layer above your current one. just a blank layer. take your eyedropper tool and pick a surrounding color that you want to paint with. select your airbrush tool and set it to a very light opacity, like 1 or 2, 3 at the most. set hardness to 60. set step to 5. set density to 50 to 60. thickness to 100. rotation to 0. blend mode to normal.

now just paint over those areas you want to correct. if you get too strong a line of paint, lower the opacity another step. and if you still cant get a light enough line, then dont hold down the mouse while you paint; just dab it on one click at a time.

when you have something fairly close to what you want, go to blur, gausian blur and set this to about 2 to 8. have your preview on image turned on so you can see the full results. when it looks ok, hit ok.

just keep repeating this entire procedure to clean up those areas you want to clean up. and keep adding new blank layers each time that you paint into. this is a bit slow but shld give you some nice results with practice. it's not the only thing i did here, but it's the main thing i did here.

i also used the red eye removal tool to fix the redeye and changed the background to something darker for a bit more contrast. i also added a brightness/contrast adjustment layer to lighten things up a bit and give a bit more contrast overall.

and tell your grandma she's a lovely woman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandma-1-k-1.jpg (95.7 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Here is my take on your Grandma, I tired to keep her fitures and yet even out her skin tones and take off the glare. I added some make-up too.
I did it in Photoshop CS2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandma.jpg (71.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Kraellin...thank you for the steps! I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I had to resize the photo in order to attach it. Are the resolution and the size different?

Cathy H...thank you also. I love the make up!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching