RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Tech Pan film effect in Photoshop

Old 11-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Re: Tech Pan film effect in Photoshop

I really liked that photo. Too bad I can't use it. Here's another one from yesterday, but a totally different set-up. Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RetouchPro_Original2.jpg (88.9 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2006, 07:42 PM

this is done with the channel mixer but lighting wise it is nothing like the origional photo you posted in the hard sun light so the effect is totally different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RetouchPro_Original2.jpg (79.1 KB, 129 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM

I used the channelmixer to get some more contrast. Burned some of it too. But as LESider pointed out.

To get the result of your first posted image you should use similiar portrait image or it will be very difficult to see if you are getting close to the desired effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp.jpg (94.2 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks Guys,
Is there anything that can be done to salvage the image with the blue filter? I really like the shot so if I can use it in any creative way (color, black and white, other) I'd be really excited.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Thanks Guys,
Is there anything that can be done to salvage the image with the blue filter?
The #47 blue is a b&w tricolor separation filter. Interesting enough, the blue channel corresponds very closely to that. If you look at channels in that image you will see the red and green channels are essentially black. The image is almost entirely in the blue channel.

Looking at the blue channel and the histogram, it's apparent that your image is not exposed well. There are no blacks or midtones and the tonal range is very narrow. You have lost the separation between the models hair and the sky completely. You can pull the image from the blue channel and increase the contrast, but it's never going to ge a great image, you have lost too much.

If you had simply exposed normally, without using the filter at all, and then extracted the blue channel you would have had something to work with. The easiest way to extract the blue channel is to use apply image selecting the blue channel in normal mode. I'd create a second layer for this and leave the original intact so you can use it later. You can then use curves and/or other techniques to adjust the contrast and tonality as desired.

Be mindful of the effects of using the blue channel on the image. Like using the #47 with b&w film, blue areas will be lightened. The contrast between the sky and the clouds in the second photo will be decreased flattening the image. You may wish to also separate out the red channel to get a more dramatic sky and combine portions of the images. Using the blue channel will darken the skin dramatically but be careful -- any defects and blemishes wil be more apparent. Also, noise usually shows up the most in the blue channel as well.

Edit: I decided to attach a sample to illustrate the problem. The image on the left is the blue channel as found in the original image. Note the lack of tonal range and the lack of separation between the sky and hair. The image on the right is the same image with density and contrast increased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #47blue_example.jpg (9.3 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by BobJones; 11-13-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 AM

there is to little skin infor from the camera to salvage the picture...Best way to try is to do like this(I think it's the best way)

1: open the image
2: copy to new layer
3: blur-avarage
4:image adjustmnents - invert
[EDITED]
Forgot that slide down the opacity on the new layer until the blue and inverted colour is balanced....

5: image adjustments - channel mixer...psuh the monochrome button down in the left corner...

now you can experiment with it...

Gerry

hope this is helpul....

Last edited by superkoax; 11-13-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I was able to salvage a few of those blue filter shots into something that worked. Much appreciated and happy holidays.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post

Does anyone know how to reproduce the Tech Pan effects from a digital raw image? Here is a great example of the type of result I'm looking for.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=145417

Thanks.
I've not seen the Tech Pan, but I downloaded the Instant collection 1 from Eyesmeal film-effect-photoshop.com and the actions give so nice results. I shot in the past a film of Fuji FP-100c and the digital effect is so similar.
I'm now thinking on Alienskin Exposure, maybe it contains Tech Pan film.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM

First the "color" balance.

You don't convert it in B&W in raw, you leave it in color, then use the luminosity of the blue layer to affect RGB.

Either by apply image, or simply with color balance, or even selective color. There are a million ways to do this.

Put a desaturate adjustment layer on top of the stack.

Now texture:

Make a stamp off all layers.

Invert copy and blend at Vivid light.

Blur the copy with smart blur to get the texture, control the depth by threshold.

Don't go with a huge radius, or it will be way to sharp and crispy.

Desaturate the layer.

Now make a stamp of all layers and apply at linear light.

Disable the layer you blurred.

BAM you get the sharpness.

http://www.calvinhollywood-blog.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Patron

Not sure how much interest there will be in a post that started in 2006 which was before my time on this forum. As it has been revived just a few thoughts for anyone that may be interested...

Kodak Professional Technical Pan Film 2415 was a panchromatic film, slow speed with very fine grain when developed correctly and capable of producing high contrast images again depending on processing.

The extended sensitivity to reds (different to most panchromatic film) was quite noticeable in portraits where it had the ability to supress blemishes in Caucasian skin tones and also lighten red lipstick significantly.

It also acted on blues by darkening similar to the effect you would get with a red filter on a conventional panchromatic to darken sky.

So if you want to mimic this in PS with an original colour image then it is probably as well starting with the Red channel as your base point as obviously this channel will contain the lightest reds and the darkest blues.

As to grain structure this was a very fine grain film depending on processing and was used by most due to suppressing grain.
The only way to tell if you could get the same result is by having the original scene shot in colour and the with Tech Pan to compare side by side.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching