RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Yellow skin

Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Re: Yellow skin

Pepperspray...... that looks great..... and I'm guessing the softness comes from the blurring of the luminosity layer??? I keep forgetting to even try things like that.......

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Thanks! I've been a bit shy to jump in with my efforts so far, but your comment is very encouraging.

And yes, you were right - I remembered reading a tutorial about blurring the lightness and when I saw this image, I thought I'd try it. It's certainly an excellent one to add to the toolbox - and you don't even need to change to LAB mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM

Pepperspray...Wow, you did fabulous. I can't say I understand the process you used, but I sure would like to understand.

Solitear...Ditto WOW. I love both of the changes you made. I would love it if you would break it down for me how you did them. I use PSP X to edit my photos so hopefully I can make sense out of the steps you used (assuming you use PS or something else). And BTW thanks for the compliment.

JBurt...I have a Sony DSC-W7 Cybershot, so for this camera your suggestions won't work. However, I will be upgrading to the Sony DSC-R1. So, thank you for your suggestions and I will use them. What kind of Camera do you have?

Thanks everyone for you help. It was much appreciated.

God Bless
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:19 PM

Cheers, QueenBrownShuga.

I don't know the first thing about PSP, sorry. I use PS CS2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 PM

If I could afford Photoshop CS2, I would make the switch. But thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM

Thanks Shuga...... here are the steps for the second pic.... I use PS .....

1. Used the color sample tool and clicked on the most yellow part of the skin
this should now be your foreground color.

2. Create a new blank layer over your picture and go Edit > Fill > Foreground Color (leaving blend mode here to normal and 100% opacity) don't preserve transparency, click OK

3. On this layer (which should be a solid yellow/ skin color) do a Ctrl + I to inverse that color (now should be a solid dark blue color)

4. Set the blend mode of this layer to Soft Light and adjust opacity

5. I wanted to get rid of some of the highlights so I created a new blank layer over this and painted with my brush in Overlay mode at 27% opacity sampling often by Alt + clicking which changes your paint color quickly.

6. After covering highlighted areas with paint I went Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to completely smooth any streaking.... your colors will probably be too bright so .....

7. Go to Layers > Adjustments > Hue/Sat and lower the lightness slider to darken the color, click OK

8. In layers palette adj. the opacity and use the eraser to clean up any "overspray" from the blurring.....

9. Flattened the image and that's it !

oxoox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 PM

Sorry this is so long but thought it would be cleaner to break them up in separate posts....... this is for the third picture (not the one of your nephew)

1. Went to Layers > Adjustments > Color Balance and clicked on Midtones

2. Pushed the slider towards the color blue until happy with color, clicked Ok

3. Then I did a skin de-grunge (sounds gross but smoothes skin in a natural way) tutorial written by a RetouchPRO pro byRo found below:

The Quick Degrunge Technique
(at long last)

1) Make a duplicate layer;

2) Open the Gaussian blur filter and change the radius until the grunge just becomes invisible. Be careful here, getting the radius right is very important. Note the radius and cancel the filter;

3) Apply the High-pass filter at the radius you just noted down;

4) Apply the Gaussian blur on this layer at 1/3 of the radius;

5) Invert the layer (<Ctrl><I>), set the blending to Linear Light and the opacity to 50%;

6) Apply a Hide-all mask and paint white where you want to degrunge.

That's it.......... (my husband had to tell me that in step 4 above re: 1/3 of the radius just meant that I multiplied whatever number I used for the High-pass radius by .33) GAaaaaahhhh........ so embarrassing ......

That's what I love about this forum...... so many talented, generous people to learn from......

oxoxox
Beth

PS. Kraelin (Craig) is a PSP pro and could probably translate - others here are, too...... he's just the first that came to mind and a dear heart!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Patron

Made an assumption.

Assuming that the shirt is red (not violet), I used the color picker and found that the color was around 30% too green and 40% too blue, so I used the channel mixer (on duplicate layer) and adjusted the opacities down on the Green and Blue channels accordingly. I set the resulting layer to Hue and flattened. It looks like your camera is amplifying the greens and blues more then it should (or attenuating the red depending on your perspective).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Papa _resized.jpg (84.2 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM

Hey Ikroll...... when you say you used the color picker..... were you judging the numbers by a sort of formula???? Your method is new territory for me but, judging by your results, I'd really like to learn it since the results are excellent !! Even if you could just point me in some direction I'd appreciate it...

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 AM

I found this link of PSP retouching techniques: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pai...orialsretouch/

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching