RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn to Smooth Skin?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Re: Dodge and Burn to Smooth Skin?

In the last couple of months I have learne tremendouse things training with dodge and burn on a 50% grey softlight layer!

My tip is:

1: Open up desired picture
2: duplicate background to a new layer
3:get rid of hard skin problems like scars or pimpels with clone or patch tool( I always make a selction of the area with the skin problems and copy it to a new layer...
4: Make a new layer, use blend mode Soft light, then push the box that say soemthing with 50% grey all the way down on the menu!
5: The first thing I do is to go over the very dark and light areas with dodge(lightens skin) burn(darkens skin). I zoom in around 300%(depends on pciture size). And then start working!
When you feel that the darkest and lightest areas are done

6: you open up a layer curve. Make the picture very dark so you can see the darkest areas good...Then start to even them out on the 50% grey layer. With the layer curve you can really see where the areas are darkest and lightes and it helps you to even out the skin...
7:do the same only make the curve very light to see the lighest areas...

I have small example on what D/B can do for you...I think that my thanks should go out to THEVEED who have given me som very good tips and advice on how to do it...D/B looks very good in theory, but when using it it can take a while to learn...I'm still training my eye to really keep the pictures real and not fake...

Hope this was helpful....

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...oo-much-db.jpg

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother
I'm willing to do it... Send them to my email. nataffa@hotmail.com

Any word on this tutorial... I am very anxious to get working with this method and so far none of the explanations have yielded smooth skin results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Any word on this tutorial... I am very anxious to get working with this method and so far none of the explanations have yielded smooth skin results.
Actually... he never sent the pics... I have one interesting pic, but it's going to take some time, because I have a lot of work to do for the hollydays
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother
Actually... he never sent the pics... I have one interesting pic, but it's going to take some time, because I have a lot of work to do for the hollydays
Awe bummer about him not sending the images. I really appreciate that you are still going to do the tutorial Natalia. Please do keep us posted on your progress!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM

I'll supply the pics if Godmother is still willing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamera
I'll supply the pics if Godmother is still willing.
sure... I have a lot of work to get done... and I'm wanting to do a video tutorial just for fun... but yes

Send it to me at ntaffarel at ciudad.com.ar

High quality I prefer .nef
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 PM

While waiting for a dodge/burn skin-so-soft tutorial, let's also look at other techniques used in the pursuit of good skin --
Kiska, a past member here, and a member at Innographx.com forum located a smooth skin tutorial that uses the healing brush with a grain pattern to retain some skin texture.

http://leonsandoval.com/tutorials/sm.../Part%20I.html

Part two contains the explanation about defining the pattern to use with the healing brush -- I'll look for an appropriate image and post it to show how nicely his technique works.

As for dodging/burning, I attended a seminar a few years ago that taught dodging on an overlay blend layer to reduce the wrinkles on a face (when appropriate). The instructor explained that we need to start at the end of the wrinkle and work BACK towards the beginning -- reducing the effects of age in increments and not necessarily taking all the wrinkle away. She explained that those wrinkles that move across the face (forehead) should often be left, or only reduced (for non-fashion/glamour situations, anyway), but that those wrinkles that move diagonally across the face from top towards the bottom are the ones that really add age to a face -- literally pulling the shape of the face away from its original form. These lines are the ones that we would often want to address in retouching where we want to show renewed energy and youth to a person. Again, we start at the bottom, the end of the wrinkle, and move backwards (through time) towards the beginning and stop where we think appropriate for the customer, the situation. On the overlay blend layer, using a brush that fits within the width of the wrinkle line, at low opacity, we dodge the layer beneath -- then we can use the layer opacity to reduce the effect even further if necessary and build up the effect gently and gradually so that it is (hopefully) not seen -- we just see the skin renewed.

Found this image on stock.xchng (no usage restrictions) - we can use her to show some techniques while we wait for a tutorial on dodge/burn for skin smoothing.

Here she is -- Original and after a "scrubbing" with a healing brush set to the noise pattern created according to the tutorial link above (set healing brush mode to "multiply", clicked on "aligned", and just painted over her skin in sections at a time. I think there is a skin texture appearance left, and it certainly took out most of the wrinkles. I made no effort to be discreet about which wrinkles should be smoothed -- I just swabbed her face/neck all over and tried to take out everything that I could. I could have lowered the opacity of the layer to reduce the effect, but I didn't -- it may look like a "blur job" except I think there is some texture -- see cropped area.

Now I'll try to show the dodge on the overlay layer method in my next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disappointed-StkExchg.jpg (98.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg scrubbed.jpg (91.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Scrubbed-crop.jpg (40.9 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 01-10-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 AM

Okay, this is only a little start, but here's a before/after of a wrinkle line that is being reduced by dodging on the layer above.

This is what some folks do, I guess, with a younger face that has irregularities and little rough patches, to smooth and soften it to look regular all over. Godmother can do it with curves instead of needing a brush. (I have trouble doing it with a brush.) The healing brush with a texture pattern seems "easier", but does it do the needed job?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reduced-wrinkle-start.jpg (49.3 KB, 188 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Okay, this is only a little start, but here's a before/after of a wrinkle line that is being reduced by dodging on the layer above.

This is what some folks do, I guess, with a younger face that has irregularities and little rough patches, to smooth and soften it to look regular all over. Godmother can do it with curves instead of needing a brush. (I have trouble doing it with a brush.) The healing brush with a texture pattern seems "easier", but does it do the needed job?
Ok this is almost the same (With curves you have more control and the colors are better when extreme touch up)

The ther one I don't like because it's not skin texture it's grain and you can tell. Skin texture doesn't look like that

I actually like to mix: Patch or Heal + Degrunge + D&B and that gives me the result I want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 AM

i believe dodge and burn is the best method of retouching. its mainly what i do when i retouch my photos. i dont really mess with anything else but that.

dont get me wrong, cloning and healing is essential as well, but only for certain areas ... like solid areas. but when you are talking about skin and texture, its all about dodge and burn.

you can take a look at my some of my before and afters at www.xanga.com/aaronology101 . all those images were about 80% dodge and burn, 20% everything else.

enjoy!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching