RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

When you download your camera what is next?

Old 11-02-2006, 06:51 AM

Red face When you download your camera what is next?

I have been looking over the new photos on my PSP window. First I crop if that is important for the composition, then I have been resizing to 600 pixals on the longest side at default resolution of 72. Now I am rethinking about everything I do with my photos. What do some of you do? I don't have Adobe PS, just Corel PSP, 8, 9, X, and X1. I have resized a few with resolution reset to 200 and still with pixal size at 600. Have not worked on these yet. Thanks for ideas, hints and suggestions. Hugs and smiles, Shirley
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 AM

Re: When you download your camera what is next?

hi,
I am newbie to photoshop... however my self... when it come to pictures...

I like the largest picture resolution i can get... for editing and printing purposes.... like a 640x480 too me is small .i like them much larger.. what ever my camera give me.. resizing a picture significantly to something smaller you will lose detail/quality/color of the picture... how much is lost depends on how much you shrink it..
note: cropping is a different story....

The dpi/ppi...if a picture is "only" going to be used for viewing on a monitor the 72-96 is satisfactory,, however if your going to do editing and or printing you want at least 200-300 dpi/ppi ..... so when i do my scanning or if my camera allows larger dpi setting i go with the 200-300 setting ...

now you didn't ask this but it important.. the format of the picture... jpg format is just fine for transmitting and viewing on pc monitors... but it a lossy format... the more you compress a jpg file (and resave a jpg file) the less quality you get... so for long term storage for those precious or important pictures.. i always keep them in either bmp, png, or tif format..!! those are non lossy format and they retain 100% quality of the picture...

Well those are my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsmom
I have been looking over the new photos on my PSP window. First I crop if that is important for the composition, then I have been resizing to 600 pixals on the longest side at default resolution of 72. Now I am rethinking about everything I do with my photos. What do some of you do? I don't have Adobe PS, just Corel PSP, 8, 9, X, and X1. I have resized a few with resolution reset to 200 and still with pixal size at 600. Have not worked on these yet. Thanks for ideas, hints and suggestions. Hugs and smiles, Shirley
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM

Re: When you download your camera what is next?

First thing I do after downloading photos from my point and shoot camera is to run a batch action to save the originals as TIFF.

When I shoot RAW with my production camera, I download from the camer a or card and use Adobe's Convert to DNG while downloading whichs allows me to date and name as I off load the shots.

Either way, I have a folder called "Burn These" that I put the picture's folders into (which gets backed up daily). Where there is enough data to burn a CD, everything in the "Burn These" folder gets put on archive CD. I lable the CD by date and general shoot info (10/4_11/6_ 2005- Mary's Wedding, Lake Shots, Golf Tournament ) etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching