RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Too Much Flash

Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Too Much Flash

Can this be rescued ? New to the forum. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro.jpg (90.5 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by cygnus; 10-23-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Can't see the image
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Patron

Re: Too Much Flash

Cygnus, welcome to Retouch Pro. Yes the image is recoverable. Here is a quick fix where I took the image into LAB color space nd added a new layer with its blend mode changed to color and painted over the blown out areas. Sorry if I did not get the skin tone correct but a simple Hue / saturation adjustment can shift it toward red or green.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cygnus rev2 MM.jpg (86.1 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 10-23-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 AM

welcome, cygnus.

difficult image.

i duplicated the original layer and added a blend mode of multiply and then duplicated this again, leaving the same blend mode on that layer. that brought back some color and depth but it was very yellow.

i selected the face and added some airbrush of the same yellow to the bright white areas just enough to make it not white. i then added a hue/sat adjustment layer of hue/sat and moved the yellows more towards the red.

i also added a small bit of clarify to give some shadowing and definition.

after all that it was mostly new layers with more airbrush on each, one for more color, one for shadows, and one for touch-ups.

somewhere in there i think i also added a color balance adjustment layer.

there was also a lot of push for adding light amounts of color to areas still a bit too white and for smoothing up transitions.

there were many, many steps here, so you're only getting a rough, quick explanation of all this.

at one point i thought maybe it would be better to simply take it to black and white and colorize the whole from scratch, but finally decided against that. though, it could be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro-1-k-1a.jpg (89.6 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 AM

I use Photoshop Elements 3 so don't know what the equivalent is in other versions, but I duplicated the layer and set the blending mode of the top layer to "Linear burn" - makes quite a difference on my monitor.

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linear-burn.jpg (88.7 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 AM

Didn't take much care in this but ... The blue channel has most detail in the face so duplicated original, apply image blue channel normal blend mode to the original and set layer blend to luminosity. Convert to LAB color and apply curves adjustment layer, steeping the lightness layer to get more contrast in the skin. Play around with A & B channels a bit to change color, then surface blur of 3px to both A and B. Unsharp mask 200,1,0 on lighness layer.

This was all aimed at the skin. didn't bother with lips eyes or hair at all.

Still more could be done if original image was better quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro_v1.jpg (100.0 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 AM

I took a stab and added an orange-ish fill layer over the image that I then set to multiply with about 50% opacity. Next I added a mask to the fill layer and very quickly (sloppily) masked out the background. I also de-noised the image to maker her skin seem a little glowy, smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchprok.jpg (93.8 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
Cygnus, welcome to Retouch Pro. Yes the image is recoverable. Here is a quick fix where I took the image into LAB color space nd added a new layer with its blend mode changed to color and painted over the blown out areas. Sorry if I did not get the skin tone correct but a simple Hue / saturation adjustment can shift it toward red or green.
Regards, Murray
One of the many tricks possible in LAB and no where else. However, if before you convert to LAB you first dupe the blue channel and then copy it into a layer in luminosity mode, painting in your color layer underneath will provide some needed detail. Lots of detail often gets hidden away in the blue/yellow channel. From this point, there's enough information that curves adjustments could bring things to a desirable conclusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlownOut.jpg (54.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 AM

I'm a first time poster here and have a very dumb question. Can someone point me to the instructions on how to post a photo? In my previous lurkings I've seen them, and now can't seem to dig 'em up. I'm hoping to post my try on the "too much flash" thread so I can get criticism of my newbie skills.

Thank you!

Sally
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 AM

Hi Sally

Welcome

After hitting REPLY go down to "Additional Options" ATTACH FILES hit MANAGE Attachments and from there you will get to upload window. BROWSE will allow you to select an image from your computer and once you see the image file in the window click UPLOAD. After the image is uploaded you will see a comment. That's it.

Hope it works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Perreten
I'm a first time poster here and have a very dumb question. Can someone point me to the instructions on how to post a photo? In my previous lurkings I've seen them, and now can't seem to dig 'em up. I'm hoping to post my try on the "too much flash" thread so I can get criticism of my newbie skills.

Thank you!

Sally

Hi Sally,

Flora has written some instructions on posting Images to the forums Here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching