RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How are Schoellers Close Up Pictures Retouched?

Old 11-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Re: How are Schoellers Close Up Pictures Retouched?

He uses Kinos and Profoto for lighting. I've watched him print in the rental darkroom and he is real precise in his dodging and burning of the actual c prints many variations all marked up to map out what he has to do in the dark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 05:40 PM

If I remmeber correctly, he told interviewer from a magazine that he used old, special continuous lights from cinematography. (can't remmeber if it was Kino but i think it was kind of flurescent lights) He actually said that it was the harsh quality of the light creating "that look"....If you have ever seen the large print of Angela Josie taken by him, you will see how harsh and unflattering these lights were...every pores and lines of her beautiful face are accentuated. My guess you would probably reproduce such effects with two kinos without diffusion or light sticks from Broncolor or Profoto.

BTW Kinos are used often in cinematography and there are many different designs and discharge tubes other than what you see in still photography.

Last edited by singlo; 11-04-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM

The catchlights suggest a kino or some sort of striplight on each side of the subject mounted vertically.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching