RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Yellow skin

Old 10-17-2006, 01:55 PM

Re: Yellow skin

Here's my take on this.

I used skin by the numbers technique from http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=191 (subscription)

The technique uses CYMK and Curves to adjust skin color. See attached scren print.

1. Use Color Sample tool to select the cheek (stay away from the shiny portion).
2. In the Info palette change to CYMK for the selected color cample.
3. Bring up the Curves layer.
4. Select the RGB channel in Curves. Click on the selected Color Sample portion of the skin will show you where on the Curves graph to start. Keep an eye on the Info palette. Adjust K to a value of 0.
5. Select Blue Channel in Curves, adjust Yellow so that its value is close to Magenta and slightly higher (1 to 2 value)
6. Select Red Channel in Curves and adjust Cyan to a value about 20%-33% of Yellow or Magenta.
7. Click OK in Curves.

So basically the formula is:
K= 0
Y= M with Y slightly higher
C= 1/5 - 1/3 of Y or M

This has worked well for me. Takes the guess work out for a "by the number" kind of guy like myself.

Best Regards,

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me-After.jpg (98.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Print.jpg (98.7 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM

Dan...... what an awesome job you did..... not only the results you got but you gave very clear step by step instructions, too..... I want to try this myself.....

I tend to be one who just 'eyeballs' the colors; however, the longer I sit and look at something I'm working on the more distorted those colors become.... sometimes shockingly so....... I like knowing there's somewhat of a formula for those things it's just the first time I've seen it presented so well..... thank you!

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitear
Hey Ikroll...... when you say you used the color picker..... were you judging the numbers by a sort of formula???? Your method is new territory for me but, judging by your results, I'd really like to learn it since the results are excellent !! Even if you could just point me in some direction I'd appreciate it...

Beth
I'm a feeler when it comes to things like this. I used color picker on a saturated area on the shirt. Assumed it was pure red and anything outside of that (blue and green) I negatively compensated by around that amount; pure feel. I tend to try to recreate the wheel when it comes to retouching, so, even though someone else may have come up with this method, I have no idea who. Still not perfect since I ended up setting the adjusted layer to Hue to get the result, but who says there is not more then one way to skin a cat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Wow......OK....... sort of like my cheesy way of sampling the offending color cast and filling a new blank layer with it then inverting it and setting the blend mode to soft light....... I mean...... mine is hugely global and anyone or anything in the shot is going to get a dose of it.......

Yours really is a feel thing and more fine tuned than my approach..... I'm still going to play around with what you've written but, knowing me, I'll have to take a bunch of breaks or wind up with everything all out of whack.....

Too bad there hasn't been some photo that's been created to 'cleanse the palette' so to speak when working with colors for extended periods of time.....like sniffing coffee beans between smelling perfume samples....... hey.... now that's an idea......

Thanks for the info.

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching