RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

is this too much???

Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM

is this too much???

I ahve dodged and burned the whole face(not finished yet), is the higpass filter pluss a small amount of dust sctraches too much???

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toomuch.jpg (98.4 KB, 201 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Re: is this too much???

Gerry, nice work on cloning out the bra strap. The skin looks a little too blurred. I'm not sure if it was perhaps too much D&S or if you used some other filter. At any rate turn down the opacity of that layer and it will look more natural. Also while you have probably spent a lot of time on dodging and burning out the smaller imperfections (and a done a fine job I might add), if you look at the picture from a distance it is still blotchy. Here is a suggestion: zoom right out and try to focus on the face as a whole. Look at the transitions between the highlights and the shadows and try to smooth those out.

Hope this helps some.

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 AM

this is way to much. the colors are very patchy and it also has to much of a florecent glow. its a decent start, and still needs some work.

try turning down some saturation, and bringing some of the glow down as well. like i said about the last image of the same subject, this picture looks way proccessed and lost a lot of realism. what makes a great retouch is if you didnt know it was retouched at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Yes, great start Gary.

Sometimes, I too, get carried away with the retouch.

Try copying the original image, move it on top, lower its opacity to blend with retouched image. Apply some masking too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Gerry, I did a five minute quickie on the face just for comparisons sake. I used the healing brush to get rid of the bigger blemishes and then the rest I dodged and burned. Importantly, I also adjusted the levels and turned down the saturation in the reds a bit. I didn't use any blurring at all and, hopefully, it shows.

Your skin has lost texture and you need to blend it back in again. Soleah's suggestion is an excellent one. Alternatively, create a new set and drag all your retouch work into it. Now turn down the opacity. You will be surprised: 50% is often enough. Another tip is to move a copy of the original to the top, set the blend mode to Overlay or Soft Light, run High Pass (err to oversharpen slightly) and then turn the opacity right down until you think it looks good - perhaps 20 - 25%.

Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kristine-Head.jpg (99.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM

well done syd. well done.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks everyone for being so helpful! I've managed to even out the dar and light areas so far...I use d a bright/contrast filter and pushed way to the right on the contrast that gives me an overlook on the light areas...I burned them down and know it seems to even out...will post teh image within the hour...

Again, thanks everyone....The laste few days has been like a revelation for me you know, like you can see for the first time...

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 PM

well here goes...this is strcitly d&b, no filter...it's not finished, but I think that I'm on the right way here...ant tips on this? anything that you see that I can do better???

I'm working in it!

thank you guys for real good help!

gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db.jpg (98.3 KB, 398 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 PM

i see ther is still more work on the dark and light areas but I'm well pleased with the results that's come out of the d&b...
I hope you don't think i'm bragging, but I am kidding...I'm just so happy, casue I'm understanding the basics more and more...WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 06:28 PM

okey here is a finished one...what do you think? Strictly D&B...noe blurring....So I've worked like 16hours on this...haven't gone over the curves and adjustments on it yet, but anyone care to give me som pointers on how to get the right curve???

I've learned alot from doing d&b...

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kristine-retusjering2.jpg (96.8 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching